Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wait, I forgot Netflix's got Derry Girls now. It's good again. Go watch it, it's funny and Irish as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, I forgot Netflix's got Derry Girls now. It's good again. Go watch it, it's funny and Irish as hell.

:yeah:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Right? Hey Netflix, want to put up an onscreen notification that explains to my six-year-old why when she goes from Mommy's house to Daddy's house, her watched content, favorites, and recommendations aren't the same anymore?

To prevent mommy and daddy from passive aggressively adding things to their kid's watch list to screw with each other.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
i just realized i haven't watched netflix in like 5 months. I'm cancelling.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

olives black posted:

Yeah, I quit after season 2.

Season 3 was the best season, and 4 was alright. 2 really, really, really sucked.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Netflix just reactivated my account and charged me with no warning. I stopped it ages ago and must have left a hotel tv logged in or something.

They said they were very kindly going to give me this one time refund for a completely unauthorised charge so gently caress you Netflix. Never using them again if that can happen in future and they won't refund.

So yeah, go change your password and log out of all devices.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Apparently the entire country of Belize shared just one Netflix account, so it seems like Netflix was justified in their new decision

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Smugworth posted:

Apparently the entire country of Belize shared just one Netflix account, so it seems like Netflix was justified in their new decision

Now we know why McAfee murdered his neighbors.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Cool, can’t use my mom’s Netflix that I’ve used since forever because I live in Sweden, and now my dad can’t use my HBO Max account in the US because Sweden doesn’t have Max.

Yo ho ho it is.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Stranger Things was all downhill after season 1

Stranger Things fell off the kind of cliff that makes me wonder why I thought it was good in the first place. They really should have gone with their original idea of True Detective style disconnected stories for each season because I got really sick of their cast of Lovable Characters.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 29, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The scene with the dnd nerd rocking out on top of the trailer was pretty baller.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Nice Van My Man posted:

Stranger Things fell off the kind of cliff that makes me wonder why I thought it was good in the first place. They really should have gone with their original idea of True Detective style disconnected stories for each season because I got really sick of their cast of Lovable Characters.

The Second season was the worst though. It was a real slog. #3 was kind of bad too. The fun part of the show is the mystery and they made a good choice with the 'runnin' up that hill' motif in the last season. They needed to film them back to back after the first season and just get it over with. The cast is going to be like 25 years old by the time season 5 is released. Also, it was so loving stupid that they gave Will the same ugly haircut.

I think they were kind of blessed to have such an interesting premise for the show that they could afford to go off the rails for seasons 2 and 3. Oh, and do they have any understanding how far Russia is from the US even if they fly from Anchorage?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The start of Season 2 was cool as hell when the monster was a big cyclone spider demon in hell, then it got demonstrably less cool when it was made of meat and ended up just being the physical manifestation of a dead psychic from the russian experiment gang or whatever. Then in Season 3 the monster got even less mysterious and became just a big pile of meat, and it became even more clear that it was just a manifestation of some dead guy's anger. But by this point the show doesn't care about the monster anymore and it thinks it wants to be a teenage relationship drama so after that the monster just turns into a human with some meat tubes on his back and the story becomes about the annoying hick cop in russian prison and weird poo poo like that.

It started out as a strong supernatural thriller then steadily chipped away at the supernatural to make it a story about the mundane and natural with some weird soap opera tier weirdness mixed in.

And that's not even considering the tonal 180 it did halfway through where it decided to stop being about a group of D&D nerds and even made the kid who wanted to keep playing D&D out to be a loser who got bullied out of wanting to keep playing D&D

The lesson to be learned is that horror media needs to stop explicitly explaining the motivations of its monsters and/or humanizing them, and remember to keep the monsters in the spotlight because they're the only thing that sets your monster media apart from others.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 29, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

deep dish peat moss posted:

The start of Season 2 was cool as hell when the monster was a big cyclone spider demon in hell, then it got demonstrably less cool when it was made of meat and ended up just being the physical manifestation of a dead psychic from the russian experiment gang or whatever. Then in Season 3 the monster got even less mysterious and became just a big pile of meat, and it became even more clear that it was just a manifestation of some dead guy's anger. But by this point the show doesn't care about the monster anymore and it thinks it wants to be a teenage relationship drama so after that the monster just turns into a human with some meat tubes on his back and the story becomes about the annoying hick cop in russian prison and weird poo poo like that.

It started out as a strong supernatural thriller then steadily chipped away at the supernatural to make it a story about the mundane and natural.

And that's not even considering the tonal 180 it did halfway through where it decided to stop being about a group of D&D nerds and even made the kid who wanted to keep playing D&D out to be a loser who got bullied out of wanting to keep playing D&D

Yeah, it's hard for me to even make any kind of coherent statements about the show because every season is like whiplash, it goes in a different direction each season. Sure the characters, setting and mystery are similar but it feels as though they have no idea where they're going with anything. Season 4, despite its faults, is better than season 2 and 3 for sure. Its nice to get some back story on Eleven and it's nice to see poo poo moving along. That said the whole Adult subplot of the 4th season is the loving worst and makes no sense.

Also, I wonder how they're going to structure the next season outside of the "Child/Teenager/Adult" subplot pattern since they'll all be adults basically.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would have preferred a show where The Upside-Down was allowed to be the main antagonist and went mostly unexplained. It could be the launching point for all kinds of serialized monster-sleuthing adventures for the cast while retaining common plot threads throughout (like Eleven and the other psychics, or even the clock murderer guy). Instead they decided to make the threat of the entire series one singular entity who happened to be a human who murdered people and murder is so evil that it created all of this hell-realm stuff. It's just a huge wet fart of an antagonist to build an entire series up around what appears to be literal Neo-Hell and a vast menagerie of weird monsters and then be like "oh yeah but no it's all just a psychic human from earth who's the bad guy this is all just his dream lol"

There's some cool stuff throughout though for sure. Season 3's monster sucked but the whole gimmick of how it converted people into meat-mass for itself was suitably creepy.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 29, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Though I think this is largely the fault of Netflix's formulaic development. Every Netflix original show that goes beyond one season has the same problem - after a season or two it starts catering to the extremely vocal part of the fanbase that's rabid about their attachments to the characters or their fanfiction about the characters falling in love, the production stops focusing on the story that was being told and starts focusing on character-relationship moments that will be reposted in the Tumblr and Twitterspheres, and the presentation of the show to the audience shifts toward 'discussable' moments for those folks because that creates "user engagement" online which is what makes a show popular in the short-term and Netflix doesn't know how to look beyond the short-term for anything, so they chase that bone endlessly until there's nothing left.

That's why weird tonal whiplash doesn't matter, because by that point they're only writing to the portion of the fanbase that focuses on character relationships above all else (because they will continue discussing the show online even when everyone else has forgotten it) so they experiment with different tones to find out what the fanbase likes and then zero in on the most popular one.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 29, 2023

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Through all of season 4 I was certain they were coding Will Byers with a coming out story, and he just ... never did.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Capital Letdown posted:

Through all of season 4 I was certain they were coding Will Byers with a coming out story, and he just ... never did.

Yeah that was kind of weird, maybe they were sitting on it for the next season? Did someone else come out as gay or trans or am I thinking of umbrella academy?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

Though I think this is largely the fault of Netflix's formulaic development. Every Netflix original show that goes beyond one season has the same problem - after a season or two it starts catering to the extremely vocal part of the fanbase

You know what show didn't do that, The OA, the second season loving owned and Netflix cancelled it anyway. Say what you will about it but that show was Original in every sense, lol

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Zero VGS posted:

You know what show didn't do that, The OA, the second season loving owned and Netflix cancelled it anyway. Say what you will about it but that show was Original in every sense, lol

THANK YOU. I felt weird for liking it so much but honestly it was fantastic and interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Outrail posted:

Yeah that was kind of weird, maybe they were sitting on it for the next season? Did someone else come out as gay or trans or am I thinking of umbrella academy?

The actor who plays will came out as gay a few months ago

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Smugworth posted:

I interviewed for a job out of college for an IBM group that sold software for archival data storage on big collections of tape drives that got moved around like records in a juke box to the tape readers

We're talking petabytes of crummy old data nobody wanted. Apparently financially it was cheaper than alternatives for some companies.

I worked that job

It sucked balls

And the technology just...improved. tape drives are still pretty good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why can't Popcorn Time exist anymore? :smith:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nice Van My Man posted:

My wife told me from the beginning that Stranger Things sucks and why am I watching these awful kids and then I started season 2 and realized that she was right and those kids suck rear end.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Just like Westworld Stranger Things had one season of material and then just made up monkey cheese to fill the orders.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

Just like Westworld Stranger Things had one season of material and then just made up monkey cheese to fill the orders.

Sad but true

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Thundercracker posted:

That's true, and when you think about it, it's almost inevitable. One season of a prestige TV show is like 10 hours worth of material. Imagine trying to stretch a single focused plot/setting/cast of characters to 40 hours worth of material.

You could tell the story of the entire state of Indiana in like 20 hours--let alone one small town.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
There are so many shows that would be tremendously elevated if they were limited to 1 season.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

I was under the impression they were either trying to build up to something in the following season or they just dropped it halfway through to avoid pissing off a bunch of bigots.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Prof. Crocodile posted:

That's true, and when you think about it, it's almost inevitable. One season of a prestige TV show is like 10 hours worth of material. Imagine trying to stretch a single focused plot/setting/cast of characters to 40 hours worth of material.

You could tell the story of the entire state of Indiana in like 20 hours--let alone one small town.

That's saying more about Indiana

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SilverSupernova posted:

I was under the impression they were either trying to build up to something in the following season or they just dropped it halfway through to avoid pissing off a bunch of bigots.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were planning on getting to it for the final season. As a gay who was the same age as him in that era, coming out was unspeakable, and he's in a more rural town than I was.

In one of the most gargantuan whupsies I think I've ever seen, Magic the Gathering did a cross-promotional card set of the Stranger Things characters, and previewed this:

The flag in the background spelled "Homecoming", and after WoTC published this preview card they noticed the problem and had the artwork changed so the letters shifted over before committing it to paper. They said the artist was German and she didn't know the slang US term. But man, of all the characters that could happen to, yikes.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Did the poors stop sharing yet

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

If you care at all about the writers strike you probably shouldn’t be stealing their content.

No, you should be unsubscribing during the strike not adding new subscription money for Netflix.

I mean I’m unemployed now because of the strike and I still haven’t unsubbed all my subscriptions or anything but now isn’t the time to get a conscience about account sharing

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
What if you exclusively steal stuff that was made during the last writers strike?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
reverse double unscabbing

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

kntfkr posted:

reverse double unscabbing

There's no unethical piracy under communism

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zero VGS posted:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zero VGS posted:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'll be honest. At this point Netflix originals are such garbage if I'm vaguely curious i just look up a movie recap of it or whatever. So many Netlfix movies are "Intereesting premise. Let me waste your time for two hours"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

sigher posted:

Why can't Popcorn Time exist anymore? :smith:

The name has changed, but it still exists. Only it’s even better now.