Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Starting to think the College Board is full of cowards.

https://archive.is/1DsBc

If I were a teacher tasked with this course, I would have "This Non-Violent Stuff Will Get You Killed" and "We Will Shoot Back" added as optional but strongly recommended readings so I could really melt some CHUD parents' brains.

They don’t want to lose FL to the ACT and International Baccalaureate programs, but yes I agree with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

maffew buildings posted:

I spent all night picking this out for you, I hope it's perfect

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

:lol: on multiple accounts.

Zamujasa posted:

After Trump won the primary and then the general in 2016, assuming someone is unelectable because of their beliefs/policies/actions should have gone out the window.

Especially if Biden runs again.

You don't need to rile up the base so hard you overwhelm everyone; you just have to depress the opposition so they don't show up.

Part of the problem with Trump, was that he didn't have any sort of record as an elected official to point at. Didn't matter that anyone with a functional brain could see he would put things in place to actually reverse Roe v. Wade, you had people arguing he'd never do that, and that he'd mature once he was in office. lol at that.

DeSantis does not have that luxury. He has very real actions as a governor people can point at. I'm not saying it's a slam dunk but it's not a 1:1 comparison with Trump being called unelectable in 2016.

Also I don't think Trump will go away quietly if DeSantis is somehow the nominee. Bet on that.

EFB by Mustang. Should click post when I actually write a post instead of walking away for coffee for a couple of hours.

facialimpediment posted:

We're still in the phase where we don't even know what to really worry about.

Yep, we're still so early in this poo poo that it's still a guess at best for everyone right now.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-note that Florida kept schools open and support parents over teacher indoctrination. I think that worked in Virginia

It kind of worked in Virginia. Youngkin and the GOP pushed on this poo poo hard against McAuliffe, who had an actionable record as a former governor while Youngkin did not. It worked, BUT, it's backfiring because now Youngkin and the GOP are pushing GOP culture war poo poo in schools where a lot of voters would prefer that people just let their kids learn in peace. McAuliffe's fuckup was his "I don't think parents should have a say in the education of their children" line (not verbatim but that was the gist and I'm too lazy to look it up), and Youngkin yelling about masking and no in-person schooling, which the no-in person schooling attack seemed to land harder than anything else. The CRT poo poo was also a factor but not nearly as much as people think it was. Ditto for trans students and such.

DeSantis can't play the "Here's what I'd do" card and pretend that what he's done in Florida hasn't taken place. Youngkin only got away with it because again, he was running without having a record as an elected official people could point at and call bullshit on. DeSantis won't have that luxury.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 1, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t know that “younger voters are saying” is really an indicator of anything meaningful. People were yelling about how he was too old and nothing would change last time, too.

Nearly all of the "Biden can't win again" articles assume a straight-up election when there's bound to be a lot of weird fuckery before the general even starts. Could be rando richfucks on the democratic side. Could be a rando richfuck that runs as Indy. DeSantis could out-fascist Donnie in the primary and get the nomination. Donnie could get pissed about that and run as Indy to blow the party up. Or Donnie wins and DeSantis decides to sabotage that campaign.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trump's malignant narcissism will never allow DeSantis to have the nomination without going scorched earth on anything and everything around him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
College Board is money grubbing fucks and none of this should be a surprise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump's malignant narcissism will never allow DeSantis to have the nomination without going scorched earth on anything and everything around him.

Gonna end with us having to urge him on Randy Marsh style to split the vote.

God this is depressing

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

She did an amazing job with disaster management as SC Governor, we could do a lot worse.

Did she do anything specifically outstanding? SC is a disaster-prone state, there's a well-tested handbook for Governors to follow. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'd love to hear if she was doing great things behind the scenes. But I lived through the Columbia flood and it just seemed that she was competently following procedures.

All I remember of her governing was that she didn't screw up disaster management and that was about it. Better than Trump or DeSantis, but I don't trust her.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

competently following procedures is a pretty big loving ask in the 21st century GOP

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Desantis is wildly popular among people I meet irl up to the point that he's a big draw for moving to Florida. Even among people I consider moderates, honestly.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

slurm posted:

Desantis is wildly popular among people I meet irl up to the point that he's a big draw for moving to Florida. Even among people I consider moderates, honestly.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1620874876109352961?t=8W1lGjNbhFkruwYDl734kQ&s=19

Spencer Hall (and the military dude in the background) know that he's a gently caress. People that like the idea of DeSantis haven't actually heard/seen the real DeSantis.

Or they like that he's banning books while yammering about face diapers and jab juice.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
honestly one of the most dangerous things about desantis's potential candidacy is that his age will be a big bonus over the dem side who cannot seem to find anyone under 70, god forbid if biden runs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Haley is going to be drown out by the noise of the Donald and Desantis going full kayfabe.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kazinsal posted:

God drat if that's not the best way to start the new thread. Excellent av/title upgrade too.

Just saw the new av and agreed 100%.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Zamujasa posted:

honestly one of the most dangerous things about desantis's potential candidacy is that his age will be a big bonus over the dem side who cannot seem to find anyone under 70, god forbid if biden runs

I will be thinking long and hard about who to vote for in the primary. Do I use my primary vote to try to get someone other than Biden on the D ticket or do I use it to (hopefully) poison/influence the R ticket?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

shame on an IGA posted:

competently following procedures is a pretty big loving ask in the 21st century GOP

Didn’t Secretary of Energy Rick Perry realize how important the dept was including nuclear weapons, and had enough sense to step back and defer to folk who knew what they were doing?

facialimpediment posted:

Nearly all of the "Biden can't win again" articles assume a straight-up election when there's bound to be a lot of weird fuckery before the general even starts. Could be rando richfucks on the democratic side. Could be a rando richfuck that runs as Indy. DeSantis could out-fascist Donnie in the primary and get the nomination. Donnie could get pissed about that and run as Indy to blow the party up. Or Donnie wins and DeSantis decides to sabotage that campaign.

Regarding the Democrat side, if Biden runs again it seems unlikely there will be a seriously contested primary. The democrat establishment wouldn’t support a usurper especially if they had little chance, and I don’t know why a Howard Schultz or Bloomberg would challenge as Biden is establishment enough he’s no threat to their interests, like Bernie would have been.

One thing to watch for is Murdoch’s empire, Fox News & Wall Street Journal, seem much cooler on trump than they did in 2016, such as not giving much coverage to his re-election announcement. If he surges ahead would expect them to fall in line but if it’s close, their portrayal of him as a has been or irrelevant compared to DeSantis might be decisive.

Lol Tom Brady is older than DeSantis that’s odd.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
are there even any serious d candidates who aren't trash and/or poison running

because (esp based on lower races) they seem to just not really care about putting up an actual dem any more

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Didn’t Secretary of Energy Rick Perry realize how important the dept was including nuclear weapons, and had enough sense to step back and defer to folk who knew what they were doing?

He also got some glasses to look smart

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

He also got some glasses to look smart

lololol I forgot about smart guy glasses.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

because (esp based on lower races) they seem to just not really care about putting up an actual dem any more

I'm not aware of any Democrats looking to primary Biden. The California Governor Gavin Newsom is making a lot of "look at me" gestures in the event Biden doesn't declare or can't make it through the primary.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zamujasa posted:

I get the vibe CA governor Newsom is interested but hasn’t declared to avoid looking disloyal to Biden. Not ideal but seems aware of what the GOP has become and is running a major state. Some dumb stuff in his personal life but nothing disqualifying, not well liked by leftists but would be probably at least as tolerable as Biden, plus is 55. From the existing realistic options wouldn’t be worst choice. Pair him with Fetterman as VP & that could be a strong ticket.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah I don't see anyone trying to primary the old man. But for 2024, Newsom and Pritzker will absolutely jump in. Wildcard Maura Healey.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Newsom will absolutely get the poo poo kicked out of him. Republicans will just turn up the “LOOK AT SAN FRANCISO AND ITS HOMELESS PROBLEM/HIGH GAS TAXES/HIGH TAXES/HIGH COST OF LIVING” dial to 11 and have all of their attack ads writing themselves. The Democratic base may like him, but the rest of the country probably won’t.

Plus the dude used to be married to Kimberly Guilfoyle and if that isn’t a huge red flag for terrible judgment I dunno what is.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

don't forget to take a moment out of your day to just vibe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, speaking of March 2020, here's the shot heard 'round the leopards-eating-faces party world!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1620451219641876482

http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...ates-normalized

1 out of every 250 Floridians. Victory!

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

The final Boeing 747 manufactured was delivered today and had a special flight path: https://www.flightradar24.com/GTI747/2f0b1162

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1620874876109352961?t=8W1lGjNbhFkruwYDl734kQ&s=19

Spencer Hall (and the military dude in the background) know that he's a gently caress. People that like the idea of DeSantis haven't actually heard/seen the real DeSantis.

Or they like that he's banning books while yammering about face diapers and jab juice.

dude looks like tim heidecker is doing a politics skit

My feelings for 2024 is that if dems want to win they have to treat it like an uphill battle every step of the way and there's zero room for complacency. Rs need to actually run on something other than the same poo poo that has failed them in 2018, 2020, and 2022. If the entire plan is to wage war on women and minorities then they're going to torpedo another election cycle.

I'm really curious to see how Desantis does nationally because the dude looks like a loving clown and I've never heard someone talk about him in person in the PNW, though I wouldn't really read into that. Honestly having a bit of a blank slate nationally could well be an upside for him because it gives him more space to define himself. In any event, what he lacks in charisma the right wing media machine will make up for in volume so the only play for dems is to take him as a serious threat if he ends up the republican candidate.

As was mentioned above, it's wild that there's a 40 year age gap between Biden and Desantis.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 1, 2023

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
This is by far the funniest DeSantis photo.

DeSantis looking rejected as Biden chats it up with a Florida Woman and a Florida Man wearing a Florida CRACKER t shirt.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I can't believe that guy is only 44. He looks so much older/less healthy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

College Board is money grubbing fucks and none of this should be a surprise.

Tell your university to divest from the SAT and other College Board services. :unsmigghh:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

The Eyes Have It posted:

Its the newscaster hair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I get the vibe CA governor Newsom is interested but hasn’t declared to avoid looking disloyal to Biden. Not ideal but seems aware of what the GOP has become and is running a major state. Some dumb stuff in his personal life but nothing disqualifying, not well liked by leftists but would be probably at least as tolerable as Biden, plus is 55. From the existing realistic options wouldn’t be worst choice. Pair him with Fetterman as VP & that could be a strong ticket.

Newsom is the Blue DeSantis.

You probably like his policy better, but they’re fundamentally the same kind of liability on a national stage that DeSantis’ are, and he’s only slightly more charismatic.

The Eyes Have It posted:

He was America’s youngest governor till three weeks ago, when Sarah Huckabee Sanders took that crown.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 2, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Following the flooding in Auckland, our mayor has made a colossal rear end of himself, pissing off pretty much the entire city with his blame throwing and lack of visibility.

Then this drops today:

https://twitter.com/StrayDogNZ/status/1620905310079827969?s=20&t=P5qhND2Q9Tx3LX33vL7xaQ

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm wondering if it was accidental. I started a GDT in SAS once and got an autoban because I'd somehow moved the tag from "Hockey" to whichever autoban is/was next to it (keyboard?) and didn't catch it until it was too late.

e- For those keeping score at home, "BANME" is directly above "NHL".

Had a nice sensible chuckle at the OP. I followed the link in the old thread so I didn't see the tag and just assumed it was a typical rando-Radium issue.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I generally feel like Biden being the nominee is borderline a guarantee of a Republican president provided their nominee isn't Trump. And even then I think it would be at best 50/50.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ardiem posted:

The final Boeing 747 manufactured was delivered today and had a special flight path: https://www.flightradar24.com/GTI747/2f0b1162

Slightly disappointed it wasn't a dick.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If I see another "make America Florida" hat I'm gonna puke

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-subway-employee-fatally-shot-gunman-opens-fire/story?id=96822402

Shooting on the DC subway. One DC metro employee dead.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Godholio posted:

Had a nice sensible chuckle at the OP. I followed the link in the old thread so I didn't see the tag and just assumed it was a typical rando-Radium issue.

The little mouse wiggle of frustration elevates this to quite possibly my favorite gif ever.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So I've heard of faking your own death before. But I've never heard of "killing someone that looks like me to take my place to fake my own death" before!

https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1620935661485170688?t=MjFLgV8fRl9zT3YBjPdfYQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The perfect crime!