Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Should have made it Peyton Vs Eli with them as QB/coaches

I feel like less people dropped out when it was in Hawaii every year???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huntley played in 5 games, scored 3 touchdowns and turned the ball over a half dozen times.

There's just no argument for him in the pro bowl outside of as a fun goof like when the fans voted in that terrible player in hockey some years back.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Kalli posted:

Huntley played in 5 games, scored 3 touchdowns and turned the ball over a half dozen times.

There's just no argument for him in the pro bowl outside of as a fun goof like when the fans voted in that terrible player in hockey some years back.

Hockey fans did it multiple times. The last time the league couldn't finagle the vote so he was traded to a different conference and sent to the minors to try and keep him out. Fan outrage forced the leagues hand to let him play.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

syzpid posted:

I feel like less people dropped out when it was in Hawaii every year???

I think that’s been confirmed a few times by players, a trip to Hawaii after the season was more appealing than Orlando as was done for a few years recently, or now Vegas I guess. Also playing it the week before the Super Bowl so none of the players from that being involved hurts as well.

EDIT:

syzpid posted:

Hockey fans did it multiple times. The last time the league couldn't finagle the vote so he was traded to a different conference and sent to the minors to try and keep him out. Fan outrage forced the leagues hand to let him play.

And then he won MVP of the All Star game too :scott:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish they'd release player ballots

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pro Bowler Matt Ryan

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There is something novel and fun about taking your family to Hawaii, whereas Vegas is like being in a multi-day Draft Kings commercial.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Codependent Poster posted:

Pro Bowler Russel Wilson

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Davis Mills had a positive TD-Int ratio! put him in!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Crazy how bad the Ravens were this season when they had two pro bowl QBs

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Why's Allen not playing? Just can't be assed?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Codependent Poster posted:

Pro Bowler Mike White

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fondly remembering how bad Trubisky was at the skills competition

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

MJeff posted:

Why's Allen not playing? Just can't be assed?

Probably. Last year he blew it off for a golf tournament. He's also still recovering from the elbow injury.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

joke's on the NFL, if the Ravens can't extend Lamar they already have a pro bowler in the roster. kind of a joe montana/steve young situation

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I think Allen and Rodgers are both playing the golf tournament again this year

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ah, so that's why we won't see Rodgers at the Pro Bowl this year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We were robbed of two-time Pro Bowler Mitch Trubisky.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tua should never be on a football field again. Herbert struggled against any good defense and mostly beat up bad teams. Lawrence is already in the pro bowl replacing Mahomes but still had a lot of rough patches.

Lamar struggled with injuries a lot and the Ravens offense as a whole was a big step back from prior years.

Also, this is the players' vote - so it's who they think is the best, and, well, he's the alternate for Allen as voted on by the players. Huntley impressed the locker rooms.

Pro bowl is fan vote

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nah see everything is fine

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Is that three over a lifetime? Because if so, a whole buncha rookie and 2nd year folks joined Tua on the “time to retire” bandwagon like J Phillips and K Pickett

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I can't believe I'm saying it, but Davis Mills was...robbed of the Pro Bowl?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Is that three over a lifetime? Because if so, a whole buncha rookie and 2nd year folks joined Tua on the “time to retire” bandwagon like J Phillips and K Pickett

Tua’s decerebrate posturing indicates midbrain involvement, as opposed to cortical.

So instead of him being at risk of developing deficits in executive function (memory, personality, impulse control etc) he could develop problems with his autonomic system. That’s blood flow, digestion, breathing, etc.

He could develop something like central sleep apnea and have to wear a bipap ever night for the rest of his life and eventually die of a stroke because he’ll have afib. Or he could develop chronic sleep paralysis and spend an hour every morning awake but paralyzed. or he could be real unlucky and develop central (thalamic) pain syndrome where every sensation is painful. Or everything is a vibration that never stops.

Fortunately (or not) when you see thalamic or pontine lesions those patients are generally too disabled to kill themselves.

So yeah. He needs to retire. Don’t gently caress with the midbrain.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Honestly feels like with Tua and the 49ers situation were inching closer to QBs just wearing flags. Probably sucks for physical runners like Lamar or Allen but probably for the best in the long run

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I agree with you Tua needs to retire but that’s beside the point of my post in response to that article. Does that article specify what types of concussions are necessary?

quote:

Maroon is a neurological consultant for the Pittsburgh Steelers and a clinical professor at the University of Pittsburgh. He’s also a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, which on its website cites the University of Pittsburgh’s Brain Trauma Research Center in saying, “The risk of concussion in football is three to six times higher in players who have had a previous concussion.”

For reference, this is the guy who the NFL sent down to check on Tua (i believe the NFLPA sent someone as well) and they all concluded same ol thing.

quote:

“My caveat: If the brain is not fully recovered, there’s a higher incidence,” he said.

“Given all offseason with no more contact, the odds are very, very positive that he would be returning next year,” Maroon said, adding he would not have any added concern for Tagovailoa’s well-being.

Which, obviously, feels like he’s just another in a long line of doctors hired by the NFL NFLPA and individual teams all to push the main agenda. But I’m trying to connect what you typed out - to what that article is saying - to what these doctors are saying.

If I’m understanding you correctly.. a guy like J Phillips, who previously retired in college due to concussions, is actually better off because of the type of concussion?

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 31, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Pro bowl is fan vote

Alternates are voted by players, though. Fans choose primaries and alts are almost entirely player chosen.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was told the QBs would be wearing protective adamantium mesh weave by 2023. Just another goddamn broken promise.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mr. Nice! posted:

the afc struggled for good qb play this year outside of burrow, allen, and mahomes. lamar was ahead of him, too, but is also hurt. players vote on alternates, and he's alternate for allen. mahomes is replaced by lawrence, and as far as i know burrow hasn't yet announced whether he's playing or not.

even Derek Carr is better than Huntley, from a 2022 stats point of view at least

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

the afc struggled for good qb play this year outside of burrow, allen, and mahomes. lamar was ahead of him, too, but is also hurt. players vote on alternates, and he's alternate for allen. mahomes is replaced by lawrence, and as far as i know burrow hasn't yet announced whether he's playing or not.

This post is rather confusing on several accounts. Lawrence and Tua were really very good. Not even a question - even counting injuries on Tuas sport. But even moreso you seem to be attempting to justify something (Huntley being the 1st alternate) that isn’t true and tbh does not need any justification because he’s such a low alternate it doesn’t matter. Lawrence and Tua were always slated to take over for the guys who were Super Bowl bound.

quote:

Tagovailoa had been named a first alternate Pro Bowl in the AFC, but was poised to replace either Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes, one of whom will advance to the Super Bowl after Sunday’s AFC championship game.

Edit i struggle with someone saying Lawrence didn’t have a good season.

quote:

387 584 66.3%. 4113 25 8

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 31, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1620480727002550279?s=20

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

This Tyler Huntley slander is bullshit. He only threw three interceptions all season. The fact that he isn’t starting the Pro Bowl is a travesty.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

I think that’s been confirmed a few times by players, a trip to Hawaii after the season was more appealing than Orlando as was done for a few years recently, or now Vegas I guess. Also playing it the week before the Super Bowl so none of the players from that being involved hurts as well.

I wonder if it's also becoming more culturally acceptable for players to tell the NFL to gently caress off or conveniently be at a golf tourney that week. Guys seem to be getting more aware of how their career could end in the blink of an eye (or at least talking about it publicly) on a total freak accident. Why risk that on a game that absolutely no one cares about. You do get paid but for most pro bowl caliber players it's chump change.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ravens officially franchise tagging Lamar.

Exclusive franchise tag too

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ravens officially franchise tagging Lamar.

Exclusive franchise tag too

All I saw was that Rapp said he expected BAL to use the exclusive tag, not that they actually tagged Lamar. Did I miss something?

(Though TBF it was probably p close to a foregone conclusion that he was getting the exclusive tag anyways)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

All I saw was that Rapp said he expected BAL to use the exclusive tag, not that they actually tagged Lamar. Did I miss something?

(Though TBF it was probably p close to a foregone conclusion that he was getting the exclusive tag anyways)

I’m gonna go ahead and guess that the fine folks at Pat Mcafee show (where i got that from) just didn’t vet the source.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
that podcast is irritating. Why is he always standing and yelling in an A shirt, why is his other host have such a doughy ugly face thats always zoomed in on

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Throw the YouTube stream up on one of my screens, then keep it at volume 15. 3 other screens for work. Easy way to keep my adhd satisfied AND get incorrect news!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Amy Pole Her posted:

Throw the YouTube stream up on one of my screens, then keep it at volume 15. 3 other screens for work. Easy way to keep my adhd satisfied AND get incorrect news!

All of the news on that show is incorrect. Unless, of course, it says something potentially positive about Aaron Rodgers going to the Jets.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eagles will wear midnight green and the Chiefs in white. This is your Superbowl update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

even Derek Carr is better than Huntley, from a 2022 stats point of view at least

Carr is going as well and even acknowledges he doesn’t deserve it.

https://twitter.com/derekcarrqb/status/1620460224619634689?s=46&t=zH_Hlp2MLoM54syV3qqZ6Q