Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was thinking of the classic Michigan-Ohio rivalry influence, where each side just likes to watch the other suffer.

I got your reference. We haven’t lived in Ohio in 22 years and my wife still refuses to acknowledge that Michigan might be something more than just a cesspool of human suffering that should be avoided at all costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We got a rabbit from a rescue in Riverside California 10 years or so ago. I setup an appointment and spent a few hours where my son had time to socialize with the rabbit and the staff could see that we were a good fit as pet owners. They tried to pull the same home inspection, right to pull them back, and other hoops before we could leave with anything. I told the lady that I'd spent months researching rabbit care, made our own rabbit hutch in my garage, and fenced off a huge area in our living room for the rabbit to run around in. We were going home with a rabbit but it was up to her whether it was a rescue from her organization or it was one from the PetSmart or PETCO up the road. She settled for us sending photos a couple days later of the rabbit settling into her new home.

From what I understand, there is a big pet resell market where people would go pick up pets from shelters and relist them on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace with rehoming fees to make a quick buck. It seems like places go overboard with weird requirements to try to mitigate against people doing poo poo like that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

bulletsponge13 posted:

I follow a few guys who are instructors in the Sniping community, specifically Army.
The guy who was head instructor at Benning (moved on) had been saying for years that basic skills and fieldcraft have been degrading at a steady pace because of GWOT. He was specific that because of the focus on urban/semi-urban sniping, guys can't stalk. They are loving up basic poo poo, failing to adequately camo equipment, over reliance on cool guy looks and gear, not enough on the basics of the craft, like Intel gathering, and "half of what makes us Scout Snipers". He came up under Pre-GWOT doctrine.

Not in the field, I can't say. I can say that I am witnessing an incredibly similar scenario in the Infantry. There are so very few guys left with the institutional first hand experience, that lessons will have to be learned the hard way. "Why does the book say do it X? Y is what makes more sense."
::humps 5k::
"OH. That's why the book says to do X."
I have a friend in the Infantry (NG) still, and he's heard guys bitch about "finding places for 3 more mags" because they all use micro rigs, because their SL used micro rigs, because he started when he was always in arms reach of a truck in 2009.

What you are describing is the same cycle of knowledge loss that every unit deals with. Even when the Forever Wars were active it was a constant cycle of boot drop, work ups, deployment = seasoned infantry. Only you get maybe 2 deployments out of a Marine/Soldier before they leave the service. First deployment they are inexperienced. Second deployment they are the salty vet that passes along that core knowledge. Except when the wars ended the group of folks that passed that knowledge on got out or retired. Hell every single person who was involved in OIF 1 is now old enough to be retired.

The US Mil is pretty decent at capturing lessons learned and drawing from those when conflicts ramp back up. It'll take a bunch of fresh blood being spilled for a new generation to learn the same lessons we did.