Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I've heard the best evidence that ghosts cannot harm the living is the large amounts of unharmed white people.

White devils cannot be harmed by mere ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Flikken posted:

I thought we didn't have a diplomatic relationship with the taliban. Is there an Afghan government in exile?

A chargé d'affaires is what you have when there is a dispute or disagreement between two countries that precludes setting up an ambassador level position.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Thanks for that. It is about what I found as well, but wanted a sanity check. I'm confused about the apparent lack of coverage on this, it seems like it is mostly being talked about in entertainment news. Maybe it's getting drowned out by other news right now.

This is the difference between stupid loudmouth fascism and competent quiet fascism.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 24, 2023

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ded posted:

would this also outlaw public displays of movies like mrs doubtfire?

In a pre-2016 world, no.

Even today, most likely no.
The statute seeks to regulate performances, not depictions of performances.

In the statute, male and female impersonators are included with "topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, ... or similar entertainers" for regulation purposes. If Mrs. Doubtfire was included, it would also include public (or where kids could view it) displays of any movie with strippers, gogo dancers, etc.

If you want to dig, here's the proposed law:
https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/113/Bill/HB0009.pdf

and the statutes it would amend:
https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2019/title-7/local-government-functions/chapter-51/part-14/section-7-51-1401/
https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-7/chapter-51/part-14/7-51-1407

e: Interestingly, male/female impersonators get a save that topless dancers, strippers etc. don't get - an impersonator's performance must also be "entertainment that appeals to a prurient
interest" to be illegal. (But that's going to be a jury question to be decided in whatever corner of TN it comes up in.

The law doesn't ban drag shows any more that it bans strip clubs. What it does is shut down drag queen story hours at the library unless you're going to have the ACLU and a bondsman standing by ready to go.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 24, 2023

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I know I'm late to Israel chat, but it's kinda wild to me that they sort of have a pretty well-documented history of God slamming their dicks in a a drawer if they start acting silly, yet here we are again.

Then again, their history of being very much in God's favor by genociding the gently caress out of everyone around them is equally well documented.
Almost as if the takeaway of a religion that is explicitly a 4000 year long history lesson is discernment rather than a continuing exercise in buffet-style justification.

e: it's more like a 500 year long conversation about 4000 years of history where none of the authors can agree on what it all means

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 28, 2023