Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maffew buildings posted:

I spent all night picking this out for you, I hope it's perfect

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Following the flooding in Auckland, our mayor has made a colossal rear end of himself, pissing off pretty much the entire city with his blame throwing and lack of visibility.

Then this drops today:

https://twitter.com/StrayDogNZ/status/1620905310079827969?s=20&t=P5qhND2Q9Tx3LX33vL7xaQ

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Don't forget Blade, which is objectively the best Marvel film

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Whoever mentioned DS9 thanks, it's hooked me in a way TNG never really did

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VSOKUL girl posted:

DS9 is an excellent TV story with some filler here and there. TNG is a collection of superb filler, with occasional story to try and tie it together. TNG is an amazing relic of a bygone era of TV where you really can pick up almost any random episode and it stands on its own as an excellent bit of character acting in a setting, whereas DS9 you can only sometimes watch out of order

There are certain episodes of TNG that stand out, particularly the one where they wind up in a losing war with the Klingons through time fuckery, but it just never really got me. Almost from episode 1 DS9 had me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Red letter media absolutely savaged Picard, if that means anything

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

It is entirely possible that this goes down as the only air to air kill for the F-22.

Oof

Also lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No idea if it's real

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

with specific attention to the ethics of waging total war on the Bugs,

This part is real easy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

I'm going to need to see citations at this point.

Edit: APA format

*points to the smoldering crater of Buenos Aires*

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

soldaat van oranje is an insanely good film

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TheWeedNumber posted:

Seymour Hersh is saying we popped that loving pipeline. I’m still reading but if it’s Seymour Hersh I’m definitely interested in the story.

Not shocking to me if true though. Question is, how the gently caress he find out? Let’s read together and see if 1+1=2.

https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/how-america-took-out-the-nord-stream

This is.... bordering on speculative fiction. I like the parts where Biden just announces hes gonna do it in a presser.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

In Antipodean news, I will gladly die in Dicklone 2023

https://twitter.com/BOM_Qld/status/1623166273638236160?s=20&t=yRsuVk1jClOchQyg6pfQ8w

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i'm starting to wonder if malcolm x was onto something

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What does the church of sasquatch preach?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

My wife refuses to adopt from or work with most dog rescues for the reasons people already listed here. A lot of it is insane levels of requirements and bullshit they expect potential adopters to go through, as well as being poorly run or financed, as well as in some cases hoarding animals in their shelters. Oh and a lot of the time, they are very big on getting those sweet sweet monetary donations, but are quick to ignore the advice and guidelines given to them by staff vets, and use those donations to pad salaries for non-medical staff.

What the living gently caress? I volunteer for a rescue because I believe in what they're doing and I've seen firsthand how dedicated they are.

God it makes me sad to hear something good get twisted beyond all recognition like that.

I hate people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pyr X?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was mad at the people pulling that poo poo, not you for implying it

I stand by my original point though will refine it to "I like dogs more than people"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh no, you're good. I figured that's what you meant, but I still felt compelled to point it out cause a few people posted afterwards that they worked with rescues that didn't do any weird poo poo.

But yeah, fully onboard with the dogs > people party.

Sounds like you'll be on board with the Luca for Immortal Dog-Emperor platform

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cats live for murder

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Welp.

Gentlemen, it has been an honour and a privilege posting with you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Gonna wipe New Zealand off the…

Oh.

Well at least the storm won't kill me now

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I believe this spy balloon gap is too high. We must reactivate the Navy's lighter than air program so that future soldiers will not be caught with inferior dirigible/bloon technology.

https://youtu.be/Kq-N3_plNq8

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Highly likely the Chinese had some balloons and random drone-like loitering surveillance in the air for a long time. Our systems are probably set up to find fast-moving poo poo (jetliners, missiles) instead, then the Chinese lost control of their balloon. NORAD people were probably like "uh... why the gently caress didn't we see that", tuned their filters, and started finding slow, car-sized poo poo that was probably around for a while. And it's not exactly in China's interest to suddenly pull back their previously-undetected poo poo.

Plus Joe's making a very clear statement

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Over half of the far north's power is out, and all weather stations are warning the worst is yet to come

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/NiwaWeather/status/1624827988335558657?s=20&t=Vgx9962n7O06ME6bwrVLaQ

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's at the lower end of destruction so far - trees downed, a lot of disruption to services, roads blocked, but not widespread devastation. That said, they are warning today will be worse.

Edit: I just saw this, which is a :stare: kind of fact

quote:

This was the region's fifth extreme weather event this year and the emergency response team had been fully activated for all but two days of 2023.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 12, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't live with Luca anymore, but he is up on a hillside, and I'm on a rise. Unlikely to have any major issues unless a giant wind blast levels the house or something.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So, uh, apparently Australia has nuclear submarines on the way.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/australian-commanders-complete-control-over-nuclear-submarines/101965182

And this is explicitly because of China. I would not be at all surprised to see power plants next.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

psydude posted:

Correct. This is from the AUKUS agreement, which made the French mad because nobody wants their lovely diesel subs.

I somehow never clicked that the subs in question were nuclear, I guess.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyclone-gabrielle-photos-north-island-battered-by-wild-weather/WPJ3UDZWUNGI7NTSHHU24STHKQ/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A town of 8000 is cut off to the point where we have no idea if it's even there :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Going back to this pic for a second. Idiot decides he is going to drive through high water (see: mud on the upstream steps), guns it, and then the road isn't there and he plows into the embankment on the other side doing at least 25 mph and doesn't die?

He was doing roughly 70, so.... 40mph? It was dark apparently and the first anyone knew of the road being gone is when he found out. He was miraculously unhurt.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/weat...-its-population

The town of Wairoa, mentioned earlier, is in a really bad way. The flooding and storm has cut all roads, the huge flooding has wrecked the water supply, there is no food in the stores, no power, no cell towers left, flooding has displaced as many as 1 in 8 residents, and the only sat phone in town is now dead since they can't charge it.

Oh, and the winds are so high they can't even do an overflight.

Edit oh sorry I'm underselling things - the article says actually half the population have been flooded.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

it's just so pathetic

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Imagine being the richest man in the world

Elon has to

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mappo posted:

Senator John Fetterman has checked into Walter Reed Hospital for Clinical Depression.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/16/1157570381/john-fetterman-treatment-clinical-depression-health-pennsylvania-senator

Good on him for getting help.

This is what a tough guy really looks like

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rare footage of a helicopter NOT killing someone

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyclone-gabrielle-elderly-man-rescued-from-rooftop-in-hawkes-bay/YNZG2HJEJRCWFGXUYCLWK7U3MM/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Seriously - poo poo is real bad.

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/cyclone-gabrielle-community-support

Donate if you can.