Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Relentlessboredomm posted:

uncalled block in the back on the punt, after a drive in which the refs called incredibly suspect grounding against burrow (and then mahomes did the exact same thing on the final drive and it went uncalled). there's tons of examples of them loving it up this game dude.

Grounding was the correct call. I am absolutely not prepared to stretch the definition of "the vicinity" to that extent. Plus they converted the first down anyway so I'm not sure what difference it makes. The "sixth down" drive was outrageous, but the Chiefs punted anyway.

By far the worst call of the night that actually made a difference was the successful challenge on the spot of the ball. That was not forward progress - he extended the ball, and "crossing the plane" only applies on the goal line. Was a decisive mistake on a touchdown drive.

I guess I just can't get upset by NFL officiating when I'm watching NBA games every night. It puts this poo poo in perspective. NFL officials make mistakes, but they aren't emotional basket cases handed petty authority to redefine the rules minute-by-minute like NBA refs are. Unlike the NBA, I really do think the NFL is sending its best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Relentlessboredomm posted:

dude i can get mad about bad NFL refs and still agree that the NBA refs are in a whole nother class of bad

Well, I'm sorry, I watch enough of the NBA that it's affected my baseline of what constitutes a problem.

Mistakes are gonna happen. Some of those mistakes are gonna be important. My favorite team had a blatant missed OPI go against them in the playoffs in 1975, which was arguably the best chance at a Super Bowl they ever had. lovely as it is, you can't prevent it 100% of the time. The most that can be done is to make sure that there isn't a foundational systemic problem, which I just don't see a sign of here. They blew some calls. That's part of the game.

I'd really like to help you, buddy, but I'm all out.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 30, 2023