Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

Personally, I think DeSantis is doomed on the national stage.

Not to mention, Trump isn't just going to go away unless he dies.

DeSantis has a proven record of enacting laws and policies targeting minorities, LGBTQ people, and anyone else the GOP views as their enemy.

Hard to justify being the "Free State of Florida" when he constantly uses the state government to harm businesses or institutions that dare criticize him.

Plus, he has a weird, nasally, whiny voice, like some nerd that needs to be stuffed in a locker.

I think the only reason it works for him in Florida is because FL is a uniquely awful place full of awful boomer transplants.

No matter what, the GOP primary is going to be nuts. I can't wait for the weapons grade insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Zamujasa posted:

honestly one of the most dangerous things about desantis's potential candidacy is that his age will be a big bonus over the dem side who cannot seem to find anyone under 70, god forbid if biden runs

I will be thinking long and hard about who to vote for in the primary. Do I use my primary vote to try to get someone other than Biden on the D ticket or do I use it to (hopefully) poison/influence the R ticket?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Holy crap.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Pacific Ocean is choking with garbage, much of it coming from cheap Chinese products, dumped with reckless abandon.

Not content to destroy just one ocean, Xi Jinping has turned his sights on the Atlantic Ocean. And now he's getting help from an unexpected ally: Joe "Microplastics Lover" Biden himself, sending a $334 million dollar plane to fire a $500,000 missile at a cheap balloon. That's your tax dollars at work, doing a job that any kid with a slingshot could have done for free. But the Democrats have banned slingshots, and next, they'll ban kids too.

Tell Joe Biden to stop wasting American tax dollars to help the Chinese pollute our pristine ocean with its spy balloons. Text TRUMP to *42069.

One of my wife's friends just declared that the previous balloons under Trump are just what the Biden media machine wants us to think

Edit to add: how do you even counter these people if that is their version of reality?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CainFortea posted:

I bounced off DS9 season 2 a number of times. I loving hate everything about the maquis. So stupid. So when I was IK in SciFiWiFi I ran a competition to show me the very best of DS9. Didn't care about spoilers or order or anything. Each poster got a few sentences to set the stage for the episode if they wanted to.

Doing it that way was the only way I could get interested in the show enough to watch past season 2. Which I eventually did (Except the stupid baseball episode because baseball is stupid).

This about sums up my experience with DS9 as well.

For whatever reason the show never "clicked" for me. I can see why others enjoy it. I just don't.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kazinsal posted:

Right. I don’t remember much of really late TNG, mostly because it seemed like they were running on fumes at that point.

Warp drives causing Space Global Warming and the solution being to institute a galaxy wide 55 mph speed limit sticks out in my mind.

I think it was something to the effect of, "if you travel too fast, you might accidentally time travel. So we now have a speed limit!"

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

McNally posted:

It was "warp drive is tearing apart the fabric of space-time in a specific region, please observe a speed limit until we can figure poo poo out"

And then they never mentioned it again aside from an occasional "we've gotten the OK to break the speed limit for this mission" reference when a writer remembered it was a thing, but by then it was TNG season 7 so who cares.

There's some fluff in promotional materials about Voyager's moving pylons as being a part of some solution but it's never really mentioned again.

Ah, it's been forever since I've watched pretty much anything Trek. Apparently even my memories of the show are fading away.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think you should let him start a thread about war crime theory, so he can lay out his beliefs and arguments, and background on how he came to to these conclusions.

Even if he doesn't enter in good faith, the rest of the forum might enjoy the discussion.

I can't remember the last time we had a Mod Challenge here....

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

These tweet limits seem rather high. Wouldn't this only really cause issues with brand/customer service and bot accounts?

To be clear, I understand the poo poo show that must be going on to require such limits. Just curious about why THAT.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Who had stealing puppies on their GOP crimes bingo card? Bonus points if you can guess the offender before clicking!

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/09/george-santos-was-charged-with-theft-in-dog-case.html

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kesper North posted:

The Estonian foreign intelligence service just pulished their annual security report. Some interesting reading.

https://raport.valisluureamet.ee/2023/en/

Lol, Russia is trying to make the Legion of Doom.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I got Beans when my neighbors at my last apartment complex were trapping stray/feral cats. Little dude was a wild late stage kitten. Worked out great, easily the smartest cat I've ever had.

Frank came from a rescue 200 miles away at the time and no one was coming to check my house. It was fine.

Beans just spent 10 minutes this morning teasing Frank with a tennis ball. I think, with enough time and tennis balls, I can teach Beans to throw tennis balls using his claws for Frank to catch.

We recently discovered that one of our COVID shelter cats will play fetch. But only with those plastic rings from bottles.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

From what a lot of news articles are saying, you can simply get way more data than with a satellite. A typical satellite moves at around 7000 MPH, while the balloons might hit 60 MPH. Shove high tech sensors and comms equipment on a balloon and it's likely to get way better quality data and a lot more of it.

And - Pence has at least one more classified document in his house. That scandal sure fizzled quick.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1624130851456880666

Edit: k maybe not a balloon https://twitter.com/JarrettRenshaw/status/1624132370017226754

First, old people need to stop printing poo poo out. Everyone needs to stop printing poo poo out.

Second, instead of a balloon, what was it, a drone? I'm trying to imagine something the size of a car that would enter our airspace unwelcomed. I can only think of glider/drone/balloon type items, unless it is.... aliens.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Sounds like you'll be on board with the Luca for Immortal Dog-Emperor platform

Isn't Luca the official mascot of this place?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Cats live for murder

This is true.

It is also why I am not afraid of us shooting down an UFO. Aliens are NOT ready for the poo poo cats do.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wonder Free posted:

They’re good dogs. One took down 8 coyotes protecting its flock recently. https://people.com/pets/great-pyrenees-named-casper-attacks-coyote-pack-to-protect-sheep/

I read an article that says they think he hunted down the remaining 3 while he was missing for a couple of days.

I desperately want that to be true. It's like Rambo in dog form.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

lightpole posted:

I think natural gas was banned in CA at least, dryers, furnace/boiler, stove. I just got my stuff in before the change but electric is so efficient now anyways I kinda want to go that route. Just finished my in floor radiant and will just use a flash water heater for heat but I wish I had known you could do cooling with it as well and then my house would be perfect.

Eventually I suspect my gas range will become expensive or it will simply get old. Either way, I intend to replace it with an induction range. Hopefully I also have solar and batteries in place by then.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Steezo posted:

Goddamn superbowl ads this year have me wishing for a Taliban callback.

That dog food commercial was pretty good. The wife was crying half way through.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

A town of 8000 is cut off to the point where we have no idea if it's even there :stare:

Man, that is nuts. You guys get storms on a seasonal basis or do they tend to miss you guys?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Do we have any train nerds? I saw another headline saying there was a train derailment in Tennessee also last night/yesterday. I went to look it up and found this:

https://www.newsweek.com/more-dozen-trains-have-derailed-us-this-year-1780952

We have had more than a dozen derailments so far this year. Apparently, this is a common occurrence with an average of 1,704 derailments a year. My question is this:

Is the severity of the accidents we are seeing due to labor issues, regulatory issues, poor/aging infrastructure, or an all of the above issue? Are we seeing more "spectacular" events because the rail workers normally prevent and/or mitigate these spills? Is it a case of, no workers to see us doing the wrong thing so we are going to do it?

It just seems that there are suddenly a bunch of leaking chemical tankers falling off of tracks, what else would cause this?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There were derailments in SC and TX yesterday also.

I saw those as well. It was part of what prompted me to start looking at things.

stealie72 posted:

Actual train nerds will have real answers, but from doing light reading on it over the last couple decades (used to work for a place that tracked chemical spills), the real high level answer is :capitalism: Maintenance costs money, giving workers rest and PTO costs money, safety costs money--and all cost more than whatever fines they'll get slapped with for destroying a town.

And if the "blue collar," "pro-union," Democratic president who famously rode the hell out of Amtrak is willing to strike break for the railroad owners, none of it is going to get any better.

I get that they are probably stretching their maintenance further. I also get the labor cost issue.

I'm trying to figure out the "why now?" It doesn't seem like there was a noticeable change after the strike was blocked, then suddenly, we have trains leaking poo poo and killing people all over the place. I had expected a slower, more incremental degradation of the system.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

stealie72 posted:

Don't have time to find the data right now, and maybe someone else has it, but I wonder about "suddenly, we have trains leaking poo poo and killing people all over the place." We may very well have hit an increase, but I'd think it's equally probable that it's just the media is suddenly paying attention. There's a lot of train track in BFE.

Edit: This lazy google news search without "palestine" leaves a trail of ugh over the past few years.

Good point. I hadn't considered that it just wasn't on my feed.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

His current head of hair is all plugs. For a while there he was a solid stage 4 (almost 5) on the male pattern baldness scale.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I'm not sure what #BlackGirlMagic is (no, I will not go on twitter), but even without that knowledge I don't understand this tweet.

Edit: I am confused about how black history month pertains to Afghanistan of all places.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Blackhawk crash in Alabama

https://abcnews.go.com/US/survivors-after-black-hawk-helicopter-crashes-alabama-highway/story?id=97237264

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Putin has tossed out the START treaty in a speech this morning. I'm sure there is someone that believes this means Russia nuking Ukraine, but I doubt that will happen. What is the end game here other than an attempt at North Korea style "diplomacy"?

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-politics-de0af48be7ea480ccb0175f55a065363

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

So all of this AI poo poo is basically just rebranded chatbots, but you very much shouldn't rely on voice passwords anymore, apparently!

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628798416754032643?t=bDU1QwXLdaCsFi4i3XJXmg&s=19

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1628802287698329601?t=7iz-L_gFaQLs-dxMjG9FEQ&s=19

Ha!

The other day the wife asked if it would be better to use a voice ID. I told her to just keep using the multi factor we are currently using. Glad I made the right choice.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

We have any Tennessee goons in the house?

I just came across this article: https://newrepublic.com/post/170759/tennessee-becomes-first-state-pass-ban-drag-shows

When I try to dig in further I only get sources like Entertainment Weekly and the like. When they link to an AP article, the article is missing. I would have imagined that this news would be bigger, or is the bill so poorly written everyone thinks it will just fall apart?

What am I missing? How is this being received in Tennessee?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

For the full review of what's going on about that bill, though from a non-Tennessee perspective, Chris Geidner is my guy:

https://www.lawdork.com/p/tennessee-minors-trans-care-drag-bans

The tl;dr is:

Thanks for that. It is about what I found as well, but wanted a sanity check. I'm confused about the apparent lack of coverage on this, it seems like it is mostly being talked about in entertainment news. Maybe it's getting drowned out by other news right now.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Did she make it to the debates last time? The name is familiar, but in a "I kinda remember a joke vaguely and her name was the punchline" familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"China hits out as US bans TikTok on federal devices"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-64795548
yeah..... that's not suspicious

That is just them confirming that it is a spy app, right?