Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My cat has a Breeze box. Pellets and pads. Much less annoying than that clay powder poo poo.

I scoop poop every other day or so but the pads are good for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I used clumping litter for about 5 years with my last 2 cats. It was much worse about tracking out of the box than pellets/pads.

Granted, Beans will kick the pellets out of the box once in a while, but I can just sweep them up and toss them back in the box.

Chiseling cat piss and clay out of the litter box is not something I care to do again. The pads do a really good job of keeping the piss smell down, too.

There was a shortage of pads and pellets last year, so y'all keep using clumping clay, and leave the Breeze poo poo on the shelves for me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cats are pretty chill. Mine was a stray I took in around 6mo old. Young enough that he learned to adapt to me and my dog. Doesn't try to escape because he knows how bad it can be outside, or how good he has it inside.

We have a gentlemen's agreement that he gets to keep his balls due to his disinterest in the outdoors, but really, it's because he has FIV and keeping his nuts helps his immune system (per several vets I've talked to about it). He's very friendly and social. The first month was a little rough, but he blossomed into the best cat I've ever had pretty quickly. He's a touch over 4 years old now, had a few teeth pulled, but otherwise a picture of health aside from the FIV.

Sometimes he stands on the table and meows at me to come over so he can headbutt my chest and stretch his front paws up to my shoulders. :3:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrQwerty posted:

my cat shits on the floor directly next to the box if there is too little or too much poop in her box, it is a balancing act of street kitten from the hood preferences

she's still gotta get spayed and hasn't had her first heat yet, so hopefully some of her weirder poo poo chills out a bit

I am a dog person but I like this cat a lot, first one ever tbqh

Make sure the vet runs an FIV test before getting her fixed. Also stay on top of her teeth. Street cats tend to be more prone to dental diseases because their genetics are often a mess.

So glad my Beans is a boy. One of my last two cats went through heat once before being spayed (she didn't have FIV). I don't think I got 2 consecutive hours of sleep that week.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had a bombay-ish as my first cat. He was pretty chill. All black, yellow eyes, fat as the day is long, but not very people friendly. Miss that tub of lard.

Good on ya for grabbing a street cat. They need homes, too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Treecko posted:

I'm OK with a big lazy old cat who just wants to sleep in the bed all day

I don't want to have to train a kitten again

Bed, hell.

My cat took over the memory foam bag chair.

Which is good because I was going to throw it away, so at least it's getting use.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrQwerty posted:

she's super friendly, super skinny, super long and super tiny, we're guessing because of the bad start + she's probably a runt cuz her sibling that wanted nothing to do with us was also a small kitten but twice her size.

Mine was a few years old when I (well, me and the exwife) got him. The shelter couldn't tell us how old besides "somewhere between 2 and 8, probably." He went from 12lbs to 20lbs in about 3 years because he was so lazy and only ate dry food. He did not like wet food for some reason.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrQwerty posted:

the vet estimated her at 16 weeks when we got her first round of shots at the beginning of November; by the time her third round came up at the end of December she spat out a tooth on my desk the day before, then the vet said "welp she's got all her adult teeth so we were off by... some weeks."

At least you have a good idea on her age. My fat old boy, it was just too hard to tell.

I only roughly know Beans' age because he was still in those last stages of kittendom when I got him, between 4 and 6 months or so. He was probably 7lbs, hadn't quite reached his full length, but had his adult teeth. Now he's 12lbs and has a serious catnip habit. He just straight up eats it, then moseys to the chair for some lap time.

Hoochy koochy kitten catnip is a pretty good deal, btw. $10 for a half pound bag on amazon. It's fine cut, so he's not making GBS threads out twigs the next morning.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have a water fountain thing. My dog refuses to use it, but Beans likes it, so it's next to his food on the table (dog will steal his food otherwise).

Treecko posted:

Teach your cat to use the toilet that's why they always watch you poop

Never fails that when I go to take a poo poo, Beans always comes in to watch. He hears the lid go up and my pants drop down, and he's like, "time to headbutt that shoulder for the next 5 minutes from the sink."

I tried toilet training my second cat. I wound up with a wet cat that was afraid of the toilet afterwards.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's only gonna learn dogma from the catholics.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Treecko posted:

If you get a dog they clean the litter box for you

My dog did this when he was a puppy, completely stopped around 5 months.

There's a product called For-Bid that you can dump on poo poo that dogs are about to eat and it makes them puke it back up. You just have to get to the cat box before the dog and powder coat their next snack.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Crow posted:

Oh wait were talking about cat poop i saw "cats poo poo" and had ptsd sorry

Sounds like it would have made a good barn cat.

I found scruffing and brief isolation to work on breaking my cat's bad habits. I'd try to catch him in the act, so he knew why he was being scruffed and sent to the bathroom for an hour of cat jail, but he caught on pretty quick that there were rules, like "don't start poo poo with the dog." They're total buddies now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Poor big beef city. Thought of toxo and died.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My cat will not stop jumping on the sound bar which has touch sensitive buttons on the top

Lay some scotch tape on it, sticky side up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Toxic Mental posted:

Cats piss like 3x a day and poo poo 1x a day so a week of that is 21 clumps of piss and 7 fat shits and the cats are stepping on them and walking all over the house like that. That’s super gross.

Piss is stored in the pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Toxic Mental posted:

This is what we use. They're really good, you just have to change the pad once a week and scoop the poo poo every day, except I prefer to just hand-bag it so that any of the pebbles with poo poo smear on them get taken out as well.

Yeah, breeze box owns. It's all my current cat has ever known. My previous two cats used fresh step for a few years until I bought a couple of breeze boxes.

My cousin tried using a breeze box with his old cat, but he was kinda dumb and decided to poo poo outside the box while munching on the pellets. Apparently it's not too uncommon for cats to think the pellets are food. Anyhow, the box lasted all of a day in his house and the cat needed its' stomach pumped. Lived for another 5 years after, but had to use clumping.

Stepping on one of those pellets in the middle of the night while trying to take a piss is like stepping on a 1x1 lego block, though.