Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm wondering if it was accidental. I started a GDT in SAS once and got an autoban because I'd somehow moved the tag from "Hockey" to whichever autoban is/was next to it (keyboard?) and didn't catch it until it was too late.

e- For those keeping score at home, "BANME" is directly above "NHL".

Had a nice sensible chuckle at the OP. I followed the link in the old thread so I didn't see the tag and just assumed it was a typical rando-Radium issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Arrath posted:

The little mouse wiggle of frustration elevates this to quite possibly my favorite gif ever.

You and me both. It's the difference between someone with a good sense of humor and a genius.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

It could literally just be a weather balloon gone missing.

Except someone is actually steering it.

Is this actually real? I've been assuming it's fake, but I haven't actually seen a statement that "No you idiots obviously we're not doing that" like I expected.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Cross posting but chances of that are increasing

Taking bets on whether you get more fireworks from Knoxville/Gatlinburg or Fayetteville/Bragg.

I'm only a couple hours off the path...I kinda want to go see the balloon.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 4, 2023

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Guns aren't great against balloons anyway. The 9X is the cheap option nowadays.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm reading AI Seinfeld as Al Seinfeld and I think you all should, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Lol oh hey you warcrimed too hard defending your country. We just gonna let you hang out to dry so we can fight Russia instead in the next generation. Dollar to donuts it would include waves of Ukrainian “soldiers” too. What kind of threat is that?
I feel like it’s a super empty and while Ukraine might not be above using antipersonel mines and the occasional misuse of prisoners(those videos that get posted from time to time with them talking to family) it gets way too much ink. Just total whataboutism distraction from Russias daily activities.

There's definitely a line beyond which we turn off the spigot. We briefly did it to the Saudis over Yemen, and they have us by the balls on gas prices (as we found out).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

I thought the initial balloon was alleged to be snooping on missile silos—did it just happen to get lucky in the jet stream to achieve the overflight? Posting out of my rear end (as usual), but couldn't you just slap a propeller on it to fine tune the course?

That first one turned out of the wind's direction, and loitered over specific areas. It had some kind of propulsion, whether a propeller or something else.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

the balloon cost is "how much does a mylar envelope and a canister of helium cost?", as they will float at around 60,000 feet with no other effort required.

The F-22 is holy shitfuckingballs more expensive per hour.

The big thing is whoever is floating the balloons is figuring out exactly how sensitive the detection systems that NORAD has are.

Flight hours are tricky. The pilots that flew these missions got their weekly flight. They just did something for NORAD instead of a generic 2v2 in the nearby military airspace. So those flight hours and associated costs were going to be paid ANYWAY. It's the same reason sporting event flyovers and similar stuff isn't the huge waste of money some people like to claim...it still checks the box for the normal training flight, but it's a different profile which if anything is a good thing because it's not the same poo poo as the last six flights.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I'm wondering what sort of blackmail Greg Gutfeld must have to somehow get Super Bowl slots for his lovely late night show.

He just has to say the extreme right things. Fox is the broadcaster...there have been quite a few Fox Nation commercials this game.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soylent Pudding posted:

An air force guy once told me that a stadium overflight basically trains all the steps for a precision bombing operation minus the ordinance release. Not sure how true that is but on the surface it sounded plausible.

It's exactly right. They're not just flying there and back, they're hitting waypoints at specific times. Or at least, they're supposed to be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

The brigades near the Canadian border also have Canadian exchange officers working on their staffs that essentially do the same kind of work as any American captain on a staff would do.

Canada gets some percentage of AWACS crew positions, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

Graham is a completely spineless shapeshifter with no principles but he's not a fool

According to people I work with, he's a RINO

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Arrath posted:

Nice to see purity testing eat up groups other than leftist movements for once.

Yeah, but the ones on the right will get in line behind whomever, when the time comes. The left sticks to their guns and will shoot themselves to spite their not-allied-enough neighbors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

I honestly didn't know they still flew u2s

These airframes were built in the 1980s, so at least they're not the original birds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Insane that China might be the biggest foreign policy challenge of Biden's term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

It was always going to be, the surprising part is the Russian detour along the way.

Initially sure, China makes a lot of sense. After the invasion, I figured nothing would top that. But the West has reacted so effectively and with little public disagreement that they made it look easy...I didn't quite expect that, so China pushing to get back out in front just isn't something I'd considered.