Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
So my wife goes to bed at 2 in the morning last night. I said I’d be right there. Just needed to finish off The Last of Us 2. Without spoilering it I had finished of the main story, I was back home. But the game just kept on going and going and going. Fell into bed at 5 in the morning.

Same with Metal Gear Solid 4. I was ”just” going to watch the end movie and that fucker went on for like 1.5 hours.

So is this a trend that some games outstays their welcome or drags on unnecessarily? I’m not even trying to plat games or get 100% on them, but 60-100 hours to finish a game is a bit too long, rarely have the developers the talent to keep the story interesting for that many hours.

What are some of the longest games you’ve played from beginning to end not taking 100%-ing them into account and did you have fun all the way with them?

gallilee fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think there are exceptions of course, but I don't feel like games are that much longer. There's more bullshit involved to pad out the length of the game.

Take open world games, if you beeline the main story you might finish the whole thing in 10 hrs or less. If you are supposed to play them right, there's travel time, there's activities to side track you like picking up chests or collectables. Then you have all this stuff and you need to spend time in the menu comparing stats or dealing with complicated game systems instead of actually playing.

Yeah, the Ubisoft way. I bought Farcry 6 and played for an hour or so and then I realised it’s the same padding bullshit in this game like in all their titles and I said gently caress it. Not well spent 70 bucks, but hey, at least they look good.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

man nurse posted:

I think the answer is you’re getting older and have less time and patience for big long sprawling games.

Sadly I believe you are absolutely right. I can’t be bothered to start a game no matter how much I like to because I know I have to be somewhere or do something in an hour or two.

(Also starting playing at 2am is indeed stupid, but I have to sneak it in when I don’t have any plans and the family is in bed)

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Glass of Milk posted:

This is it for me. I used to play Daggerfall, Star Control 2 and Wing Commander, and those weren't short games by any stretch of the imagination. We're just not 13 anymore with no responsibilities.

Same generation then. I finsihed Ultima 4-9 back in the day, finished EVERYTHING. I guess they were pretty drat long so my confession here just shot down my initial argument 😀