Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/RepJimmyGomez/status/1620878732738330629

cringe af imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

One like one prayer one medal

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

E. Wrong paste

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Refer 1 friend and get a red dot, 3 friends get an M203, 5 friends a M9, 8 friends a SAW and 10 friends an AT4. 15 you get one of those high cut FAST helmets

Oh word? Any of y’all want to re-enlist?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s fair, I was watching during the original run and got invested in the characters and story arcs and felt they paid off well, but would understand trying to watch 25 years later and dealing with some of the clunkier eps. I still think the two part ep with changelings on earth and how the Federation must contend with trading democratic freedoms for security theater, and how that is shown to be a way for a free society to destroy itself as a completely disproportionate response is a masterful take on 9/11, and it aired in 1996.

I had a similar experience with Babylon 5, had been hearing for years it was comparable to DS9 so gave it a try but couldn’t get invested and bailed mid way through season 1. I liked some parts but not enough to keep watching.

Yeah Babylon 5 is rough. I've tried multiple times to get into it but so much of it is so dated that it's hard to get into.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Antifa yet again destroying our cities

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Hey speaking of which, what's the best way to see the occasional research paper if I'm not in school or a doctor? I always see briefs or summaries but I'd like to read the research for funnies. Without paying money

Google “sci hub”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Oh gently caress asked and answered immediately. Thanks!

No prob! I use this all the time because there’s always a random journal that my university can’t access etc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah don’t they not get any money from the journals?

I paid about $3500 for my last paper to be published. It came out of our government grant funds… I also peer review for the journals but that’s unpaid labor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Verhoeven should be remembered as one of the great names in film history and I will be sad if people forget him in thirty years

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Gonna wipe New Zealand off the…

Oh.

Lmao goddamn

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I kinda feel like Turkey makes decisions on coin flips.

At least they're not arresting seismologists and geologists, like Italy did a decade and change ago.

I was about to bring up the Italy thing too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Coked out nukes running guns, drugs and crypto off the Yucatán is amazing and a sadly plausible future.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

loving :thurman:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I lost a lot of poo poo in Katrina. Done brother

That Works fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 17, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Godholio posted:

According to people I work with, he's a RINO

lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

These events don’t seem too current and I’m having a hard time thinking of a president in living memory that was as overall a better person than Carter as low as a bar as that may be.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

gently caress him for that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Someone remind me how many Republican senators Georgia has?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McNally posted:

What if we told her that Russia is full of truancy?

I just rewatched Threads don’t do this to me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Why in the name of all that is holy would you rewatch it

Buddy and I did a double feature of The Day After and it. I have no idea why sometimes you get a morbid feeling I guess.

Pretty solid cinematography for The Day After as well. Much of the film holds up extremely well for its age and budget. John Lithgow is pretty stellar imo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Midjack posted:

gently caress it, make it a triple feature with On The Beach if that's what you're into.

Probably because the book hit me pretty hard but I’ve never been able to re-watched that one

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For less grim quality 80s Lithgow, Terms of Endearment is excellent.

One of my favorite nuclear themed 80s films is Special Bulletin, the framing device is tv news coverage of an incident in South Carolina. Excellent plot, acting, and tension, plus a five second Michael Madden cameo. Whole thing is on YouTube.

Trying to think of a bad Lithgow role really. Even in goofy parts in crappy movies he stands out. Dude has a real presence.

Kinda like F Murray Abraham but bigger range

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/rad_milk/status/1250234307030867969?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/ConnieSchultz/status/1629613147303624710?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

He went far above and beyond that, unfortunately. :nms: because it's some Extremely Bleak poo poo regarding his late son.

Basically: he made a very stupid tweet about how if your son gets hooked on drugs, it's "better to kill him than watch him become a mass shooter". He then seemingly admitted to watching his son OD and die rather than render aid? I'd post a link but I don't want it to embed, because it's genuinely upsetting.

Scott Adams stopped being a "ha ha funny right wing crank" a long time ago. He's in a much, much darker place now.

Yeah I wanna say maybe just after 2016 was the first time I was aware that he was a shitlord.

E: lol https://twitter.com/lukeymcgarry/status/1629604841986334720?s=20

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 26, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I couldn’t read the WSJ article but was this the same report from DoE / Lawrence Livermore from 2021?

If so it was basically “lab leak is possible but so is natural spread of new virus”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Somethings you don't get away with saying "it's likely", you got to prove them

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sounds still a case of “extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence”

https://twitter.com/benryanwriter/status/1629856455485472777?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

slurm posted:

If they prove a lab leak what is an appropriate response? Everyone in the world gets extremely sick several times a year now, they basically murdered the goodness of the world forever.

Nothing, unless you also can prove it's intentional.

The last person to die of smallpox on the planet was due to an accidental lab leak. The person who was ultimately responsible for the leak later committed suicide. This was in the UK in the late 70s or so, or at least that's the story my ID professor told us back in the day.

Defenestrategy posted:

Question:

What does the department of nukes, coal, gas, and smart guy glasses have anything to do with virology, pandemics, and non-nuke related espionage?

A bit more than most might suspect. A large amount of microbiology outside of the hospital is funded by DoE stuff, they run very prominent research in the "National Labs" (Oak Ridge, PNNL etc) and would have some particular skills to study this kind of thing. It's not the only agency that does this for sure, and thus why there is mixed messaging but it's not too crazy for DoE to actually be part of the study.

e: An actually plausible probable scenario that fits all criteria of evidence that we are currently capable of getting would be this:

1. New virus pops up near Wuhan, gets isolated and sent to their virology lab in the same town. Maybe the cases don't take off much at all and the researchers breathe a sigh of relief.

2. A few days / weeks later a cluster of cases pops up in Wuhan either due to delayed symptoms, delayed reporting, who knows.

3. A couple of researchers at the institute in Wuhan email/text communicate (in a way that humint or sigint can access later) "Hey these new cases aren't from us right?" and someone responds "no not likely".

4. Virus spreads from there.

5. FBI and maybe someone at DoE is privy to some intel where someone in the lab was asking around about the outbreak and it lends some credibility to the possibility of a lab leak but does nothing to substantiate it."

That all fits what we have / know today. To PROVE it was lab leak you would have to have genome sequences of the virus initially taken into the lab and show conclusively that the sequence of all the infections after deposition into the lab were matches to that lab strain (and subsequent mutation from it) vs a separate "wild" virus that would have a different genome sequence and was not represented in the later cases. It would have to be pretty rock solid evidence and without that you can't prove lab leak (unless you have credible testimony of someone in the Wuhan institute that studied the virus).

That Works fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 26, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

US Berder Patrol posted:

Hell, probably, she's pretty woo woo. Not to defend an antivax position at all, but you had to see the anti-vax backlash coming no matter what the pols were saying, MW or President Trump himself included. This wave of anti-vax sentiment had been cooking for years before corona hit the streets. If a nominally progressive Oprahverse character like MW was spouting that nonsense, that just goes to show how far out of the niches of right or left wing extremes antivax narratives had gotten by that point. All that is a digression, though. My point is I'll take a woo woo Bernie Lite over whatever jerk the dem establishment will push forward next.

More or less agree with all of this except one point:

Antivaxx sentiments were highest with upper-middle / upper class white college non-science educated families pre-2016. Basically richer white folks that could afford to send their kid to private schools and these strongly trended democratic voting. All the early measles outbreaks and the 1st whooping cough outbreaks were starting around shitlib strongholds outside of LA and in Austin and all of that timed up pretty well with Wakefield losing his medical license and moving to Austin in the early 2000's while getting early "influencers" on board like Jenny McCarthy etc.

lovely rich non-scientist people who were uselessly famous and at the time democrats included Trump who was vocally an antivaxxer since at least 2010. Once elected he did little initially to move the needle but as the cult of personality around him developed and the whole "deep state" narrative extended to any government agency the groundwork was set to heavily politicize antivaxx trends in a way they had not been before. After 2019 antivaxx beliefs were decidedly partisan right leaning and trended far more into lower education status than had been seen before.

I don't know how much people appreciate the entire disintegration of public health in the USA and how swiftly it's been happening. I am quite confident that the next time a 2016 type result happens with full R control across the branches we'll see the dismantling of the CDC and NIH etc completely. Just look to Florida for a peek into the future in that regard.

source - I teach a college class on a lot of this stuff, can provide deets if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. Not saying that they aren't guilty as all hell, just that poo poo's collectively hosed and I am captain pessimist at this point