Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Pron on VHS posted:

For Purdy or Pollard??

Pollard 6 months to a year for an ACL

Purdy if it's Tommy John is 1 to 2 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Pollard was an ankle injury not ACL, sounds like he'll be fine for training camp

UCL is who knows, they're probably hoping to avoid Tommy John surgery and get him back next year but if it goes the TJ route there's almost zero chance

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Pollard 6 months to a year for an ACL

Purdy if it's Tommy John is 1 to 2 years

Pollard broke his fibula, didn't he? That's a few months, and he'll definitely be fine by training camp. Tommy John for a QB is generally a year-long recovery. Two years wouldn't be unheard of, but it'd be pretty slow.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Tommy John Surgery for QBs does not have the same 18 month timeframe as for MLB pitchers, it seems to be like 6-8 months

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

And he still went out and tossed the ball a time or two, god drat

That first throw after he comes back in, he drives strong off his legs and rotates his body *hard*, basically throwing the ball with his shoulder and not moving the elbow, and it was a check-down less than ten yards downfield

It was awful to watch

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

There should be a federal investigation int the niners, that many QBs should not be dying like that

We've got an arm, two legs and a head, now?

What is Shanahan building? :catstare:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

He could pray the pain away with the support of friends and family like Matt Stafford

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Nodoze posted:

Tommy John Surgery for QBs does not have the same 18 month timeframe as for MLB pitchers, it seems to be like 6-8 months

Who was the last notable qb to have it? I can only think of Ben with his totally not Tommy John and his arm was shot.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

sweet thursday posted:

He could pray the pain away with the support of friends and family like Matt Stafford

No he needs to get on the phone with Mahomes for that good God juice that healed his high ankle sprain and wish him a speedy recovery of those dilated pupils.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who was the last notable qb to have it? I can only think of Ben with his totally not Tommy John and his arm was shot.

Jake Delhomme. Carson Palmer needed it but didn't want to get it and just did rest/rehab

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Nodoze posted:

Jake Delhomme. Carson Palmer needed it but didn't want to get it and just did rest/rehab

Not exactly inspiring on either front! :smith:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

kiimo posted:

A lot of us are arguing with twitter idiots not people on this forum who are the most educated and reasonable on planet earth.

Imagine tackling Mahomes out of bounds, getting a flag and then fans screaming they should have "let it go". lol what sport are you watching these are QBs they are protected and this isn't new information.

I've been watching football since people specialized in turning themselves into human missiles and the QB got brained on every pass play, and hitting a dude with two feet out of bounds is a 15 yarder every single time going back at least that long

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

indigi posted:

a lot of people are mad that Burrow didn’t get a roughing call when Chris Jones pushed him as the pass left his hand

I mean I don’t think that should have been called either but it clearly wasn’t at the same time. Chris took like 3 steps after the ball left burrows hand.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

mdemone posted:

That first throw after he comes back in, he drives strong off his legs and rotates his body *hard*, basically throwing the ball with his shoulder and not moving the elbow, and it was a check-down less than ten yards downfield

It was awful to watch

Knowing now that he had a fully torn UCL, the fact that the ball didn't just wobble and fall out of his hand the moment he pulled it back (a la Mahomes on the :gonk: play) is insane.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You got like 4 other ligaments in that elbow! And don't even get me started on the tendons. The fact is, he quit on his team.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Asproigerosis posted:

You got like 4 other ligaments in that elbow! And don't even get me started on the tendons. The fact is, he quit on his team.

:lol: those NY sports radio guys must have laid the lumber on SF (and by lumber I mean like, a couple hundred bucks).

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
That 49ers/Eagles game was possibly the worst NFL game I've ever seen. It was like watching a professional fighter vs. a guy in handcuffs. Just completely hopeless for one side to the point that it would've been more prudent to forfeit instead of risking more injuries forcing guys to run the same play for 30 minutes straight. There may have been uglier games due to weather or general incompetence by one or both sides, but I don't think I've ever seen a game that was such a blatantly unfair fight between two teams that should be pretty even.

In another universe, though, there is an all-time classic 49ers win known as the "Christian McCaffrey wildcat game."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blind Pineapple posted:

That 49ers/Eagles game was possibly the worst NFL game I've ever seen. It was like watching a professional fighter vs. a guy in handcuffs. Just completely hopeless for one side to the point that it would've been more prudent to forfeit instead of risking more injuries forcing guys to run the same play for 30 minutes straight. There may have been uglier games due to weather or general incompetence by one or both sides, but I don't think I've ever seen a game that was such a blatantly unfair fight between two teams that should be pretty even.

In another universe, though, there is an all-time classic 49ers win known as the "Christian McCaffrey wildcat game."

Remember the Covid season where all the Broncos QBs were out and they had to start a WR at QB?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I do vaguely remember that. I didn't watch that game, though I imagine it was similarly uncomfortable to do so.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Blind Pineapple posted:

I do vaguely remember that. I didn't watch that game, though I imagine it was similarly uncomfortable to do so.

At least that was a regular season game, so it was more funny than depressing unlike the Niners-Eagles game.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It was also the Broncos of the last few years so no one's season was credibly on the line.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the news come out. they've let it go that the #1 player in the nfl got pushed with his whole body out of bounds. Now The Cincinnati Bengals are going to win the Super Bowl

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also the QB-less Broncos were facing the Taysom Hill Saints, which evened the playing field a bit.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Always bitch about refs but always embrace them as Fair and Just when you win.

slightly biased against you but you overcame the adversity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

the news come out. they've let it go that the #1 player in the nfl got pushed with his whole body out of bounds. Now The Cincinnati Bengals are going to win the Super Bowl

It wasn’t a bad flag. Any ballcarrier gets that flag. You can’t shove people already out of bounds.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can turn off the auto-pilot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oops i get it now. the auto pilot was me all along. i wasn't saying it's a ticky tack call by bringing up the #1 player. tony romo said this the other day so i'm going to re-use it to try and explain what i meant. imagine in the 1992 playoffs when everyone was saying clyde drexler might be as good as michael jordan, and in that game clyde drexler made some good shots but kept throwing interceptions downfield because it was football and basketball mixed together. then michael jordan had the ball at half court near the end of the game and Alaa Abdelnaby blatantly trucked him to the floor, and then there were people saying you have to let it go and not call the foul in that moment. that's way funnier than if it had been craig hodges holding the ball. that's alls i meant

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wrong thread

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cavauro posted:

oops i get it now. the auto pilot was me all along. i wasn't saying it's a ticky tack call by bringing up the #1 player. tony romo said this the other day so i'm going to re-use it to try and explain what i meant. imagine in the 1992 playoffs when everyone was saying clyde drexler might be as good as michael jordan, and in that game clyde drexler made some good shots but kept throwing interceptions downfield because it was football and basketball mixed together. then michael jordan had the ball at half court near the end of the game and Alaa Abdelnaby blatantly trucked him to the floor, and then there were people saying you have to let it go and not call the foul in that moment. that's way funnier than if it had been craig hodges holding the ball. that's alls i meant

Andey

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I blame the result entirely on the fact my tshirt was a day late :colbert: (not really they were great to work with)

It’s a good time to be a Bengos fan :unsmith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cavauro posted:

are you alright, friend?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
He's fine he just wanted an excuse to namedrop Alaa Abdelnaby

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His post is great because I'm convinced the people posting those kinds of complaints for real on Twitter are actually NBA fans and think refs should swallow their whistles and let the players play at the end of games and can't stop making it about Jordan and LeBron for some reason even though this is football and what?

NBA fans are the biggest bitches of any sport an 60% of their dialogue involves refs and it's exhausting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Nba refs make nfl refs look like the Lehman brothers of microwaves

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

kiimo posted:

His post is great because I'm convinced the people posting those kinds of complaints for real on Twitter are actually NBA fans and think refs should swallow their whistles and let the players play at the end of games and can't stop making it about Jordan and LeBron for some reason even though this is football and what?

NBA fans are the biggest bitches of any sport an 60% of their dialogue involves refs and it's exhausting

The refs let the players play at the end of Lakers-Celtics and everyone melted down. I’m not going to defend NBA refs but they’re definitely going to get poo poo no matter what happens.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Farking Bastage posted:

I blame the result entirely on the fact my tshirt was a day late :colbert: (not really they were great to work with)

It’s a good time to be a Bengos fan :unsmith:

Is there a who dey? on the back?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
NBA games have about 12x more possessions per team than NFL games, so refs are gonna make more mistakes by sheer volume anyway, but the game also has fewer natural stopping points so it's not so easy to correct egregious calls (and especially egregious no-calls). The year or two that they tried to expand replay there, the last 2 minutes of every game were horrible.

Baseball and Football are games where it makes the most sense to have extensive replay because there is clear beginning and end to each play, but even those have not been without problems.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Replay should really be used to determine really egregious stuff, I think it's a bad mental place to get into for the league to have people be staring at really marginal calls for 5 minutes. People just need to accept that there's going to be some razor thin calls that can fall either way instead of going for this weird unachievable perfection.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

MikeCrotch posted:

Replay should really be used to determine really egregious stuff, I think it's a bad mental place to get into for the league to have people be staring at really marginal calls for 5 minutes. People just need to accept that there's going to be some razor thin calls that can fall either way instead of going for this weird unachievable perfection.

People in general are really, really bad at dealing with uncertainty and grey areas and I don’t think that’s going to change any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Even if you can't reach perfection, you should aspire to get as many calls correct as possible and replay is ultimately a good thing for the game. The idea of games and seasons and careers being decided wrongly because the game might be three minutes longer is repugnant to me.