Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
First big show kickboxing of the year is out on Youtube for free, RISE 164 from last weekend
https://bocot.substack.com/p/tape-delay-kickboxing-10-rise-164

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lucasar posted:

Apart from the pay and the billing and the likelihood of the winner being parachuted in to a title shot in a weightclass of their choosing, the match-up actually makes sense for both guys. They are at similar points in their careers with similarly unproven records against the top of the current heap, and both are very aggressive fighters so it'll definitely be a good fight. It's just that in terms of divisional relevance it should be a 5 round fight night main event instead of a ppv headliner.

That said, I am hating myself for looking forward to Conor trying to get under Chandler's skin. Something about Chandler's self-serious dweebiness wants me to seem Conor embarrass him at a press conference.

And I'm still surprised they are doing Masvidal/Burns instead of Masvidal/Conor. Masvidal/Conor would make a ton of sense as a WW debut for Conor as Jorge is also an exile from LW who hasn't won in a while. Whereas Burns will probably just beat Masvidal and get nothing for it.
I have to agree. The Ufcs lightweight division right now is arguably the strongest division in the history of the sport. Conor v Chandler is just a great choice of match up for them both. Chandlers record recently is what it is, but to be fair to him he's fought a bit of a murderers row and he never looked bad in any of those fights.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don’t think Conor was that aggressive in his last fights, and definitely won’t be against someone whose double leg faces little challenge from Conor’s repertoire. He can lay off the roids and start timing knees for the rest of camp.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
GDT for Bellator and UFC

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023312

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Conor will lose in a stupid way. His fans will insist that he actually looked quite good considering the break he's had and that saturn is in retrograde. He'll then fight for the middleweight title.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Snowman_McK posted:

Conor will lose in a stupid way. His fans will insist that he actually looked quite good considering the break he's had and that saturn is in retrograde. He'll then fight for the middleweight title.

Please DM me the MegaMillions winning numbers since you can obviously see the future.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

chandler is loving annoying but has had zero boring fights, hope he beats the brakes off the sex pervert & retires him

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

code:
Somewhere, Socrates Spontaneously Sobs
Good LOL

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this is one of those 'take the warning labels off everything and let nature take it's course' things

massive brain damage for a shot at the white power slap league.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I don’t think Conor was that aggressive in his last fights, and definitely won’t be against someone whose double leg faces little challenge from Conor’s repertoire. He can lay off the roids and start timing knees for the rest of camp.

Conor's always been a counter fighter, he's not going to lead now and while Chandler does have the wrestling chops he has of late been using the threat of his wrestling to create that uncertainty that opens up he leaping hook, overhands and even high kicks.

Chandler does have great accuracy and he pushes back and forth and holds the pace well. It's a fun match up with Conor I don't get how anyone can look at this on paper and not be keen to see it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlindSite posted:

Conor's always been a counter fighter, he's not going to lead now

I was just responding to "both are very aggressive fighters"

Conor's pace is high if the other fighter gives a lot of openings coming in or standing on the pocket, so he'll probably be active until he gasses. Then it's gonna be non existent takedown defense and passive ground work.

Best case scenario is a Chad Mendes type result. Not out of the question.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1622027179600056320

I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. Kim Ji-Yeon is literally cursed.

Several bad decisions that arguably should've gone her way. Several injuries. And just....this...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I have so many questions

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That has to be a troll post right?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mekchu posted:

That has to be a troll post right?

Bored, dumb kids in the midwest do this kind of poo poo anyway; now they just get to call it training

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Chandler does have great accuracy

?????

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Everyone go watch Larkin - Berkhamov

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Watch him fight maybe?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

He throws big looping punches that usually get slipped or blocked

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/SHOsports/status/1622043492255174656

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

He throws big looping punches that usually get slipped or blocked

His last three knock outs were virtually one shot knock-outs against a moving defending opponent and he rocked / dropped porier and Olivera both with single shots.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Sure he has power and timing, not accuracy.

UFC stats have him at 46% for whatever that's worth.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chandler is a fighter who is very different after the first 6 or so minutes of a fight. He's an extremely powerful and aggressive puncher with deceptively sharp footwork at the beginning but once that initial round-and-a-bit rush wears off he starts throwing single shots and rubbing his face on his opponent's crush and trying to sit in the guard as long as he can to get a rest.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

COPE 27 posted:

Sure he has power and timing, not accuracy.

UFC stats have him at 46% for whatever that's worth.

That.... Sounds pretty loving good. What's the avg in the division?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I can't see an average anywhere, top 10 is 56 - 60 though.

e: I'm actually kind of a Chandler fan and I hope he beats the alleged rapist, I just don't think he's very accurate.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 5, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COPE 27 posted:

I can't see an average anywhere, top 10 is 56 - 60 though.

sounds like the numbers are hosed because in elite boxing matches the accuracy percentage is way lower than that.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Boxers have bigger gloves and don't have to stuff takedown attempts.

Also mma fighters aren't elite boxers

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 5, 2023

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

If you read the fine print the UFC's striking average stats are stupid because they only average significant strike ratios. So Islam can, say, ground Thiago Moises and throw hundreds of punches, but they'll only count the significant strikes and say he had a 66% average.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
oh my loving god the sequel to an all-time iconic MMA moment https://twitter.com/pharrfromheaven/status/1622062894316765184

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
i’m not sure if mark or his daughters look older relative to the original

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

loving lol

e: not the gdt but still lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Father Time by TKO.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Father Time by TKO.

One day, all the belts will be vacant, and the earth will never know that nazis and sex offenders once pitted themselves against each other in unfortunately not mortal enough combat.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i liked the whole fight but the last 15 seconds of Eblen and Tolkov was hype as hell.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

just reposting this for folks wandering in

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Huh. I just learned that Mark Coleman and Kevin randleman were both victims of sexual assault by Ohio state's team doctor during the big scandal with US rep Jim Jordan turning a blind eye.

I know this is old news to most of you but I'm just now learning that that doctor lost his job at the university, opened up his own place, and resumed abusing boys / men.

Awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Feeling nostalgic for stories of Fedor ducking people or his management doing really shady things. Does anyone have the greatest hits? These threads used to have the best Fedor stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

kimbo305 posted:

I was just responding to "both are very aggressive fighters"

Conor's pace is high if the other fighter gives a lot of openings coming in or standing on the pocket, so he'll probably be active until he gasses. Then it's gonna be non existent takedown defense and passive ground work.

Best case scenario is a Chad Mendes type result. Not out of the question.

I'm the one who called Conor aggressive and you're right it was not the most precise choice of words. I guess I meant that his output is always pretty good and he doesn't avoid engagements, which is not always true for counter fighters. Like Adesanya and Anderson can have these sort of bare-minimum performances where they just stay safe and don't take any risks that I don't think Conor has the personality for. Conor takes risks and moves forward.