Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I'm LobsterboyX and I support this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

And then this morning I got a delivery. Of course they showed up when I was in the middle of a test, and couldn't clear the driveway, but this got dropped off:

Now, what could be under that lump of plastic wrap?

Apologies for the pics, the garage is getting a bit full and the weather outside is being, uh, very disagreeable today.
But man, considering all I had to go off of were some very blurry eBay pics, this engine appears to be in great shape.
All the parts are there, the manifolds are there, and according to the ad, aside from needing points it should be in working order.

Then I got a really tiny box to go with it as well.
Like, I can't understate how amused I am at just how tiny this transmission is.

Shop vac in the background for scale.
I'm not really sure what condition this transmission is in, but at least I've got one now/

So now I've got the running gear, I guess its time to get to work on the body.

details!!! take some pics of both sides of the motor..

The buick 3spd is a pretty great little transmission, very easy and somewhat customizable.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

Speaking of original from the 40s, I did do one thing for the Buick.
I bought some new keys for it:

how much, from where and are there more?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Those are great choices - however the car you posted looks to be a bit more like a base/clear with a more modern flake job to me. the originally laquer paint would have been a bit more subdued - if your going for a hot roddy/modern look then thats perfect! if your going for more of an original look, this would be more correct: https://www.zoomclassiccars.com/vehicles-for-sale/used/1940/Buick-Super-Series%2051%204%20Door%20Sedan/1193215

cant wait to see more progress on these!

Edit: I also have a ton of color books that I can double check if needed!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
For interior stuff, reach out to SMS auto fabrics - https://smsautofabrics.com/ - they will send you a sample sheet showing exactly what your car would have had - they are very expensive and not the easies to deal with, but it will give you a good starting point for what kinds of materials your going to be looking for - IIRC all these cars had a gray mohair interior, some had pinstripes, others had subtle accents in the fabric.

Shame about the condition of the front end/grill - I'm headed to a super secret sale tomorrow of my late friend who had a ton of parts ect. I'll keep an eye for a grill.

I may have a hood trim part that is equally as hosed, its yours if you want it - a competent stainless guy should be able to re-form that for you.

for that radiator, I'd highly suggest finding the oldest rad shop in your area and having them repair/recore that one before even thinking about trying to find a interchange. they'll de-solder the top, clean it out with rods, boil out all the crap ect... the stock radiators on these cars can cool a steam locomotive if they're free of any debris and all the tubes are clear - far more efficient than any modern aluminum garbage.

re: wiring - those blocks often fair well, but really if your wanting to find a wiring harness kit that comes with brand new fresh blocks for that car look no further than : https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ - this is really the biggest money option, you can find a more universal kit for far less money but its not going to be exact and I find them to be more work in the long run and if your time is money, they kinda equal out in price vs frustration.

I've really been wanting to get one of those drum stripper things, the old freight train has one I've been eyeballing - I've been holding off because I'm not ready to get super messy around the garage. If I had it in hand, id be tempted to strip my roadster and rattle can it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Hah! I'm really glad you still have that wheel!! - it will fit, but its not right for your cars

I have a friend thats buying up those wheels and having them recast - I think he's giving 75 bucks per core - since you have 2 of them, you may be able to get some money off one fresh one.

-Rocker trim is going to be a tough one, I had to pay quite a bit to get some for my 42, they're just sitting there. Matter of fact, they came from the same guy who is doing the wheels I just mentioned - I can give you his contact.

I didn't have the heart to go up to buy stuff from my late friends son, but I will soon, I dont want to let the vultures pick the place over too much.

Call up SMS just for kicks - they used to give the samples for free, dont know if they still do, but they will give you exact swatches.