Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Ever wanted to put fake gold on the line watching DnD creatures fight to the death for your amusement? Welcome to Goblin Bet!

Forum's user OtspIII is half of the duo who made the game, but they're too humble to make a thread about it. This is a problem since there's nowhere to talk about the game. So here we go.

How does it work, you ask? It's salty bet, but with less anime and more numbers.

You can know fuckall about DnD and still come out on top. The stat-sheets help a lot! Hell, I haven't been near a DnD thing since Baldur's Gate and I still get the gist of it. Find something with big numbers and throw gold at it. What could go wrong? ...well a lovely wizard could come along and banish it, but how likely is that to happen?

Each tournament starts with the 16 crappiest monsters in DnD. The winner joins the next tier of slightly less crappy monsters and it repeats until it's all dragons barfing at eachother.
The player with the most gold at the end trades it all for a platinum token, which they can use to adopt and name a monsters.

The downside of it being based on DnD is it isn't super diverse like salty bet where there's at least five different Gokus. Most creatures will be back for each new tourney. They keep it spicy by giving them special skills each time though. The swarm of rats could be wearing a pair of power gauntlets, or it could have a spell memorized, as it is want to do.

Anyway, it's fun. Come bet with us.

Site: https://goblin.bet/

Roster:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I only learned about this today from the new game thread and I already spent about 3 hours betting, it's great.

I'm guessing being contained to the osr doesn't help, wish they would've used pathfinder 2 instead so they have a giant pool of monsters.
:goonsay:

Still salty that te vorpal wielding flesh golem didn't get a single crit in before his demise.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
always bet on chains baby

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

YES bread posted:

always bet on chains baby

Chain gang for life

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
how are the odds calculated? It doesn't seem to be CR -- is it actually based on win rates? Curious how likely you are to actually beat them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you spell out the combatant's name backwards in chat it will win, every time

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

tildes posted:

how are the odds calculated? It doesn't seem to be CR -- is it actually based on win rates? Curious how likely you are to actually beat them.

The odds are based on how many people bet on each side.

Apparently it used to be decided by the amount of gold before, and that didn't work out.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CHUUUUUUUL

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Are the people in chat real people? It almost seems like a really good chatbot.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Tombot posted:

Are the people in chat real people? It almost seems like a really good chatbot.

It's fine, we're just barely failing the Turing test

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

We're watching an AI play DnD. We're not good at talking to people.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
saying stock phrases is part of the fun

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Always bet on Chuul.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ABOC

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Came here to say this thing is awesome and big ups to the goon who made it. Enjoying the hell out of it.

I would love a saltybet style soundtrack but with DND themed tunes. Have you thought about setting up a twitch channel?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
game good

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

Came here to say this thing is awesome and big ups to the goon who made it. Enjoying the hell out of it.

I would love a saltybet style soundtrack but with DND themed tunes. Have you thought about setting up a twitch channel?

100% this - this is awesome but some sound effects and background music would be killer for keeping attention.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

OverClocked ReMix could fit. They're cool about streams playing their music as long as they get credit. It's the playlist Games Done Quick uses.

I've had it on in the back and there's nothing like a wet noodle fight set to a Final Fantasy boss theme.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 28, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Folks, meet the greatest hero you never did see. A CR1 Hill Dwarf Rogue fighting his damndest up to the CR 5 bracket until he got disqualified on a time-out draw.

(And a thanks to the adopter for keeping him before he was lost to history.)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Odd Wilson posted:

Folks, meet the greatest hero you never did see. A CR1 Hill Dwarf Rogue fighting his damndest up to the CR 5 bracket until he got disqualified on a time-out draw.

(And a thanks to the adopter for keeping him before he was lost to history.)

It was a beautiful fight that shouldn't have ended in a draw. He'd run in, stab, run out and the shambling mound would shamble forward then the rogue would continue his stab and run routine. Never got touched.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I need to stop gaining peanuts and then bet it all on one guy that loses.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Marilith are bullshit. SEVEN attacks per round?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

7c Nickel posted:

Always bet on Mari

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

somehow I'm even worse at this than I was at saltybet, but it's still a good time

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

I don't remember the block she's in, but she carves up dragons and they deserve every bit of her bullshit.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 29, 2023

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish the site had a mobile version or app. This is like, the ultimate podcast game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DrManiac posted:

I wish the site had a mobile version or app. This is like, the ultimate podcast game.

Yep, seems like the perfect phone game during lunch hour or something

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

server crashed earlier today, but looks like the admin rebooted everything now

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is good.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Gyoru posted:

server crashed earlier today, but looks like the admin rebooted everything now

Yeah, the extra attention ended up filling the server's harddrive space with log files. I had to clear them out and reboot and everything worked again.

I'm enjoying all the ideas/opinions in this thread. There are a few things, like a mobile version, that have been somewhere on the to-do list for a while, but hearing people request them does shift my priorities a bit.

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

I'm out of practice on twitch--does it still have that annoying 30 second delay? That's the main thing preventing me from setting that up--that and the fact that it would literally just be an OBX stream of a web page, which feels a little silly. It would probably help with discoverability a ton, though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any plans for having "Event" style tournaments? Like you could have themes or special conditions on a certain day. I dunno, just something to keep people engaged I guess

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah something like a March Madness style tournament would be cool.

Monster Madness

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, the extra attention ended up filling the server's harddrive space with log files. I had to clear them out and reboot and everything worked again.

I'm enjoying all the ideas/opinions in this thread. There are a few things, like a mobile version, that have been somewhere on the to-do list for a while, but hearing people request them does shift my priorities a bit.

I'm out of practice on twitch--does it still have that annoying 30 second delay? That's the main thing preventing me from setting that up--that and the fact that it would literally just be an OBX stream of a web page, which feels a little silly. It would probably help with discoverability a ton, though.

The delay on twitch is significantly better these days, usually around 5-10 seconds if not faster.

There are also settings on OBS to specifically aim for low stream latency. Though something to keep in mind is Twitch will auto-ban your account if it streams for 48 hours without stopping the broadcast, but you can literally stop broadcast and restart it immediately to avoid that.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 29, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Running into an issue where I can no longer place bets, reloading the page isn't working either.

Edit: Closing my browser fixed it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Popete posted:

Yeah something like a March Madness style tournament would be cool.

Monster Madness

Special events would be fun, if possible. Maybe all PC character tournaments? Adopted characters only?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

GUN FROG

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cowman posted:

GUN FROG

Gun Frog winning me big money, love that guy.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Cowman posted:

GUN FROG

Some fun gun frog trivia: Bullywug was initially meant to be drawn holding a spear, but the spear looking like a gun became an inside joke to the point where when mutators got added making the gun official sometimes seemed like an obvious thing to add.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

goblin bet owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This game is very dangerous to my work from home productivity.