Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't think games are getting longer, I actually think there's more viable options for good, rewarding short game experiences these days than there used to be. While older games were often beatable in a single sitting, frequently the game was designed to be difficult enough that you had a lot of work to do in terms of memorisation and repeated attempts at the game until you could reach that point.

IMHO one thing that I think makes a hell of a lot of games feel longer is the current popularity of sticking open worlds, crafting mechanics, and RPG elements like itemisation and leveling into any and all genres regardless of whether or not they actually serve the core game design by being there. This stuff bloats perfectly fine 10-20 hour games out to 60 hours without there being much differentiating the last 40 hours of running around ticking off icons on a map from what you were doing by hour 10 when you unlocked the last of the core mechanics.

I've been enjoying modern games a lot more since I started treating 100%ing the game/exploring all side content as required rather than completely optional, and also just being better at looking at a game and going "actually I've played enough of that and I'm okay to stop".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU