Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It's true. If I had a business that was really starting to struggle because more and more people keep going to my competitors, my big move would be to start lifting up my remaining customers and shaking them until more money fell out. When you have less of something than before, you really gotta squeeze it harder. Get all that juice out.

This was unironically Comcast’s message to shareholders in 2018. They posted their first no growth quarter ever in Q1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

MrQwerty posted:

I cancelled netflix when they first did the sharing thing because I wasn't watching it anyway, the only thing I wanna see is I Think You Should Leave S3

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Code Jockey posted:

ultimately this licensing poo poo is going to continue to churn and rights will change owners and services will die and start up

but my copy of Grandma's Boy will continue to entertain, offline and isolated on the platter it lives on

:yeah:

Between Youtube and my DVD collection, there's too much good stuff for me to bother with any of these services. Yeah, I'll occasionally miss out on a banger like I Think You Should Leave, but I can pass the savings onto streamers that I like in the form of dumb superchat messages.

olives black fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 26, 2023

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Code Jockey posted:

ultimately this licensing poo poo is going to continue to churn and rights will change owners and services will die and start up

but my copy of Grandma's Boy will continue to entertain, offline and isolated on the platter it lives on

Plus you got bonuses sometimes. How else are you going to experience the original broadcast episodes of S2 of Arrested Development, with the cool little 'Premier' logo in the corner?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Netflix was pretty cool before their catalog was 90% netflix originals. These days the unironic best catalog for actual good movie streaming is Youtube's "Free with Ads" videos which conveniently display no ads if you run an adblocker

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The only TV worth paying for are live events you want to see in real time, like sporting events or concerts because there are so many ways to get shows and movies for free to watch on demand. I honestly don't think that there's any way for providers to fight that gravity--although I'm sure that they'll try all sorts of consumer-unfriendly practices.

2ndacct52423
May 25, 2023
Netflix really wants to break the law

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jestery posted:

If anyone here had a business like Netflix it would have crashed and burner since it has literally never been profitable, nor can it be

the internet iself is a giant unprofitable money pit and eventually we're going to fall rear end first back into the 1980s but all the infrastructure for legacy media has been destroyed so it will be even worse

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If you care at all about the writers strike you probably shouldn’t be stealing their content.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

If you care at all about the writers strike you probably shouldn’t be stealing their content.

it's ok i'm not stealing the content of the writers who are striking today, i'm stealing the content of writers who would have been striking somewhere between 10 and 40 years ago

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh no pirating is killing the writers! Yeah, yeah sure thing.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

Lmao Netflix trying to scold people for sharing accounts; so two people who live apart from another sharing an account is less bandwidth-intense than 3 people who live in the same house, or are you just trying to price-gouge without having to raise prices?
Right? Hey Netflix, want to put up an onscreen notification that explains to my six-year-old why when she goes from Mommy's house to Daddy's house, her watched content, favorites, and recommendations aren't the same anymore?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Right? Hey Netflix, want to put up an onscreen notification that explains to my six-year-old why when she goes from Mommy's house to Daddy's house, her watched content, favorites, and recommendations aren't the same anymore?

I hasn’t even thought of that, I don’t envy either parent.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

well it looks like i dont really care lol

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Aren't they striking because they're already not getting paid from streaming services? So, stealing that content is actually an act of solidarity.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Remember Popcorn Time? That ruled when you could tell your parents "just download popcorn time" and they had a free netflix where everything was available and worked. The Comcast nastygrams were just toilet paper anyways.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

well it looks like i dont really care lol

Yeah, the last thing I care about while watching Stop or My Mom Will Shoot is the poor writer who put that slop together.

Thanks to Netflix and this thread I’ve got a nice Plex server going that has allowed me to cancel every streaming service.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
piracy also means my Beavis and Butthead rips have the original music intact

and I love that some of it is just dogshit VHS rips, because that's the best they could find for that ep, lol

my loving kingdom for a rip of classic SNL with the music included. my copy is from peacock I think and it's missing 99% of the music :smith:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Code Jockey posted:

and I love that some of it is just dogshit VHS rips, because that's the best they could find for that ep, lol

my loving kingdom for a rip of classic SNL with the music included. my copy is from peacock I think and it's missing 99% of the music :smith:

They changed the piano jingle from "Ride the Snake" skit, I noticed that when I saw it on YouTube

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

im a weirdo that still has a disc drive in my computer, so i actually realized I like borrowing stuff from the library, ripping it to my hard drive and just watching it when I feel like it. fun to just browse what they're receiving and putting stuff that sounds interesting in their websites wishlist

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, amusingly enough I've probably bought more DVDs since seriously committing to building out my plex than before

Those DVDs being WKRP in Cincinatti and Wrestling Society X because I couldn't find good sources for them lol

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Phantasium posted:

im a weirdo that still has a disc drive in my computer, so i actually realized I like borrowing stuff from the library, ripping it to my hard drive and just watching it when I feel like it. fun to just browse what they're receiving and putting stuff that sounds interesting in their websites wishlist

:hmmyes: I will never not have a BD-RE drive

Now that I have Linux I've turned my desktop into a LAN media server though I'm using Jellyfin instead of Plex to be a contrarian

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zero VGS posted:

They changed the piano jingle from "Ride the Snake" skit, I noticed that when I saw it on YouTube

That episode is one of the best that ever aired.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tape drives > blu-ray drives. Maybe one day I'll do it but the drives are so expensive even for the older tech.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 26, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I once looked up LTO drives on eBay and :negative:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Code Jockey posted:

I had been searching for these two skits, one was where RDJ is an inappropriate wedding DJ, and another where Jimmy Fallon hosts a web college show from the dorms, and Hugh Jackman played a nerd. The only way to view them was to obtain all of SNL as YouTube was not helpful But I do not have the time to watch 30 seasons of SNL lol.

That episode is one of the best that ever aired.
Jim Carrey as the life guard, and "Souvineer!" during the Night at the Roxbury sketch.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

I once looked up LTO drives on eBay and :negative:

Yeah but I can only do so much with 5 bay! I have an ebay tracker for a 3u supermicro but I don't think I want to deal with such a large/loud thing. I could buy more 18tbs but the 8tbs are still fine and I already did that for two of them. My desire to hoard is strong.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Tape drives > blu-ray drives. Maybe one day I'll do it but the drives are so expensive even for the older tech.

I interviewed for a job out of college for an IBM group that sold software for archival data storage on big collections of tape drives that got moved around like records in a juke box to the tape readers

We're talking petabytes of crummy old data nobody wanted. Apparently financially it was cheaper than alternatives for some companies.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm more sad that streaming services never have audio commentary. They're often trash, yeah, but Futurama and The Simpsons have audio commentary that is good enough to just listen to as a podcast. I'm pissed you can't get that on streaming services.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm more sad that streaming services never have audio commentary. They're often trash, yeah, but Futurama and The Simpsons have audio commentary that is good enough to just listen to as a podcast. I'm pissed you can't get that on streaming services.

The Simpsons commentary is like rewatching an episode for the first time, and yeah, I would kill for that on Disney+.

Is disc rot still a concern or have we as a cursed species conquered that? Perhaps physical media does have a place because wow this sucks!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah but I can only do so much with 5 bay! I have an ebay tracker for a 3u supermicro but I don't think I want to deal with such a large/loud thing. I could buy more 18tbs but the 8tbs are still fine and I already did that for two of them. My desire to hoard is strong.

Just buy a Fractal Design R5, you get 2 external 5.25" bays and 8 hard drive bays with a tasteful design. I put Noctua fans in mine and it's whisper quiet even with 3 HDDs and a fairly high-end CPU and GPU installed :getin:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

y'know, I have netflix but it's been probably 6 months since I watched something from it. If my SO didn't watch it, I'd cancel it. There is so much content on there but none of it is worth watching, at least by my eyes.

Has anyone here subscribed to magellan? or is it Curiosity Stream? Which is the one all the good sciency youtubers are going to?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

My cable bill is $300 and I don't even pay for Netflix. However I get charged $10 for a Netflix access fee. Also the TV set is logged into Netflix. So I'm wondering if now is the time to flick some nets?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Just buy a Fractal Design R5, you get 2 external 5.25" bays and 8 hard drive bays with a tasteful design. I put Noctua fans in mine and it's whisper quiet even with 3 HDDs and a fairly high-end CPU and GPU installed :getin:

I'm not sure 8 is enough. I like my Synology well enough, it works, and changing my setup means fiddling with different poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

I just bought a Fractal Define 7 XL, which can fit 16 hard drives, or 20 if you attach more to the fan mounts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAy9N1vX76o

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stranger Things was all downhill after season 1

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

teen witch posted:

Is disc rot still a concern or have we as a cursed species conquered that? Perhaps physical media does have a place because wow this sucks!

Cassettes can last a pretty long time when properly cared for. These 50+ year old ones were unwrapped prior to the video and they still sound really good!

https://youtu.be/G9GvgvQNp70

Smugworth posted:

Stranger Things was all downhill after season 1

Yeah, I quit after season 2.

olives black fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 27, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

Netflix :twitter:
@netflix - Follow

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE

2:15 PM - May 27, 2023

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 27, 2023

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

teen witch posted:

Disc rot can happen with DVD’s but if you take care of them and put them in areas that are temp controlled it won’t be an issue for a long, long time. If you live in an area where it goes from hot/humid to dry/cold or just very dry it can mess them up if you don’t have A/C or something to try counteract.

Blu-Ray though, is a lot more scratch resistant and harder to rot because of the coating it used. So while it used to be a major concern, it’s not really a thing.

I’ve still got DVD’s that I bought 20 years ago that play just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The machine knows what it is to be human. No going back now ya dingus.