Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Sexy-yama Update from the comfort of my bed:

I, too, would pay to watch this on TV

Be-shirted Sexy-yama, fighting in his penultimate form

:same:

Giving the crowd what it craves

Pantastic body engaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lmao, what was the end result?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lmao, what was the end result?

Our boy prevailed, but the real winner was the crowd

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pantastic body engaged

At some point, another contestant watching said “wow!” in a way extremely like pantastic fan.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Fight Week, Pet Wee - UFC Fight Night edition!

Good news/bad news

Bad news: only one fighter had pet pics that met my criteria (I scroll through 1 year of instagram posts. Anything older than that shows a lack of dedication to providing pet content)

Good news: Marcin Tybura's got corgis and he's got plenty of pictures of them!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Omg they are adorable and now Tybura is one of my favorite fighters

That 3rd pic! Corgi in a hat and glasses

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

It's when you're arms tense up, usually directly out in front of you upon incurring serious head trauma that knocks you out

Not in-lining since they can be hard to watch- first is nfl from a few months ago, second is the edson barboza wheel kick we all know

https://youtu.be/QwyNhC3BjTM

https://youtu.be/4ZRvAif8-mk

Yeah I get the idea and know why/how it happens etc., but the term "fencing position" is new to me.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Sexy-yama Update from the comfort of my bed:

I, too, would pay to watch this on TV

Be-shirted Sexy-yama, fighting in his penultimate form

:same:

Giving the crowd what it craves

Pantastic body engaged

Apparently in Episode 4 the female national freestyle wrestler just manhandles one of the male contestants by grappling him to death.

Also Sherdog put out this article about being on the road with Fedor for different events etc. and this stood out

https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Stories-from-the-Road-Fedor-Emelianenko-189067

quote:

I remember on a chartered bus ride from Kansas City, where M-1 Global was doing an [M-1] Challenge show, to St. Louis, when Gegard Mousasi fell asleep for a nap in his bus seat. Fedor grabbed the seat from behind and shook it as hard as he could. When Gegard woke up startled and looked behind him, Fedor said, “turbulence.”

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 3, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dan hardy has always been very positive toward fighters except a couple and has largely been a big advocate for fighter safety.

I think the Terry Etim one being referenced is and interesting one because iirc Etim and Hardy had trained in the past together and Etims life was changed irrevocably from that KO that he suffered.

To the point where his brain was that badly damaged he had an episode and ran into traffic and was badly hurt.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I said this on the discord but the UFC pulling that fight card from Korea is bonkers. Even if they didn't have TKZ on the card, the rest of the people there are, relatively, decently known in the MMA/combat sports sphere on Korean TV.

Also I think Da Un Jung could have, probably(?), headlined the card if they wanted a Korean national to do it. He has enough KOs and wins that, why not toss him in the main event on a relatively "nobody cares about it" Fight Night? Like his KO of Rodriguez in Busan was, having been there live, a huge moment and people loved him for it. He's also an oddity within East Asian MMA given he's 6'4 and a LHW and also has a winning record in the UFC.

IDK, they could've put a quick highlight reel of him and maybe paired him with a different guy and it would've been a decent card. And by another guy I mean someone who, if you want international appeal outside of Asia, is on the downwards slope of their career. Eg, Jimmy Crute who is coming off two losses and is 12-3 in his own career. Also given Jimmy is ranked top 15 (lol rankings don't matter), it would've been a good test for Jung or shown that Crute is still a capable fighter.

We've said it a bunch over the past few years but UFC really sucks at promoting their own sport. :shrug:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Re: Akiyama TV show, Wait did they actually hit each other or did it just end up being down on the ground?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was like....old school Pancrase slaps and very, very , kicks to the lower leg. I can't recall any strikes to the head at all.

It was mostly a very light sparring kind of thing when it came to striking, but the grappling was actually grappling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It was fairly light striking overall, including kicks. They went open handed and didn’t do much striking on the ground. If they agreed to those rules and intensity, it wasn’t shown on screen.

E: I thought they skated to each other’s guards and could have hit the head, but were generally pretty cautious on the feet. A lot of the other contestants did the same thing — agreeing to some rules explicitly or implicitly and doing that instead of focusing on the ball that was the point of the game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a very bulky/well built prison guard who was matched with a wrestler on the national team, and the wrestler just kept suplexing the prison guard and in his interview the prison guard was like "I'm a large person and I never imagined I could be lifted up like that."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here are some more combat sports adjacent gifs from the show (which you should all really watch just cuz its pretty fun in general).

First up is a guy from the Korean national rugby team (if you know rugby you know that Korea is NOT a good team) just casually picking up a fairly large woman who is a ssierum wrestler (aka Korean folk-style wrestling sort of similar to sumo).

https://i.imgur.com/AtQKD9Q.mp4

Just picks her up.

Here is the aforementioned prison guard versus the korean wrestler (guy with the beard). The didn't speak to each other and both being large boys this line is pretty apt for how they approached each other.

https://i.imgur.com/w3Ed2uT.mp4

And here is the suplex against the guard.

https://i.imgur.com/R1cUDGJ.mp4

The girl going "GOOD ONE!" is also on the national wrestling team.

Here is her reaction as a standalone gif because I thought it was funny.

https://i.imgur.com/lO9oprY.mp4

Here she is basically piledrivering a Sgt. 1st Class in the Korean military special forces reserve unit. I think she is a UDT, aka Navy SEAL, but I'm not sure how they have that and are a reservist.

https://i.imgur.com/Pachw6j.mp4

Here's the MMA rules fight Sexyama was in.

https://i.imgur.com/z95lY02.mp4

You can see they're not really going to KO or hurt each other but still....sparring?

There's a open palmed slap Sexyama did that made the guy wince later on.

This was the crowd's reaction.

https://i.imgur.com/w67kTDw.mp4

Here's Sexyama taking off his shirt for the crowd.

https://i.imgur.com/ELXmRzE.mp4

Here is one last gif because I just found her reaction funny. She is the non-world champion boxer who beat the world champion boxer in their match on the show.

Again...this is a random show on Netflix and is so loving fun/stupid and they've only put out 4 episodes so far and its like 3 episodes of just this sort of competition.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 3, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

drat those GIFs totally make me want to check it out, but I do not have Netflix so I can't watch strong Korean women gut-wrench DDT dudes. :(

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Here is one last gif because I just found her reaction funny. She is the non-world champion boxer who beat the world champion boxer in their match on the show.

Again...this is a random show on Netflix and is so loving fun/stupid and they've only put out 4 episodes so far and its like 3 episodes of just this sort of competition.

That's Kkang Mi, the dorky reservist special forces sergeant that loves to sound off and salute at every possible occasion. She did a "combat roll" out of the gate in her match and followed it up with some form of tiger-stance and a scream to intimidate her opponent Jang Eun-sil, an olympic wrestler.
Her strategy for the match was to "secure" the ball in a couple of tires before getting single-legged and ragdolled around the arena.

If that's not a selling-point for the show next to Sexyama, I don't know what is.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lmao I'm sold for sure

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Between milf manor (thanks F1 thread) and this show I've got a lot of weird tv to try and watch this weekend

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PoisedLargeKronosaurus-mobile.mp4

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's Kkang Mi, the dorky reservist special forces sergeant that loves to sound off and salute at every possible occasion. She did a "combat roll" out of the gate in her match and followed it up with some form of tiger-stance and a scream to intimidate her opponent Jang Eun-sil, an olympic wrestler.
Her strategy for the match was to "secure" the ball in a couple of tires before getting single-legged and ragdolled around the arena.

If that's not a selling-point for the show next to Sexyama, I don't know what is.

You're right. She and the boxer (can't recall the name off hand) have a vaguely similar hair style and color.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

If I had to compliment the ufc it would be disallowing soccer kicks and really that's the athletic commissions so yeah still on team gently caress the ufc but, yeesh, seeing that poo poo makes me queezy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i agree but akiyama is (was?) such a dickhead that i'll always enjoy that gif

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

LobsterMobster posted:

Fight Week, Pet Wee - UFC Fight Night edition!

takin' the dogs on a canoe trip. ain't nothin' better.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you want an enjoyable 90 minutes of pure combat entertainment, the entire second half of today's ONE Friday Fights card was great.

ONE Friday Fights 3 - 2022-02-03
Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand

This week’s show has a full royal sampler: 7 Muay Thai fights, 3 MMA fights, and a kickboxing bout. The main event sees Chorfah Tor.Sangtiennoi (0-1 in ONE) facing off with newcomer PetchSukhumvit BoyBangna. Chorfah had a record of 3-3-1 in 2022 and lost his ONE debut via KO to Tagir Khalilov in December. PetchSukhumvit is the current Rajadamnern Stadium Super Featherweight champion. He lost his first challenge in 2021 to Yodthongthai but when the title was vacated he was able to capture it in March 2022 over Ploywittiya and then defended it in June over Yodwittaya.

The show is located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eReQsoNYJo
Fights highlighted in bold were ones that I found particularly entertaining.

Part 1

Dmitriy Babkin (7-1) vs. Ivan Parshikov (8-3) (MMA 145) 8:11
Barbara Aguiar (33-5) vs. Dokmaipa Fairtex (57-12) (MT 125) 34:08
Elliot Compton (1-0, 46-14 MT/KB) vs. Alisson Barbosa (18-8) (MMA 170) 52:37
Alex Bublea (72-30) vs. Alan Yauny (27-9) (MT 155) 1:05:45
Shannon Wiratchai (10-6) vs. Pourya Golpour (4-2) (MMA 155) 1:27:51
Rungrawee Sitsongpeenong (152-46) vs. Mustafa Al Tekreeti (22-7) (MT 170) 1:47:26

Part 2

Thestar Sitcho (63-17) vs. Yu Yau Pui (22-2) (MT 115) 2:11:37
Panrit Lukjaomaesaiwaree (68-26) vs. Ilyas Musaev (8-0) (MT 145) 2:28:14
Kongchai Chanaidonmueang (67-10) vs. Kritpetch PK.Saenchai (65-15) (MT 125) 2:44:08
Paedsanlek PK.Saenchai (60-35) vs. Elbrus Amirkhanovich (6-0) (KB 145) 2:56:23
Chorfah Tor.Sangtiennoi (100-43) vs. PetchSukhumvit BoyBangna (60-26) (MT 135) 3:10:21

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

In mostly unsurprising Heavyweight news:

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1621595414825783297

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

man how did they not give Bam Bam a fight next weekend?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

man how did they not give Bam Bam a fight next weekend?

Cuz he got knocked out in under a minute 2 months ago, after he got knocked out exactly 3 months before that. Dude needs a break.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Bah it's what he does, those two were elite, just give him someone in the latter half of the rankings and get a scrap on.

But fine I guess one needs a bit of a lie down after facing that Russian tank.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Bah it's what he does, those two were elite, just give him someone in the latter half of the rankings and get a scrap on.

But fine I guess one needs a bit of a lie down after facing that Russian tank.

Yeah the point isn't that he lost 2 fights so therefore he's not skilled, it is that he needs to take a break from taking brain damage.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

finally a challenger steps to cody garbrandt (first 20 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcIh9fV0yIs

cody can probably still choke it all down though

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1621887885388513283
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1621888052384743424

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
September. That is so far away.

Rooting that both Jones and Conor gently caress it up so Dana's head just turns a new shade of red

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Handy Abdelwahab is a heck of a name.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Michael Chandler is 2-3 in the UFC, and those two victories were against Dan Hooker, whose best win was a shaky decision over a retiring Paul Felder, and Tony Ferguson 3/4 of the way through his career collapse, and yet Chandler is the #5 lightweight in the world, has had two title eliminator opportunities, and is now the winner of the Conor McGregor sweepstakes.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

It's because his fights are good

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

reeg posted:

It's because his fights are good

twice the action, half the price

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
McGregor shouldn’t be fighting someone with a recent winning track record anyway. His last win was over three years ago against a washed Donald Cerrone. And his last win before that was in 2016. Matchmaking seems mostly okay to me for once.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

If the fight doesn't happen until the Fall at earliest it will have been almost four years since that fight, and honestly, if your last ranked win was four years ago and you're on a two-fight losing streak, from a divisional standpoint, I feel like you should be fighting Renato Moicano or Grant Dawson and not the #5 guy perennially on the edge of another title shot.

But this fight has everything to do with money and nothing to do with matchmaking anyway, so.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Rooting that both Jones and Conor gently caress it up so Dana's head just turns a new shade of red

Well at least so far there's this:

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1621953435401691137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CarlCX posted:

Michael Chandler is 2-3 in the UFC, and those two victories were against Dan Hooker, whose best win was a shaky decision over a retiring Paul Felder, and Tony Ferguson 3/4 of the way through his career collapse, and yet Chandler is the #5 lightweight in the world, has had two title eliminator opportunities, and is now the winner of the Conor McGregor sweepstakes.

Apart from the pay and the billing and the likelihood of the winner being parachuted in to a title shot in a weightclass of their choosing, the match-up actually makes sense for both guys. They are at similar points in their careers with similarly unproven records against the top of the current heap, and both are very aggressive fighters so it'll definitely be a good fight. It's just that in terms of divisional relevance it should be a 5 round fight night main event instead of a ppv headliner.

That said, I am hating myself for looking forward to Conor trying to get under Chandler's skin. Something about Chandler's self-serious dweebiness wants me to seem Conor embarrass him at a press conference.

And I'm still surprised they are doing Masvidal/Burns instead of Masvidal/Conor. Masvidal/Conor would make a ton of sense as a WW debut for Conor as Jorge is also an exile from LW who hasn't won in a while. Whereas Burns will probably just beat Masvidal and get nothing for it.