Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I imagine that a lot of older Dems have strong memories of 1980, when Ted Kennedy's primary against Carter severely weakened him in the general. One of the benefits of incumbency is you can raise money and look good/competent while the other side is busy burning wads of cash trying to tear each other apart in their primary, and a real campaign to primary Biden would waste one of the biggest advantages the Dems have in that regard.

I don't think they care about winning. They just want to make sure the right kind of democrat gets the nomination and they already have that with Biden being president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm surprised the US acknowledged it, seems like it would be easier to feed disinfo if we pretend we can't see it

It's harder to figure out what a device is receiving when it's passive.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

VSOKUL girl posted:

whereas DS9 you can only sometimes watch out of order

I bounced off DS9 season 2 a number of times. I loving hate everything about the maquis. So stupid. So when I was IK in SciFiWiFi I ran a competition to show me the very best of DS9. Didn't care about spoilers or order or anything. Each poster got a few sentences to set the stage for the episode if they wanted to.

Doing it that way was the only way I could get interested in the show enough to watch past season 2. Which I eventually did (Except the stupid baseball episode because baseball is stupid).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ASAPI posted:

This about sums up my experience with DS9 as well.

For whatever reason the show never "clicked" for me. I can see why others enjoy it. I just don't.

It did click, but I had to watch the best of the best first. Then go back and fill in the rest of it by watching it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That whole bit about the changeling menace was one of the things I really didn't like about DS9. The Federation is supposed to be better than us. Yes it's unrealistic but I don't care. It's space ships, it's okay to not be real.

Edit: yea, B5 is rough to start. Still one of the best payoffs in TV though. Especially if you enjoy the Dominion War or the aformentioned "how much is our safety worth" things from DS9. It goes hard on that stuff.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

That's the thing, though. The Maquis don't have defensible reasons.

"Hi! We're going to settle these planets in a disputed zone! Thank you for fighting a war in defense of our territorial claims! Wait, what, some of these planets were ceded to Cardassia in the peace treaty? We demand you go to war over those planets! What do you mean no?! My family has lived on this planet for part of an entire generation! This is our ancestral home! We don't WANT you to move us to a new planet and set us up there! gently caress you, we're breaking off and are going to attack the Cardassians until we get what we want!"

Also the maquis have bigly "Traditional Values" vibes with Eddington going on about how replicated food just isn't as good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

The Maquis were the good guys

Maquis are the same kinds of people who go winter hiking on mountains and then die, while putting hundreds of other people at risk searching for their stupid rear end.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

Same issue, but they weren't involved with the Maquis.

Yea, it's not the maquis but you can see it as like, a proto-maquis. Another reason I hate the maquis is because it's clearly trying to draw parallels to native's being genocided and their homes destroyed but it's just because eddington is a foodie hipster shithead.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

psydude posted:

I just want to reiterate the US just shot down a literal Unidentified Flying Object in TYOOL 2023.

All things shot down, unless identified, are UFOs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lightpole posted:

The angst in anticipation of racism is extremely weird.

Mlyp

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wombot posted:

Yeah, this seems like a bad idea for a hobby? This community is using a set of calculations to figure out how much helium to put in a standard mylar party balloon, but those envelopes can't handle more than 30k feet altitude. There are some low-cost (tens of dollars) envelopes that can handle higher, as well, but still 40k feet or thereabouts. So you have a community of people who looked at the FAA regs and saw the rules only apply to things weighing more than 6lbs and decided, "We're fine! Launch 'em if you got 'em!" right into the airspace used for commercial aviation.

It has literally never been a problem before, specifically exempted by the regulations, and is only now being noticed by other people because everyone's looking for a distraction. It's not really on them

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

slurm posted:

Gun tech and gun laws haven't really changed in generations but eventually we just become so hosed up as to think, wow let's just slaughter each other because we're mad at Facebook. A country just straight up racing backwards as a society, and we weren't even that good to start with. We can no longer be trusted with guns and I remember when that was something we relentlessly mocked other countries for.

Gun laws have been changing a lot in the last few decades.

It's just not a lot of lawmakers making changes at the federal level. It's a lot of state changes and ATF administrative changes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And let's not pretend that the CIA wasn't going to do whatever the hell it wanted down there, authorization or no.

He still authorized it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lightpole posted:

Putting in a lot of effort to push a Carter Bad narrative

Lotta effort in the whole "Carter never did anything wrong" version of history.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lightpole posted:

"Carter Bad" and "Carter never did anything wrong" are two different things.

Yes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Another case of don't meet your heroes.

Although its ironic given his Law and Order character was also whacked out paranoid like that.

Big time Garibaldi from Babylon 5 vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

lmao the Belzer v. Bollea case back in the day, Belzer shouldn't have gotten a penny, man got put in a sleeper hold after begging Hogan to do it, and Hogan refused, only doing it after being heckled by the crowd, Belzer, and Mr. T. Hogan slipped while setting Belzer down and Belzer cracked his head on the concrete and he sued Hogan for 5 million dollars for injuries.

Then again in the US you can sue a homeowner for injuring yourself while breaking and entering on their property lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hogan was a poo poo wrestler and deserves absolutely no benefit of a doubt. His technical skills are negative.