Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Desantis is wildly popular among people I meet irl up to the point that he's a big draw for moving to Florida. Even among people I consider moderates, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If I see another "make America Florida" hat I'm gonna puke

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

fknlo posted:

As someone whose work day is currently revolving around the balloon and reports about the balloon, there wasn't going to be much pretending we couldn't see it. It's very, very obvious.

I wonder if some random guy will try to snag it

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tiny Timbs posted:

People send hobby balloons up there. I’d believe somebody could whip something together if they were motivated.

Hobby rockets too

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Grip it and rip it posted:

Sisko was a war criminal dude - they made it pretty obvious

I still don't really understand what makes something a "war crime" unless it's pointless cruelty that also hinders the war effort. You're already AT WAR and losing is worse than anything that can happen on the battlefield. Are our perceptions distorted by decades of police action colonial war?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

So pointless cruelty that assists your war effort would be OK to you?

Is this a bit? Are you doing a bit?

I've just been watching a lot of Ukraine war footage lately and everyone's getting turned into wholesale hamburger! It feels like the meter is pegged on suffering!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Anyway I'll shut the gently caress up

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

So many people drop it because of that it's absolutely hilarious. You'd think they'd just be like "yeah sure, no prob" but at least there's some sort of consistency for once

US pet culture sometimes feels like a competing cult

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Cugel the Clever posted:

How feasible is it for an adversary to loft an explosive payload in a balloon and deliver it on target? Say, covertly launched from a nuclear sub in a plausibly deniable position well outside the attacker's typical areas of operation?

If the last few years have taught anyone anything it's that the US is weakest to easily-preventable diseases. We should be on the lookout for a measles balloon.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

The angst in anticipation of racism is extremely weird.

Look we're going to do racist roleplay of racist Modi guys and the mods are gonna love it!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Kith posted:

God, I hate it here.

Something's so wrong with this place

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

bird food bathtub posted:

Sure the "no way to prevent this" gimmick sucks but it's a really, really clean mirror of reality. It shows exactly how much a society that can shrug off entire classes of kindergarteners decorating classroom walls with their brains also sucks. It all sucks and it's not going to get fixed, so what else is there really to do but scream in to that void?

Gun tech and gun laws haven't really changed in generations but eventually we just become so hosed up as to think, wow let's just slaughter each other because we're mad at Facebook. A country just straight up racing backwards as a society, and we weren't even that good to start with. We can no longer be trusted with guns and I remember when that was something we relentlessly mocked other countries for.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

I hope we don’t race backward too far; the past was an even worse place to exist in America, aside from wildlife flaura/fauna biodiversity.

I don’t think most shooters give a poo poo about facebook either. I guess some shooters are pretty old, but still.

It's all the same adtech poo poo pushing radicalization for clicks. Facebook for the old ones, telegram for the youths, God knows where the millennials got radicalized, probably chans.

edit: my point isn't that the past was necessarily better, just farther from exploding into an orgy of violence that none will survive and/or balkanizing into Big Syria.

slurm fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 17, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

CainFortea posted:

Gun laws have been changing a lot in the last few decades.

It's just not a lot of lawmakers making changes at the federal level. It's a lot of state changes and ATF administrative changes.

There hasn't been a time since the invention of repeating firearms where you couldn't just go out and buy a big repeating firearm of some kind and go do a massacre. The rest of this stuff (NFA, AWB, CCW laws etc.) is just window dressing except, and I think this is kind of a separate thing that comes with the cultural shift and which I can talk about all day, brandishing has basically been enshrined as a god-given right which probably emboldens the poo poo out of political street fighters and mass shooters because there's nothing they can even be hassled for until the instant they pull the trigger, and usually they can bully someone into giving them a "good shoot" Kyle-style. loving insane that you can just wave a gun around all day now.

edit: and while I'm ranting I think the loving plates make these guys feel immortal no matter how false or dumb that is.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

Depending on your race and creed and local laws, yes there absolutely has been, unless you mean via black market connections or forgot about nonwhite dudes.

Overwhelmingly a radicalized right-wing white pastime imo, this is pretty irrelevant.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If Eagle Claw had gone insanely badly (all hostages and military personnel killed or captured and a declaration of war by Iran) would Carter have been able to ride a post-9/11 level popularity wave into the country not changing horses in midstream?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

Nah, I did a version with a head. I took 1/6 scale figures and gave them period accurate equipment and weapons. I actually had an entire mercenary team set up like that. I was 22 at the time. Lol

In my head Canon, he was left for dead, but found by a Simba Witch Doctor.

More like headless canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If they prove a lab leak what is an appropriate response? Everyone in the world gets extremely sick several times a year now, they basically murdered the goodness of the world forever.