Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Many people are saying this

Thanks for the laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Godholio posted:

Had a nice sensible chuckle at the OP. I followed the link in the old thread so I didn't see the tag and just assumed it was a typical rando-Radium issue.

The little mouse wiggle of frustration elevates this to quite possibly my favorite gif ever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, see, the government controls your healthcare too MUCH. In a free market,

They're only death panels when the government does it.

When private insurance does it, it's just "smart business" or "controlling risk"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Does that pilot get to paint a balloon on their jet now?

RIP to that pilot, a balloon his only air to air kill, forever more known as Balloon Boy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo that boat got tossed around like a toy

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

This is going to be an NTSB investigation, so no Unreal video, sadly.

Aw man

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

His later False Flag attack against the Romulans really cemented his status as Captain Flexible Morals.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh for gently caress sake

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

At this point Germany and Austria are going to be the only ones moving off Nuclear, most of Eastern Europe is spinning up initiatives to go more into Nuclear and Renewables, and France is doubling down on more new reactors.

I'm here wondering how large of a local electricity co-op I have to put together to get in on one of these new mini modular nuclear reactors.

I'll be like that community that sprung up around a diked off nuke plant in...poo poo, was it Footfall? Some Niven/Pournell work, I think.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/julianbarnes/status/1624127446676082701

Looks like nobody involved on the defense side is loving around with the balloon poo poo any more.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1624129901434380289

We have a block of Sidewinders nearing their use-by date don't we.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

F-22 went from zero kills to three I'm a very short time.

It's all a pilot mafia conspiracy isn't it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

How feasible is it for an adversary to loft an explosive payload in a balloon and deliver it on target? Say, covertly launched from a nuclear sub in a plausibly deniable position well outside the attacker's typical areas of operation?

I mean, more feasible than in was with Japan's mainland-launched incendiary balloons in WWII, sure. But a balloon will have a fairly obvious signature on radar (if filters aren't tuned to ignore it, apparently) so they may not get much mischief in other than flight hours on expensive airframes and spendy missiles expended.

Your scenario in particular sounds like a "send the attack subs here!" beacon.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 12, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm here thinking it's kinda neat knowing that a big ole balloon is reflective enough for a Sidewinder's heat seeker to key off of, anyway.

Not surprising, but probably outside of its designed target envelope, too. ("That big ole blob is the sun! I'm supposed to target something more pinpoint")

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hell yeah

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Notable decrease in crypto ads this year, though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Actual train nerds will have real answers, but from doing light reading on it over the last couple decades (used to work for a place that tracked chemical spills), the real high level answer is :capitalism: Maintenance costs money, giving workers rest and PTO costs money, safety costs money--and all cost more than whatever fines they'll get slapped with for destroying a town.

And if the "blue collar," "pro-union," Democratic president who famously rode the hell out of Amtrak is willing to strike break for the railroad owners, none of it is going to get any better.

Or depending which flavor of tinfoil hatter you are, it can be little green russian men, or active sabotage by pissed off workers.

Its the :capitalism: thing

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wait in addition to the shooting there, like, yesterday? Two days ago?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jesus Christ

America :negative:

E:phew

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 14, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it's just so pathetic

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JakeWilkns/status/1625584051493998593/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1625584051493998593&currentTweetUser=JakeWilkns

Flashin’ back to DiFi owning a bunch of preteens who are scared about the existential threat to their future.

Oh so that's how student uprisings start

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

an utterly deranged country pearl clutching over the danger of balloons that no one rightfully gave a poo poo about until three weeks ago

Handy distraction from, say, trains derailing and spreading nasty poo poo all over the place.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Godholio posted:

According to people I work with, he's a RINO

Nice to see purity testing eat up groups other than leftist movements for once.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:hmmyes:

Yeah that's more like it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"The school hopes to open next week"

That seems...optimistic.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

At least link her video so she gets the views from it. It's way better then Zevon's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUQ2FdwIyY

Oh that's good poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A whole bunch of "I have no recollection of that event"?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hahahah eat poo poo, good move.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks for reminding me I really need to prune my Keepass database.

I have, for example, "<online bank>", "<online bank> temporary", and "<online bank> use me" in there. Its a fuckin mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Why the blue gently caress would you have TikTok on a work device anyway?

Seriously. My work phone is so locked down I can't even save attachments from my work email to the phone, I'm pretty sure an IT QRF would black bag me if I even brought up TikTok in the app store.