Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nervous posted:

Is there a who dey? on the back?

it should be a 'whomst the'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Borsche69 posted:

it should be a 'whomst the'

Dey Bart Dey

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

I do vaguely remember that. I didn't watch that game, though I imagine it was similarly uncomfortable to do so.

It was actually really loving funny because the broncos did it to themselves by being morons and trying to defeat contact tracing measures. Although I do feel a little bad for the sacrificial emergency qb.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/09/07/broncos-quarterbacks-attempted-to-cheat-contact-tracing-last-year

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 31, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Isn't one of the main reasons replays can take so long due to fixing the game clock? Between that and how sometimes the game can suddenly stop due to a gently caress up with the game and/or play clock (like that third down do-over the Chiefs had), I think focus should be on making that work better first and foremost, then worry about all the garbage calls that screw over my team.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe instead of blowing a loving whistle to stop play you do something visual like i dunno cut the lights

okay maybe not cut the lights but there has to be a better way then blowing a whistle in the loudest stadium in the NFL that tells players to stop

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kiimo posted:

Maybe instead of blowing a loving whistle to stop play you do something visual like i dunno cut the lights

okay maybe not cut the lights but there has to be a better way then blowing a whistle in the loudest stadium in the NFL that tells players to stop

They could put radios and mics in every helmet instead of just the QB.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

MJeff posted:

Even if you can't reach perfection, you should aspire to get as many calls correct as possible and replay is ultimately a good thing for the game. The idea of games and seasons and careers being decided wrongly because the game might be three minutes longer is repugnant to me.

Mods ban this filth

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

kiimo posted:

This is America, just give the refs guns.

Edit: Also the players, fans, and especially the conscessions staff. Oh, and the cheerleaders.

Everyone but the people in the VIP boxes, really.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Whenever a team wins a Super Bowl the current team owner must step down and the coach or QB or Super Bowl MVP becomes the new owner.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vengarr posted:

They could put radios and mics in every helmet instead of just the QB.

Red Leader (Mahomes) : All wings report in.

Red 10 (Pacheco) : Red Ten standing by.

Red 7 (Butker) : Red Seven standing by.

Red 6 (Cook) : Red Six standing by.

Red 9 (Juju): [over headset] Red Nine standing by.

Red 2 (Ronald Jones) : Red Two standing by.

Red 11 (MVS) : [over headset] Red Eleven standing by.

Luke (Tommy Townsend) : Red Five standing by.

Red Leader : Lock mouthpieces in attack position.

Gold Leader (Kelce) : It's no good, I can't maneuver!

Red Leader : Stay on target.

Gold Leader : We're too close!

Red Leader: Stay on target!

Gold Leader : [shouts] Loosen up!

Gold Leader : Gold Leader to Red leader, lost Tyreek, lost Watkins.

Red Leader : I copy, Gold Leader.

Gold Five : They came from... free agency!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Being able to drown out the offense' audibles with your screaming is an integral part of the stadium experience though, and I would never want that to go away. So that's out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

kiimo posted:

It does seem fairly archaic that we have to do stuff like literally blow whistles and throw flags and make a T with our hands to do things that affect the games in extremely meaningful ways.

Vengarr posted:

Being able to drown out the offense' audibles with your screaming is an integral part of the stadium experience though, and I would never want that to go away. So that's out.

Fans being able to scream so loving loud that they actually cause the opposing team to take a penalty is sacrosanct and must not be trifled with, yes.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 31, 2023

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
You'd think there could be some button system they could easily do. Like have it connected to some lights or something to easily communicate to everyone. Challenges/booth reviews are red Penalties are yellow Timeouts can be blue or something

Then you can even see for sure if they pressed their button in time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

Red 10 (Pacheco) : Red Ten standing by.

Red 7 (Butker) : Red Seven standing by.

Red 6 (Cook) : Red Six standing by.

Red 9 (Juju): [over headset] Red Nine standing by.

Red 2 (Ronald Jones) : Red Two standing by.

Red 11 (MVS) : [over headset] Red Eleven standing by.

Luke (Tommy Townsend) : Red Five standing by.

Red Leader : Lock mouthpieces in attack position.

Gold Leader (Kelce) : It's no good, I can't maneuver!

Red Leader : Stay on target.

Gold Leader : We're too close!

Red Leader: Stay on target!

Gold Leader : [shouts] Loosen up!

Gold Leader : Gold Leader to Red leader, lost Tyreek, lost Watkins.

Red Leader : I copy, Gold Leader.

Gold Five : They came from... free agency!

:laugh:

So does that mean Andy Reid is General Dodonna?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Mods ban this filth

Look at it this way. No, you can't reach perfection (Hawksaw), but you should still try because you may get close (Outbreak Perfecred). :v:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 31, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fartknocker posted:

:laugh:

So does that mean Andy Reid is General Dodonna?

Should be Jek Porkins...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

my friends during the game were talking about Reid coming up with a rule where he gets first bite of everyone's lunch in the locker room and calls it Prima Nacho and I just remembered because we were all pretty drunk by that point and couldn't stop laughing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's weird to me that the Chiefs Bengals game is the subject of all this drama over unofficiating cuz I don't think it was any better or worse than any other postseason NFL game.

Genuinely I think a lot of the problems could be fixed by just simply not breaking up ref crews from the regular season. Just award playoff games to whichever crews perform the best on their internal metrics and if the NFL equivalent of Angel Hernandez is mad tell them to pound sand. None of this seems hard or complicated to me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it was the only really close game of the divisional / championship rounds.

oh no the refs stunk in Eagles - 49ers doesn't really carry any weight when the 49ers were down to a QB with a broken arm handing off down 3 scores.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno what even really happened in the Eagles - 49ers that was that bad. There was a lot of penalties but that was because the 49ers kept committing them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Eagles got away with a drop being ruled a catch, but that's because they got the play off before the refs could check and Shanny didn't challenge. There was the whole wire-punt kerfuffle but if the refs have no substantial evidence to overturn, what can they do. The Brock fumble was easy enough to miss in real-time and did get fixed on review.

In retrospect, it wasn't really that bad, just seemed worse than it was since the 49ers got a billion penalties on defense (though again, mostly warranted) and those early miscues kinda flavored things.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MJeff posted:

I dunno what even really happened in the Eagles - 49ers that was that bad. There was a lot of penalties but that was because the 49ers kept committing them.

The two specific things people have cited most are the botched call on the Smith catch on fourth down — which, to my eye, was a tough call to make and it's really on Shanahan for not throwing the challenge flag more than it's on the refs for not getting the call right — and the Eagles punt that hit the wire and gave the Niners great field position but couldn't be called back for reasons. That second one's annoying more than potentially game-changing, but still.

Other than that, yeah, it really was just the Niners totally loving melting down. They had a few calls against them early and everything snowballed.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Devonta Smith non-catch on the first drive when the 49ers were still healthy was the worst officiating blunder of the weekend. Then there was the punt into the sky cam wire fiasco, but that was mostly just stopping the game for no reason because why would there be a camera pointed at the sky cam wires? They were never gonna find a conclusive angle for that.

Perhaps their worst decision was not calling a TKO after Johnson got concussed instead of letting the game carry on for another agonizing 2 hours.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Toaster Beef posted:

which, to my eye, was a tough call to make and it's really on Shanahan for not throwing the challenge flag more than it's on the refs for not getting the call right
Agreed 100% here, especially if you see the guy who made the catch urgently running up to his teammates saying "we gotta get to the line and snap the ball".

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

/Andy Reid with his finger on the timeout button, staring intently as the 3rd quarter clock nears six minutes

Reid: almost…..there

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Devonta non catch is such a tough one to me and exposes another weird idiosyncrasy of the NFL where you can just make it so something that didn't happen actually did happen just by going fast enough. The ref is kinda handcuffed there. From his perspective, it looked like a catch, you only see the ball come out on the other side. Expedited review doesn't really help either because the Eagles just kind of outraced it. It just kinda feels like you shouldn't be able to make a non catch into a catch by just snapping the ball fast enough.

Having said that, Shanahan has to know the game situation, see the Eagles body language and know the risk-reward in that scenario, you have the ball at mid field vs. you're about to give up 7 and just throw the drat challenge flag. Holding on to a timeout is not worth it there.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Devonta Smith non-catch on the first drive when the 49ers were still healthy was the worst officiating blunder of the weekend. Then there was the punt into the sky cam wire fiasco, but that was mostly just stopping the game for no reason because why would there be a camera pointed at the sky cam wires? They were never gonna find a conclusive angle for that.

Perhaps their worst decision was not calling a TKO after Johnson got concussed instead of letting the game carry on for another agonizing 2 hours.

They should do like the NHL and have an Emergency Emergency Quarterback in the stands, available to both teams if they run out of QBs.

The play clock is extended to 2 minutes so he can diagram the play in the huddle with a stick.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

MJeff posted:

The Devonta non catch is such a tough one to me and exposes another weird idiosyncrasy of the NFL where you can just make it so something that didn't happen actually did happen just by going fast enough. The ref is kinda handcuffed there. From his perspective, it looked like a catch, you only see the ball come out on the other side. Expedited review doesn't really help either because the Eagles just kind of outraced it. It just kinda feels like you shouldn't be able to make a non catch into a catch by just snapping the ball fast enough.

Having said that, Shanahan has to know the game situation, see the Eagles body language and know the risk-reward in that scenario, you have the ball at mid field vs. you're about to give up 7 and just throw the drat challenge flag. Holding on to a timeout is not worth it there.

Shanahan is a terrible coach and definitely the worst challenge flag thrower in the nfl right now.

He’s good at scheming until he meets anyone close to his level in this regard and gets exposed, and he has ZERO situational awareness. He’s carried by the front office.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vengarr posted:

They should do like the NHL and have an Emergency Emergency Quarterback in the stands, available to both teams if they run out of QBs.

The play clock is extended to 2 minutes so he can diagram the play in the huddle with a stick.

That's basically what Josh Johnson is and he lasted like a quarter before he got obliterated too.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Every team should be allowed to carry 3 active QBs in any game, regardless of other roster limits.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That was originally a thing, but it was abandoned because the third QB was functionally useless. He got no practice reps, and if he entered the game, the other QBs weren’t allowed back in. So he couldn’t even spot-fill during an injury evaluation.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Vengarr posted:

That was originally a thing, but it was abandoned because the third QB was functionally useless. He got no practice reps, and if he entered the game, the other QBs weren’t allowed back in. So he couldn’t even spot-fill during an injury evaluation.

That doesn't make any sense.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

The aristocrats NFL

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vengarr posted:

Sounds like they should have scrapped the arbitrary limitations included with having a 3rd QB than the whole idea?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

kiimo posted:

I mean, the refs are already mic'ed up and patched in to the PA system, so it would probably be easy to set up a protocol where they can patch themselves in for whistles

Toaster Beef posted:

The two specific things people have cited most are the botched call on the Smith catch on fourth down — which, to my eye, was a tough call to make and it's really on Shanahan for not throwing the challenge flag more than it's on the refs for not getting the call right — and the Eagles punt that hit the wire and gave the Niners great field position but couldn't be called back for reasons. That second one's annoying more than potentially game-changing, but still.

Other than that, yeah, it really was just the Niners totally loving melting down. They had a few calls against them early and everything snowballed.

Yeah, the Niners D was playing super physical and aggressive once Purdy went out and that became their best chance of winning the game, and the refs eventually started cracking down. Most of the calls were totally justified, and even the borderline ones kinda have to be expected if you're doing stuff like injuring Nick Bosa on the sideline after throwing an Eagle right into him.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kawalimus posted:

It made more sense back when teams only had 46 active players on game day. You had to pick 7 players from the 53-man roster to be inactive. The exception let one of those players be designated the emergency QB, who could play despite being “inactive”. Not letting the other QBs return to the game was meant to prevent teams from cheesing the exception.

They eventually realized this was stupid and just made it so only 6 players had to be inactive. Then they realized it was stupid to pay 6 people not to play, and got rid of game day inactives altogether.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Black Lighter posted:

I mean, the refs are already mic'ed up and patched in to the PA system, so it would probably be easy to set up a protocol where they can patch themselves in for whistles

A gigantic Family Feud X appears on the field

show me potato salad!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Lighter posted:

I think only the white hat is miced, but I find this funny because I'd imagine you would get so many hot mic situations going on here with everyone trying to have their mics on a lot more often.

Like when young Guns got caught yelling 'Everyone shut up!' last week. I mean this is good to me, go for it, I just think the NFL might disagree.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Grittybeard posted:

I think only the white hat is miced, but I find this funny because I'd imagine you would get so many hot mic situations going on here with everyone trying to have their mics on a lot more often.

Like when young Guns got caught yelling 'Everyone shut up!' last week. I mean this is good to me, go for it, I just think the NFL might disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAtc0R4Hq7Q&t=25s

Refs mic'd up trying to call attention to a stoppage of play reminds me of the PA guy at a demo derby saying RED FLAG, DRIVERS, RED FLAG when someone is continuing to go wild after everyone else stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!