Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

NPR just had a piece positing that Biden running for re-election is not going to be a victory; younger voters are outright saying they won't vote if we are just repeating the last election. There is real concern among some in the Dems that they are losing the younger vote specifically because there has been no real progress, and America isn't in a much different spot that 2020 in the grand scope.

I don’t know that “younger voters are saying” is really an indicator of anything meaningful. People were yelling about how he was too old and nothing would change last time, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I dunno how you solve the DNA issue when trying to fake your own death. I'd ask the people who succeeded at it, but I think they've died.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People send hobby balloons up there. I’d believe somebody could whip something together if they were motivated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The pilot is probably already on his way to a medal ceremony.

They’re off to train Ukrainians in air-to-air combat

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mostly you just start making fun of them to their face

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what on earth that’s confused even for him

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got a sensitive area it can loiter over

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dammit who showed the AI the Michael Richards standup routine

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doesn’t YouTube still host a ton of alt right talking heads?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Everything about this man’s history is like those stories where a school shooter told authorities exactly what he was going to do 20 times before he actually did it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's one theory put forth by fans post 9/11.
In the film, the given reasons were that they launched it because human ("Mormon Extremists") violated a neutral zone.

I don't recall any implication one way or the other- they explain the Bugs basically just 'shoved' the asteroid to attack Earth. To me, this implies they are more advanced than the Fed wants to portray.

Yeah the movie doesn't really imply that the humans did it, but it's a fair conclusion to draw from the info you're given. Even as a kid I thought it didn't make sense for the bugs to be able to do something like that from another star system without the aid of an FTL engine, and they're never shown as having one.

I forget how the book handled it if it even had a similar situation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

It wasn't FTL. It was knocked out of orbit, and physics did the rest.

Then the thing that did the knocking had to be FTL, or else they launched it years or decades in advance.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had the SotU up but realized King of the Hill was on. Sorry, Joe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

get his rear end Donnie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

im dying, they just can't help themselves

https://twitter.com/VerminSupreme/status/1623195752796241921?s=20

https://twitter.com/starchildsf/status/1623201830003150849?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I once spent 8 hours in line in Colorado for a "chance" to view rescue dogs for adoption after filling out an extremely onerous and invasive application. Never got to see one; after that we just looked on Craigslist and got a puppy from a surprise litter that happened after two neighboring ranch dogs had a tryst. We made another attempt at getting a rescue dog a few years later and gave up after weeks of back-and-forth, agreements to let inspectors tour our home, interviews, etc. Pet culture in the US develops a lot of extremely strange attitudes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We got our cats from a shelter and it couldn’t have been a more different experience. The last one we got, the staff member literally said they’d throw another one in for free. If you’re willing to adopt adult cats they’ll just toss’em at ya.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not getting rid of our gas range but I would like to add proper ventilation over it. Need to go exploring in the soffit over the microwave to see if I can get some ducting in there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t click twitter threads but that post was good enough to give me the most important detail wrt the status of this nazi

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It would be impossible for me to be a bigger loser even if I tried even harder than I already do

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just need a little hashtag magic to be independent and strong in your fascist theocracy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lets tune in to Nazi Twitter to get some hot takes:

You repeated yourself there

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy cow

Kyiv in 3 days

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

At the same time, Russia is well aware that attempting a frag on a head of state that is not direct party to the conflict would open the war wider than Kirk Johnson's rear end. Them doing anything intentionally would be off the Clancy meter.

Definitely, but I don't think Russia has a great reputation for maintaining discipline and control of its armed forces so there was still the risk that somebody more local than Putin might decide to take a shot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I asked in the Ukraine thread as well, but I'm assuming if they bag POTUS Russia gets turned into glass?

I honestly wouldn't expect so. Certainly overwhelming force to destroy Russia's military and leadership, but not an unrestrained attack on its population.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I reread Swan Song lately and unfortunately I have to disrecommend it as being insanely lame compared to how I remembered it as a teen

The mystery illness results in revealing your inner face thing being thrown in there to no real purpose is so bad

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leave posted:

The Robert McCammon novel?

That's the one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Putin has tossed out the START treaty in a speech this morning. I'm sure there is someone that believes this means Russia nuking Ukraine, but I doubt that will happen. What is the end game here other than an attempt at North Korea style "diplomacy"?

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-politics-de0af48be7ea480ccb0175f55a065363

Russia never renewed the regular inspections after they were mutually suspended in 2020 over COVID, and since they're still saying they'll abide by the caps and information sharing agreements nothing is practically changing. I don't think there is any "game" here besides just talking poo poo for the domestic audience.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 21, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use MFA when I can and back up my important stuff in multiple spots to avoid harm from non-targeted attacks. It just seems pointless to introduce more aggravation in my life when the actual weak link is Karen in HR getting spear phished and sending out a spreadsheet with the whole company’s SSNs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RIP DoD Self Service kitten picture

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I took classes with Liberty kids, the only thing they’re attacking is their bedsheets with piss

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Insane that China might be the biggest foreign policy challenge of Biden's term.

It was always going to be, the surprising part is the Russian detour along the way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

We also have chuds surprised that Rage Against the Machine "turned political". Over in one of the buttcoin threads we were recently mocking some indicted web3 media company founders who named their startup Ozzy because they were inspired by reading Ozzymandias.

That Warhammer 40k meme but instead it’s “wow, cool works”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I found out today that this dude got caught sockpuppeting praise for himself in Reddit AMAs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Congrats on ditching twitter. I feel bad for the people who complain that it's making them mentally ill but insist on using it anyway. Elon taking over should have made the decision to give it up a lot easier. I submitted my deletion request when it happened and IDGAF if that means my username is up for grabs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I wanted to ditch Facebook completely but it's still a lifeline to some folks so I settled for removing all the content I had submitted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scott Adams is a better fit for a Fox News talking head position than most of the people I see getting nominated for it (like Rittenhouse). He will not shut the gently caress up, is constantly aggrieved despite being fabulously wealthy, and boomers have full and complete trust in his takes on issues because he is the Dilbert guy.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 27, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Why the blue gently caress would you have TikTok on a work device anyway?

No idea. I didn’t even know it was possible to install random apps on a corporate-managed phone. I just use mine for work stuff.

I also found out recently that IT goons love connecting gaming devices to their company’s internal network so lmao what even is the point of security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I certainly don’t want to have a different hardware token for each account. I already have three.