Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
That sounds like more of a pacing thing, you thought the game was wrapping up then it kept going another 5 hrs. There's some games I actively avoid playing too close to bed since it's unpredictable if there'll be a natural break point to stop or not. Long story heavy games are one of those since it's always hard to tell how long their end sequences are going to be and sometimes there's a plot twist that both makes things take longer and makes you want to play more to see how it plays out. Most online play has issues with queue times or unpredictable match quality/length. You also don't want to be working on something RNG based or finding collectables that aren't explicitly marked out. Games with just really hard bosses/sequences can also be in this category if there's a legitimate chance of getting stuck on it for, like, hours.

Usually this leads to me having one big long game I'm working on, but really only play when I have a couple hours available on weekends or something, alongside a few other games I know are good for shorter length. That may be a replaying a game I already beat and won't be tempted to over play or an only moderate difficulty platformer with natural break points due to levels. Vampire Survivors was a really good one in this regard since each run is capped at being only around 30 minutes.

A lot of the games I play seem to hover around 20-30 hrs playtime. I think technically the older console games were shorter at their base, but since I was only buying like 1 game per 3 months back then, I'd do all the extra optional stuff to pad it out the extra 10 hrs. Like, the most recent game I finished was God of War 2018, which has a couple optional extra hard boss fights and optional areas post-game, which is normally the kind of thing I'd be into but decided to skip in favor of moving onto the next game. Meanwhile when RE4 came out, I fully finished out the mercenaries mode and the medals or whatever it was. I *think* both games ultimately averaged out into the 30-some hours range, but it's not like I have playtimes for both sitting right in front of me.

These days I tend to favor the indie stuff, usually they're willing to do more experimental/interesting stuff because the games are almost always under 20 hrs and often well under 10. At the same time, some of these builder games like factorio or Oxygen Not Included I already have hundreds of hours in, which usually isn't something that would ever happen back in the day aside from MMOs like world of warcraft. So I really try to moderate how many of these longer games I take on in general. I still haven't played Witcher 3 or Like a Dragon despite really wanting to and already owning them, specifically because I know both of them will be something like 100 hrs each. I know once I get started, I'd be very tempted to marathon them for those 100 hrs and I could play through something like 6 other games in that same amount of playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU