Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

lightpole posted:

I still don't understand how the Czech Republic is used as a flashpoint with Russian tanks on the border ready to roll.

Less likely to get hit by a iskander while shooting than Ukraine(which i guess is what it was originally written for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I feel like it's part of the validation behind the acceptability of racism against Italians in recent years. Or at least a close second behind the influence it's had on New Joisey. It's almost like they want all the old Polish jokes to become about themselves.

It has made more waves outside of Italy than Italy itself, people stopped taking/caring about it in country three months afterwards.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Rightfully so, though. What geologist or seismologist would even bother considering moving to Italy after that? It's like jailing firemen for fire existing.

Not even the firemen, the dispatch officer that takes the call.

The people involved in that lawsuit were the ones that signed(here is a hint from a Italian public servant, never sign any document in any official capacity unless you have insurance to cover whatever damages will incur if you gently caress up) the certifications for the protezione civile(think a shittier FEMA) risk assessment. At the time the protezione civile boss (Bertolaso) was pretty much considered a saint so anything that would have made them look bad was to be destroyed. Seismologist and the like has always been the first people to be thrown under the bus but rarely in official form like Aquila, even in disasters like Vajont the geologists didn't catch as much flak as in 2012.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

McNally posted:

It wasn't a lawsuit, they were criminally charged and convicted of manslaughter.

Yeah, we use the equivalent word for lawsuit for both civil and penal charges proceedings in Italian, sorry if I miswrote.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 12, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fragrag posted:

ffs Turkey got hit by second series of major earthquakes in the same general region

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/20/turkey-new-6-point-4-magnitude-earthquake-hatay

Big earthquakes usually go on for a while, it's not safe yet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

behold my works, ye mighty, as I bite the head off of this bat.

They did ride the crazy train after all.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ASAPI posted:

Did she make it to the debates last time? The name is familiar, but in a "I kinda remember a joke vaguely and her name was the punchline" familiar.

She was the one going all in with Bernie on socials during last dem primaries, doing orb/jo crystal power memes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cugel the Clever posted:

How far out are we from banks adopting proper MFA?

If by MFA you mean codes over an auth app, it's mandatory already in EU under the PSD2 directive. If you mean FIDO2 over a physical or virtual key, we might as well hope for peace in the middle east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hypnophant posted:

the average bank customer will throw a poo poo fit if you tried to make them keep track of a physical token and there’s less than zero incentive for the banks to push it

Until PSD2 every bank here either had a RSA fob to make the codes on the fly or a plastic card with a matrix of codes to interpret so it wouldn't be a new thing.