Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will NBER declare that a US recession started in 2023?
Yes
No
Zaurg
View Results

Baddog
May 12, 2001
https://i.imgur.com/4e84MI3.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

I look forward to the end of the year so I can reflect back on how completely wrong I was.

I was right last year, there was no recession in 2022. But for some reason I still lost a lot of money, damnit.

Looking forward to the same thing happening this year!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Everyone leaning on this indicator seems strange to me. We know that it is 99% that in 10 years rates will be lower than they are now, that's why it is priced that way. Not a guarantee that a recession is right around the corner though.

But are we dumb for thinking that *this time* the fed will manage the situation correctly? Or will they again not cut rates until it is too late, well after the bread lines are around the block.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sustained levels of low unemployment historically precedes recessions:

This is another one of those "there is always a calm before the storm" prognostications. How calm is calm, how long can calm go on before we're "due", etc etc etc. Get out the farmer's almanac!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

I mean, is it really meaningful to discuss technical recessions when the average American has effectively been in one since about 1978? :v:

Feels like less earnings power huh, not even flatline.

I guess perhaps it's just stories and our conception of the 60s and 70s, maybe things weren't *that* great back in the day. But I know my grandparents seemed to be doing ok, with very little education, one person working, and blue collar jobs.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

This guy has been on point with his HOPE model. I have to believe that we would already be seeing impacts in employment (most lagging indicator) in a normal cycle though. We're in a new "living with disease/people taking multiple full time jobs" economy though, things are so goddamn strange. Maybe going to get even stranger.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

.... after the FY24 federal budget gets eviscerated in whatever debt-ceiling compromise is struck.

ahhh goddamnit. This is going to be such a shitshow. And honestly is making me want to get bearish again, or at least buy some insurance.

Will there be any R's who will work with dems on this? Or will everyone completely capitulate to "gut anything useful out of the budget while funding the space force to fight back against the jewish space laser menace"

If the latter is more than about 20-30%, I should probably get more bearish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Fixed!