Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will NBER declare that a US recession started in 2023?
Yes
No
Zaurg
View Results

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/ShayneOnChayne/status/1634854824192909312?s=20

bank runs, typically not something you see absent a recession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/ShayneOnChayne/status/1634854824192909312?s=20

bank runs, typically not something you see absent a recession

on the other hand they banked for such a niche sector, and invested in assets that would do poorly when they're niche sector does poorly. it certainly strongly points to a recession, perhaps a severe recession in the world of vc backed tech startups, but i think it's a little early to be drawing conclusions about the wider economy

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I honestly wonder if a single person who isn't on twitter even knows about the SVB situation.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Are we getting another rate increase? It seems divided after pricing in a 50 just last week.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
unless we see the threat of contagion develop in the next week, i have to figure we're at least going to see another 25bps

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

I honestly wonder if a single person who isn't on twitter even knows about the SVB situation.

My 94-yr-old grandmother knew about it, apparently from Fox News.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

err posted:

Are we getting another rate increase? It seems divided after pricing in a 50 just last week.

fed funds futures are currently pricing no march rate hike from the fed, but things are changing very rapidly by the hour

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RFzS1q6.gifv

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

somehow we will have both a recession and housing prices will go up another 10% this year

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Devonaut posted:

somehow we will have both a recession and housing prices will go up another 10% this year

Housing prices historically aren't heavily impacted by recessions from what I can tell. The great recession/financial crisis of course nuked them, but housing was a central part of that mess. So in a "normal" recession you should only see a slight slow down or something like that.

I'm not saying a recession won't impact them but don't take it for granted that housing prices get demolished like 08/09.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Housing markets are hyper local so while you can talk about trends in the national sense, you can’t make any personal decisions based on those trends.

Fun to speculate about, but worthless to act on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah like in the glorious housing crisis where home values imploded my market experienced... 0%-1% growth.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I don’t know if anyone here watched The G Word special that Adam Conover for Netflix, but he helped make it apparent that banks collapse all the time, so much so that the FDC prepares for it on a regular basis. I think banks make bad decisions all the time, so this doesn’t indicate a recession to me. However, the next post should probably be “will the USA have a depression in 2025” because….

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I don’t know if anyone here watched The G Word special that Adam Conover for Netflix, but he helped make it apparent that banks collapse all the time, so much so that the FDC prepares for it on a regular basis. I think banks make bad decisions all the time, so this doesn’t indicate a recession to me. However, the next post should probably be “will the USA have a depression in 2025” because….

Yeah and while big, it sounds like this is a textbook run causing it after years of poorly diversifying the loan book.

No reason to panic unless everybody everywhere panics.

So... 50/50 recession.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm not particularly concerned about svb and related fallout, but it is notably larger than the typical failed bank and collapsed in an unusually quick and public fashion. looking at the last bank to go into fdic receivership, almena state bank back in october 2020, had $70 million in deposits at the time. signature bank had $88 billion in deposits and svb had $175 billion in deposits. so we're talking multiple orders of magnitude higher than your typical bank failure, with svb as the second largest after wamu. roku's ~$400 million account at svb is almost six times the entire total of the last bank to go under. even if it isn't panic worthy it's certainly news worthy

if anything it's the first tangible sign that interest rate hikes are doing something after almost every metric has remained sticky over the last few months

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

do you guys think BFC should have a new megathread just for general "Global economics and related current events" discussion?

right now that sort of discussion is scattered across like 4 different threads, including this one. which has been okay, but having a thread with a focus on that topic may allow for some better discussions and also lighten the non-securities derails or offtopic chat in, say, the stocks thread or BWM thread.

would anyone want to make an OP for a new thread like that? (I can if nobody volunteers)

I know agronox of stocks thread backs this idea

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pmchem posted:

do you guys think BFC should have a new megathread just for general "Global economics and related current events" discussion?

right now that sort of discussion is scattered across like 4 different threads, including this one. which has been okay, but having a thread with a focus on that topic may allow for some better discussions and also lighten the non-securities derails or offtopic chat in, say, the stocks thread or BWM thread.

would anyone want to make an OP for a new thread like that? (I can if nobody volunteers)

I think a megathread would be a bad idea, both because it'll become a target for the doomsday econ crowd and because the discussion being split up between different threads on BFC is actually a positive. The discussion isn't split so much as it is focused, and different threads are better able to focus on different aspects of the situation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm not opposed, but there's probably a good chance it ends up becoming indistinguishable from either a thread in cspam or dnd. would probably add more to the mods plate to keep it on a more bfc track

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i think it would be nice to have a perspective from BFC on macro issues, megathreads are kinda the new normal for facilitating discussion in late era SA

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

As an avid reader of the CSPAM Doomsday Econ thread: yeah I’ll take the BFC flavored version.

I don’t think that they’d be THAT different in topical content, either. I’m not sure that there’d be some major flame war or whatever; it’s not like the CSPAM thread is one homogenous boogeyman which is calling for the dissolution of money (and v.v. BFC is not purestrain neoliberal solve-it-with-means-tested-horseshit).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Macroeconomics is fake

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
But only because the bond market yield curve is inverted

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Yes to current events megathread, there's a lot of stuff that doesnt really fit into current threads.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I’d take more BFC content. It’s a pretty chill crowd here and I learn a lot. So that’s cool.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

pmchem posted:

It’ll turn into a cspam or D&D doomer thread and then someone will have to mod it. Up to you if you’re up for that. Don’t burn out.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i would prefer a similar thread here that is a little less doomsy and where the response isn't just, "do nothing. who cares"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

i would prefer a similar thread here that is a little less doomsy and where the response isn't just, "do nothing. who cares"

it'd be just as doomsy, but with more charts and graphs

LanceHunter posted:

I think a megathread would be a bad idea, both because it'll become a target for the doomsday econ crowd and because the discussion being split up between different threads on BFC is actually a positive. The discussion isn't split so much as it is focused, and different threads are better able to focus on different aspects of the situation.

this is what I think too

also I think it'd be a business & finance thread without the careers part

today is the day I actually consciously noticed that BFC doesn't have a generic chat thread, though, and that used to be the norm but nowadays it seems like most subforums have one and maybe that's all BFC would need to be able to generically talk about the economy without having it be the forever-focus?

If we do wind up with a general economy thread, I'd like to propose it be a no-tweet zone. I do not want a news thread where people "post news" via tweets. That's part of what leads to doomscrolling behavior, because twitter is heavily biased towards rage and despair as clickbait.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

it'd be just as doomsy, but with more charts and graphs

this is what I think too

also I think it'd be a business & finance thread without the careers part

today is the day I actually consciously noticed that BFC doesn't have a generic chat thread, though, and that used to be the norm but nowadays it seems like most subforums have one and maybe that's all BFC would need to be able to generically talk about the economy without having it be the forever-focus?

If we do wind up with a general economy thread, I'd like to propose it be a no-tweet zone. I do not want a news thread where people "post news" via tweets. That's part of what leads to doomscrolling behavior, because twitter is heavily biased towards rage and despair as clickbait.

I think our generic chat mostly ends up in the toucan-zone of the BWM thread. My thought is that a general biz-and-finance thread will cannibalize the other ones, given we only peak at around 50-75 ppl during work hours anyway.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

alright folks, thanks for the comments. based on the overall vibe, I'm not gonna start a new general econ thread now myself. but if someone else starts one and tries to make it work, well, it's a marketplace of ideas and I'm not gonna stop 'em.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah i mean this forum i think has usually been - yes there is a lot of totally hosed up economic poo poo but you probably gotta live through it so here's how you can maybe make that work

but general econ chat i don't think is super useful. unless you want to turn this in to RECESSIONWATCH 2K23

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

alright folks, thanks for the comments. based on the overall vibe, I'm not gonna start a new general econ thread now myself. but if someone else starts one and tries to make it work, well, it's a marketplace of ideas and I'm not gonna stop 'em.

I did the needful created the thread we've been dancing around since mid-2022

:siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027219

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

lol i enjoyed this post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i mean this forum i think has usually been - yes there is a lot of totally hosed up economic poo poo but you probably gotta live through it so here's how you can maybe make that work

but general econ chat i don't think is super useful. unless you want to turn this in to RECESSIONWATCH 2K23

my popcorn is ready, i'm here 2 WATCH 4 RECESSION

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So, we've now got third estimate for the US GDP for Q1 of FY23, and real GDP grew by 2%. The Atlanta Fed's latest estimate for Q2 is about 2.3% growth (and, critically, at this point even their lowest forecasts see growth rather than decline).

Unless there's a steep drop starting right now, it's looking like no recession for 2023.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When is the 2024 recession poll going live

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Despite the best efforts of everyone involved, there was no recession in 2023.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'll throw in my actual take - in large part I think recessions are psychologically driven and the fact that everyone is convinced that everyone else believes that there will be a recession drives behavior. So in that sense yeah, I think a recession is likely despite many of the underlying numbers being pretty solid.

I was wrong. I am predicting no US recession in 2024 so that means there will be one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

When is the 2024 recession poll going live

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Fixed!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Despite the best efforts of everyone involved, there was no recession in 2023.

there's still time, these things are post-dated by many months!

(probably no 2023 recession though, labor market metrics were too strong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pmchem posted:

there's still time, these things are post-dated by many months!

(probably no 2023 recession though, labor market metrics were too strong)

There would have had to be two consecutive quarters of contraction, though, and the numbers for Q3 are pretty much locked in.

Going ahead and calling no recession in 2024, though I think tech will continue to take a beating and suffer an industry-specific downturn that will have all of us computer touchers feeling like there is one.