Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
"i wish i could buy cable a la carte. buying each channel for $1 a month would be pretty cool. I only watch like 10 channels, so $10 a month instead of $250 would be awesome"

*companies all offer channels for $5-20 a month*

"no not like that"

*cable companies going broke*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Philthy posted:

"i wish i could buy cable a la carte. buying each channel for $1 a month would be pretty cool. I only watch like 10 channels, so $10 a month instead of $250 would be awesome"

*companies all offer channels for $5-20 a month*

"no not like that"

*cable companies going broke*

People constantly bring this up, but the issue is that you aren't really buying the equivalent of channels. Pretty much all of these streaming services are trying to cater to everybody instead of focusing on a specific audience. Netflix has killed extremely popular shows because they didn't have enough international appeal.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Gen Z have never pirated anything and don't actually know how.

Last month, I taught one Gen Zr about usenet. There's still hope.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Me: well gently caress Netflix then, I don't watch that poo poo anyway
Also me: poo poo, I'm going to have to entertain my kids myself now

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
welp, time to see if putlocker is still a thing...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just run your own Netflix for your friends instead

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

teen witch posted:

glad that streaming saw the errors of cable and went “no wait let’s make that poo poo even worse”
Capitalism breeds innovation, as we all know.

Spaghett posted:

But the best part of all is the feeling of power that I get when I turn off the TV in every one of their houses, simultaneously. It makes me feel like the god of TV and I'm unleashing my pent up fury on the over-consuming peasants.
Not gonna lie that's pretty drat funny.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
oh hey, im on s3 e4 of The Office, imma go watch it now

oh, it's on peacock now for the next two weeks, then itll be on hulu for a month and 5 days and then itll be on

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

When this happens i'm just gonna switch it to the lowest paying tier for my mum because she only watches netflix on a Ipad and end up going back to pirating stuff and using plex for myself. kinda dumb from netflix not to just make it restricted to 3-4 devices.

i really dont use it enough to justify my own account

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Who can't afford their own Netflix account? It's one account what could it cost? $200 a month?

It's just a netflix michael

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

gently caress Netflix and every other streaming service. Even HBO, which I love, took down Westworld. Back to piracy it is than, fuckers.

Wow, they really did. I thought it was a joke. What next? Are they gonna take down The Wire? Rome?

Westworld had the most amazing season 1 of nearly anything. It isn't worth watching after that, but it truly was an amazing first season (it turned really bad afterward, just pretend it didn't happen) and that first season should be kept around for posterity.

Oh, and Netflix? They really are slowly disappearing up their own rear end. Their good content from elsewhere is long gone, and their exclusives have turned into complete garbo since they decided quantity > quality with as low budget as possible. I do recommend "La Casa de Papel" and "The Queen's Gambit" if you still have a subscription. Then let it expire.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 1, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, they really did. I thought it was a joke. What next? Are they gonna take down The Wire? Rome?

Westworld had the most amazing season 1 of nearly anything. It isn't worth watching after that, but it truly was an amazing first season (it turned really bad afterward, just pretend it didn't happen) and that first season should be kept around for posterity.

Are you gonna argue with the raw business acumen of the man who put Honey Boo-Boo on TV?

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, and now it's on tubi and Hulu lmao. Those genuises really just threw that one to the competition.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
A lot of people I know are switching from Netflix to my friend Nate's Plex server

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Westworld season 1 doesn't excuse the existence of its subsequent seasons.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kntfkr posted:

Westworld season 1 doesn't excuse the existence of its subsequent seasons.

Eh, who cares. I really liked that first season thought it ended on a pretty alright note and I was more or less sure that anything following it wouldn't turn out to be good, so I just didn't bother.

fake edit: After season 1 just put on the movie and skip to where Yul Brynner is going on a rampage.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Extra Large Marge posted:

A lot of people I know are switching from Netflix to my friend Nate's Plex server

That sounds like an enticing proposition. Please PM me the deets. Let's all watch Nate's picks.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Netflix buy and stream Limewire

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Limewire gave me PTSD

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Greetings fellow Plex Server aficionados:hmmyes:

I never quite forgave Netflix for loving over Bojack Horseman's last season coincidentally after all their animators unionized

Actually, gently caress Netflix entirely for all the ways they weaseled out of giving animators their pay raises with their stupid "order 24 episodes for a season 2 but release them as 12 episode seasons 2 and 3 so they can get out of giving animators their season 3 pay raise"

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How do you even torrent these days

why did I try to go legit and actually use streaming services

why am I a fool

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Because Lars Olson will break down your door if you listen to this song

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I've been paying for Netflix since about 2014 and share with a few people who all use the service more than I do. The instant any of us have trouble logging in I'm going to cancel and we'll all just pirate poo poo instead. Good job Netflix this'll really drive up your subscribers by making your service a PITA to use.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

why am I a fool

You get a VPN to keep cox off your anus with "accusations" that you're torrenting then install qbit or whatever torrent client and I'm too old to find new servers so I just go to piratebay still.. it has 98% of the stuff I look for.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nobody torrents any more unless if they're in a circlejerk invite only club.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Wendigee posted:

You get a VPN to keep cox off your anus with "accusations" that you're torrenting then install qbit or whatever torrent client and I'm too old to find new servers so I just go to piratebay still.. it has 98% of the stuff I look for.

Careful which torrent client, some of the old popular ones are absolute trash now. I like qbittorrent, I think that's non-trash(?)

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

Thanks OP which VPN is good for that? I am prolly gonna get that sorted out this week so I can continue my watch through of LAW AND ORDER SPORTS VEHICLE UTILITY

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
I like Nord VPN

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nordvpn for VPN client... Hunt around you can usually find a good introductory price with a coupon... Qbittorrent as someone mentioned above is the torrent client I use

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

bagmonkey posted:

why am I a fool

Usenet my dude

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zil posted:

Usenet my dude

Yep, takes a little while to get set up but it's way better in the long run, especially for automatically grabbing episodes and such.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm googling Usenet right now... It's been ages.. don't you need to pay for access to a list server?

I assume you would also want a VPN

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tristesse posted:

I've been paying for Netflix since about 2014 and share with a few people who all use the service more than I do. The instant any of us have trouble logging in I'm going to cancel and we'll all just pirate poo poo instead. Good job Netflix this'll really drive up your subscribers by making your service a PITA to use.

Literally the same use case for me. If they implement this, then the first moment poo poo stops working my subscription is done, and I bet we're not the only ones.

The image is whatever, the but the sentiment is still very true:

Netflix literally has to compete with free, and they're doing a poo poo job of it. Pirating poo poo has never been easier. I can literally start downloading anything Netflix offers in glorious 4K in two minutes, slap it on my media server and start watching it on my TV through Plex. The more dumb bullshit you throw in my way and the more you raise my subscription price, the more you restrict my account, the less inclined I am to pay you for the convenience of getting things now instead of 5-20 minutes from now.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 1, 2023

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

Usenet my dude

Use WHAT????????????

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thanks fam I will look into these things I appreciate you all more than I ever appreciated Netflix

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wendigee posted:

I'm googling Usenet right now... It's been ages.. don't you need to pay for access to a list server?

I assume you would also want a VPN

Usenet news servers are paid but there's always big sales going on. I'm paying $48/year for mine.

VPN access isn't as mandatory as torrents since you're not publicly announcing the :filez: on your machine.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Usenet news servers are paid but there's always big sales going on. I'm paying $48/year for mine.

VPN access isn't as mandatory as torrents since you're not publicly announcing the :filez: on your machine.

I think my VPN is about to expire so it might be time to look into Usenet.

Any suggestions on which server to use or are they mostly the same

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Nobody torrents any more unless if they're in a circlejerk invite only club.

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Careful which torrent client, some of the old popular ones are absolute trash now. I like qbittorrent, I think that's non-trash(?)

I torrent from a private tracker circle jerk club using qbittorrent and it works well. I used utorrent for years and then there was some sort of drama surrounding it (collecting data or something?), but I don't remember exactly.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I use Astraweb for main stuff, and blocknews as a backup.

If you're considering getting your feet wet I suggest visiting the Usenet thread in SHSC.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I use Astraweb for main stuff, and blocknews as a backup.

If you're considering getting your feet wet I suggest visiting the Usenet thread in SHSC.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898

:tipshat: