Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m trying really hard to come up with a reason to probate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

China has rejected the legitimacy of the UNCLOS or something with their territorial disputes in the SCS.

The limit is like 200 miles from the continental shelf or some poo poo I think I never pay attention to that poo poo. Its more than 12 miles.

Territorial waters is 12 miles, that’s generally not in dispute. The exclusive economic zone extends 200 miles, or to the limit of the continental shelf, whichever is greatest - but that’s not territorial waters, it just means the coastal state gets exclusive use of the resources. Oil and fish and wind farms.

Where it gets complicated is where you have islands (hence the issue with China and the South China Sea), because each island gets its own bubble around it, and the waters within an archipelago belongs to that state.

But also if there’s a passage between two oceans then that’s an international strait and…

In summation international law is made up and more of a set of guidelines, but the 12 miles territorial water limit is a pretty solid and internationally recognized thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That’s a whole different set of rules that has little, if anything, to do with UNCLOS. (It’s MARPOL VI, with a touch of “gently caress you, we’re the US / China / the EU, we do what we want”)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

VSOKUL girl posted:

CSB reenactment vid when

dunno if they'll actually do one given that they usually cover failures of process controls, not so much "oh gently caress a train derailed" events. they did have one recently related to an accident triggered by torrential flooding though

This is going to be an NTSB investigation, so no Unreal video, sadly.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bengy81 posted:

I hadn't ever thought about the possibility of 5000 kids getting deployed on the USS TRUMP.

Given the sexual assault problems the navy has, naming a carrier after Donnie is a little too on the nose...

Pilots unable to trap due to the glare from the gold plated decks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The bible has all sort of woke stuff in it so yeah, they’d burn it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My sister quit believing in a Christian god after her church group leader earnestly explained that no, pets don’t go to Heaven because they can’t profess their faith in Jesus Christ.

Actually pets can’t go to hell because they can’t sin, and they don’t need to be baptized because they’re not affected by the original sin. Check SMDFB 69:420

And ye who disagrees shall face the wrath of my buttons.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Monty’s got seniority over Luca IMO.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Gonna wipe New Zealand off the…

Oh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you put a propeller on it it’s not a balloon anymore it’s a dirigible.

But you’d need a heckuva prop to move something around in the jet stream, I think.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I agree it is generating useful intelligence, but is also a very hostile act that is getting a lot of the US population and political establishment fearful and irritated which could lead to meaningful damage to China, far beyond the value of air defense data could be worth. I’d understand if the flights weren’t being detected, and I’m sure we are doing something similar, but Gary Powers being busted made the US lose a lot more face than the Soviets did.

Yeah, Canadian airspace is part of NORAD as Canadian NORAD Region (CANR). Makes sense as any serious intrusion especially during the Cold War would likely be aimed at the US and it would be strongly in Canada’s interest to help, especially as they’d get the benefit of the world’s largest military budget for their national defense. Like why they don’t need a nuclear program and can have a relatively small Navy despite having the world’s longest coastline.

Well the US literally said they’d shoot down the Russian bombers over our southern airspace if we didn’t join, and that’s where everyone live.

As for the size of the navy, that’s more of a budget thing. Nobody has a navy the size of the US’s, coastline or not, because nobody spends that much on defence.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

Von Nukem: I'm here to suck rear end and kill myself, and I'm all out of rear end.

We don’t usually tolerate suicide jokes in GIP, but OTOH the only good Nazi is one who kills Nazi so…

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This isn’t the thread to speculate about what racist Twitter is saying about current events, if it’s part of current events go ahead and post it but please don’t role play neo Nazis.

Thank you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Y’all know better than this. Current events please. Thank you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It reminds me of the Soviet developing a whole biological weapon program on the assumption that the Americans obviously had one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

He’s the only president who gives me the feeling that he actually tried his best to make the world a better place.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Good thing the Russians brought their parade uniforms.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Opsec Wizard hasn’t posted in a while, last I heard he was playing War Thunder and…

Oh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There’s an army rail operations MOS, I hope they got to be involved

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

When’s the last time Russia was in compliance with that treaty?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Should've known we'd be Spy Planing the Spy Balloon, but holy poo poo this is one hell of a picture:

https://twitter.com/ValerioCNN/status/1628496075828113408?t=MOYh720fnHU1XeXctI9tqg&s=19

Finally, confirmation the balloon used Apple hardware.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

with the amount of hot air he has in him, theres no way bonor would ever be lower than any balloon

He’s being magnetically attracted to the balloon because the balloon uses Apple hardware.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

And this is why I use MFA and facial recog anywhere I can. Oh and my phone never leaves my line of sight, you’ll need to have me at gunpoint to get access to it.

Facial recog isn’t great because the cops can just hold the phone to your face and unlock it.

Alternatively, someone could kill you and hold your phone to your face, but at that point you’ve got other issues than your Twitter account getting jacked.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Current events, not current forum drama. Thank you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Dude it’s not even 10am on a Saturday and you’ve already handed out a BS probe.

What have you become.

Do you recognize yourself?

There’s a lot of forum drama rn and an influx of new GIP posters so moderation is a bit tighter than usual right now.

Also all sixers are BS probes, DWI.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Whomp whomp whoooooomp.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shen Yun gonna act a fourth act about the 5,000 years of history of Christian virology in China.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

American politics: it is what it is

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Notably image-conscious apartheid state Israel will surely not allow this to happen again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah that’s a wildly optimistic view of the current situation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah that’s the issues, most places you’d want to live in already have people living there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That’s 19 2/3 inches, or 1 3/4 foot-acres per acre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s march.