Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nah Psychonauts was good.

Shenmue 3 hype was a weird one for me.
Like.. 3/4 of the people raving about it likely had never played the first 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I'd say that they were both good, but more importantly they were interesting, colourful and original which is why people remember them. I'd say they're both examples of games that whilst not amazing are highly regarded because they weren't just following the trends of the time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So you obviously played them at the time, on the Dreamcast

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Psychonauts 1 is a pretty ok occasionally really good game with a bad final level. The sequel fixed its rough edges, polished its strengths, and delivered.

Beyond Good and Evil was dire and I spent inflation adjusted 30.64 cents to be very upset by it. Its sequel promised to fix absolutely nothing that was bad about the game and then wanted to outsource creative development to fans and pay them nothing for the privilege.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts - probably 2 of the most over-rated games of the 2010's

you like DOTA and LOL

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
BG&E was 2003 and Psychonauts was 2005

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hwurmp posted:

you like DOTA and LOL

yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinitum posted:

So you obviously played them at the time, on the Dreamcast

I did, yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Overrated is the most 'tough poo poo' criticism, 'people like this more than I think they should' yeah I'll get right caring about that.

Not.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Psychonauts was #1 on every "Most underrated games" list I read back then

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i'll always see fallout 3 as an underrated gem

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im willing to say games which few people played but get called a hidden gem are often overrated due to being under reviewed and having a biased sample audience.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Toonstruck, now there is an under-rated game

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Toonstruck, now there is an under-rated game

Hell yeah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Overrated is the most 'tough poo poo' criticism, 'people like this more than I think they should' yeah I'll get right caring about that.

Not.

people criticizing the audience instead of the game is fail, in this gamer's opinion

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gamers are undeniably worse than games, on average

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
beyond good and evil was good

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
shenmue 3 was definitely done before the kickstarter even began. mr. big shot shenmue guy just wanted to grift some gully eyed gamers with deep pockets and shallow brains. and i salute him for it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

beyond good and evil was good

yeah, I agree, game kinda came out of nowhere for me and was memorable for it. I bought Splinter Cell PT, Prince of Persia SoT, and BG&E on the same day that winter lol. What a great gaming moment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shenmue 3 wasn't even 'done' when it came out lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

yeah, I agree, game kinda came out of nowhere for me and was memorable for it. I bought Splinter Cell PT, Prince of Persia SoT, and BG&E on the same day that winter lol. What a great gaming moment.

The ubi trinity? That's a yikes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

The ubi trinity? That's a yikes

They were so good back then. Assassin's Creed announcement marks the onset of their downfall.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sakurazuka posted:

Shenmue 3 wasn't even 'done' when it came out lol

i've never played any of them tbh but i've watched someone play them and they're some of the funniest games ever. yakuza gets 0 laughs from ten thousand lines of dialog, shenmue kills with a single terribly voiced NPC saying 'try asking the Chinese about Chinese' lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1630585654118850560?s=20

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They were so good back then. Assassin's Creed announcement marks the onset of their downfall.

AC1 is meh but I think having played hitman 2016 first ruined it for me. I kind of built it up in my head as hitman: jersualem edition. I could look past the mandatory escape sequences cause it's open world, but when I hit the one where the target just knows you're coming and locks you in a fight room I realised it wasn't what I'd hoped for. I hear the 2s are a bit more like that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://ioi.dk/project-fantasy

IO is making an online fantasy RPG

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't wait to get back to AC meaning Armored Core, like God intended.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God is a geek
AC is armor class

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ace Combat

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

God is a geek
AC is armor class

Hasbro is going to issue a cease and desist on your post.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

https://ioi.dk/project-fantasy

IO is making an online fantasy RPG

THAT....is the Pope

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

AC1 is meh but I think having played hitman 2016 first ruined it for me. I kind of built it up in my head as hitman: jersualem edition. I could look past the mandatory escape sequences cause it's open world, but when I hit the one where the target just knows you're coming and locks you in a fight room I realised it wasn't what I'd hoped for. I hear the 2s are a bit more like that

The 2s are night and day better than 1. They make 1 feel like they accidentally shipped their vertical slice prototype

Brotherhood is probably the best the old pre-RPG ACs ever got

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've made a lost of posts in my life mocking and decrying the assassins creed games but the sentence "AC1 is meh but I think having played hitman 2016 first ruined it for me." just hits like a lorry of bricks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

babylon's fall is finally offline, and all the "last X minutes of the server" vids i can see have, like, 10 people maximum milling around, even on console

what a strange flop of a game

alas, i was wrong, although there's thankfully enough Good poo poo this year to tide me over

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe name your game Babylon's Rise next time?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Have to admit I'm tempted to by a Kaiba for FFXVI, but also kind of as an investment as I'm probably gonna have to jump to next gen consoles eventually and gently caress Microsoft.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Gun_tie/status/850377319084507136?s=20

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Foul Fowl posted:

i've never played any of them tbh but i've watched someone play them and they're some of the funniest games ever. yakuza gets 0 laughs from ten thousand lines of dialog, shenmue kills with a single terribly voiced NPC saying 'try asking the Chinese about Chinese' lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckD0MFHMNuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

babylon's fall is finally offline, and all the "last X minutes of the server" vids i can see have, like, 10 people maximum milling around, even on console

what a strange flop of a game

I'm sad about Babylon's Fall doing so poorly. I thought the game was really good, and I even made a few friends through the official Discord server, who I played with every night on PS5. Square-Enix and Platinum really hosed this one up with a huge number of fatal mistakes; releasing the same time as Elden Ring, have a pay to win cash shop, battle pass, and requiring an online connection with a square-enix account in order to play were all huge mistakes that should have been fixed the moment the game came out.

The combat though was really good, fighting with four weapons at the exact same time was a really cool and unique concept. Babylon's Fall just needed more variety though; you repeated dungeons a lot after the main story, it needed more unique bosses, dungeon layouts, and items. All of those things though were coming with the 1st year anniversary update that was originally planned but then canceled. We were also getting a Final Fantasy, and Nier Automata crossover towers with new storylines. The last few hours of the game had a few dozen players at least in the social hub doing last minute quests.

And it was like that every night for the last few months.