Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This might be the new worst main card I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't know, i think this could be TBD's breakout show

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CarlCX posted:

This might be the new worst main card I've seen.

Will probably end up a total banger from the start of the prelims to the end of the main event.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Previously, in the GDT:

CarlCX posted:

I'm actually in favor of that point deduction but it's contingent on them taking points for fouls all the loving time, like they should, as opposed to what's going to happen here, which is Chris Tognoni will get bitched out by Dana White and refs will let people get away with fouls for another six months until we start the process again.

And now, the conclusion:
https://twitter.com/mma_orbit/status/1622159173914959872

Like clockwork.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CarlCX posted:

Previously, in the GDT:

And now, the conclusion:
https://twitter.com/mma_orbit/status/1622159173914959872

Like clockwork.

Dana white doesn't believe in consequences

Edit: for breaking rules

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
man korean superboy was so exciting when he first got on the scene.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jared Rosholt fought on the card where Doo Ho Choi made his UFC debut. Two weeks beforehand Shogun was knocked out by a skateboard. Johny Hendricks was still the welterweight champion. There was only one women's division. The top-grossing film in America was Dumb & Dumber To.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

CarlCX posted:

Jared Rosholt fought on the card where Doo Ho Choi made his UFC debut. Two weeks beforehand Shogun was knocked out by a skateboard. Johny Hendricks was still the welterweight champion. There was only one women's division. The top-grossing film in America was Dumb & Dumber To.
The Team Takedown Era

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fun to read the general internet copium about Fedor having even half a chance despite him not having a good fight in nearly a decade and a half.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Jake Paul vs Fedor.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I want Jake Paul vs Fedor.
and I want it to end in a completely unsatisfying clash of heads NC

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

only if their mouthpieces fall out and catapult into Floyd Mayweather in the crowd and knock him out too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So for the superboy fight

-Commentary was really partisan for Choi
-Nelson had 2 minutes of back control in the first and a knockdown in the second and either of those rounds could plausibly scored for him
-The headbutt deserved the point deduction.
-Dana doesn't care who won, he's just grandstanding because he thinks he can still sell Choi to the Korean audience and he needs an excuse to keep around a fighter who is winless in nearly 7 years and 4 fights.

And it doesn't matter if you think he should have won, his days as a realistic contender are over even if he got the KO at 3-4:59 because of the amount of trouble he had with Kyle Nelson, sad to say. He needs to go do whatever handsome korean tough boys do instead of MMA.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Fun to read the general internet copium about Fedor having even half a chance despite him not having a good fight in nearly a decade and a half.

I figured he had a chance not because he's good but because Bader is bad and chinny.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1622170191970041857

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

white power slap

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Remember the time Dana White hosed a stripper in Brazil and when her boyfriend texted him to confront/blackmail him, he pretended he was some random lady and the dude had the wrong number?

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Fun fact, that boyfriend ended up in jail over it, but it was for distributing obscene materials

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/ALIAQUINTA/status/1622354129371762688

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

"Dana White, angrily clutching a can of Monster Energy© at a post-fight presser, cannot name the UFC lightweight champion" is what shitposting dreams are made of.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I hope the winner takes the mic and says "I want to thank uhhh the uhhh..... president of the ufc for giving me this opportunity" then is promptly stripped of the title and has their contract terminated

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ilmucche posted:

I hope the winner takes the mic and says "I want to thank uhhh the uhhh..... president of the ufc for giving me this opportunity" then is promptly stripped of the title and has their contract terminated
would be the best post-fight since Khabib’s goomba-stomp

Maybe even the best since Mayhem getting 209’d

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The craziest part of that is Makhachev has something of a legitimate claim to be #2 UFC men's P4P. The current lineup of champs is insanely weak.

It's clearly Volkanovski at #1, which would be true even if there were more established champions. Mans a beast.

Aljo has two defenses, a close-ish decision over Yan and absolutely dominating a one-armed TJ. Personally I think that should earn him #2 but I understand a lot of people who consider the second Yan fight to be where he won the title. Aljo also has a style that looks awkward if he isn't immediately taking people down and turning them to pretzels. He's simultaneously a better and worse striker than people give him credit for. He has a high pace, clever, long range game but his bad form and too much funk make it use more energy than he's able to recover if he isn't allowed to dictate the pace. He also doesn't have a good plan for how to build from his successes on the feet, either what he tries to do from the start works or it stops working.

Then of all the champs with no defenses, Makhachev did the best against the previous champ. It's clear he's at the top of the pack when you combine that with the depth of LW, the legitimacy of the previous champ, and judging his skills separate from his strength of schedule.

Edit: Volk vs. Max 2 was between the top two p4p fighters imo.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 6, 2023

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The craziest part of that is Makhachev has something of a legitimate claim to be #2 UFC men's P4P. The current lineup of champs is insanely weak.

It's clearly Volkanovski at #1, which would be true even if there were more established champions. Mans a beast.

Aljo has two defenses, a close-ish decision over Yan and absolutely dominating a one-armed TJ. Personally I think that should earn him #2 but I understand a lot of people who consider the second Yan fight to be where he won the title. Aljo also has a style that looks awkward if he isn't immediately taking people down and turning them to pretzels. He's simultaneously a better and worse striker than people give him credit for. He has a high pace, clever, long range game but his bad form and too much funk make it use more energy than he's able to recover if he isn't allowed to dictate the pace. He also doesn't have a good plan for how to build from his successes on the feet, either what he tries to do from the start works or it stops working.

Then of all the champs with no defenses, Makhachev did the best against the previous champ. It's clear he's at the top of the pack when you combine that with the depth of LW, the legitimacy of the previous champ, and judging his skills separate from his strength of schedule.

Edit: Volk vs. Max 2 was between the top two p4p fighters imo.

Aljo is lame as poo poo and he can scramble all over people but he did nothing with it against Yan and just looked bad. If you can spend that long in back mount and not get a finish you aren't a top p4p fighter.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

cagliostr0 posted:

Aljo is lame as poo poo and he can scramble all over people but he did nothing with it against Yan and just looked bad. If you can spend that long in back mount and not get a finish you aren't a top p4p fighter.

Finishing other really good people is pretty hard it turns out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

He needs to go do whatever handsome korean tough boys do instead of MMA.

Having seen what those sorts of guys try to get away with firsthand, I would not recommend anyone go do that. Hint: it's akin to roofieing a girl, but instead of roofies it's just forcing them to drink copious amounts of liquor

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I know he got ko'd recently, but I still think of Usman as one of the current top p4p guys.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lucasar posted:

I know he got ko'd recently, but I still think of Usman as one of the current top p4p guys.

Unless he wins the belt back and has another lengthy reign, which is fully feasible, I think Usman's place in pound-for-pound history is ultimately going to be held back by the UFC's matchmaking. A reign that lasted three and a half years involved only three people, and between the three of them they have exactly three top ten victories during said title reign combined, and they're 1) a washed Tyron Woodley who retired to get murdered by Jake Paul one fight later, 2) a Ben Askren who, somehow, also retired to get murdered by Jake Paul one fight later, and 3) Demian Maia, who rules but was visibly at the end of the line.

Usman was obviously one of the best fighters in the history of welterweight during his reign, but he presided over the same period of time as contenders like Leon, Khamzat, Stephen Thompson, Vicente Luque and even non-UFC folks like Yaroslav Amosov, he kept fighting Colby and Jorge instead, and the first time he got matched with a rightful top contender he got his skull kicked off. He's not inherently RESPONSIBLE for the UFC's matchmaking, but it hangs a big weight around his reign's neck.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CarlCX posted:

and the first time he got matched with a rightful top contender he got his skull kicked off.

Great points but let's not forget the other 24min of that fight tho

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

beep by grandpa posted:

Great points but let's not forget the other 24min of that fight tho

for real. leon edwards is as much a champion as matt serra: he earned it, and it ruled, and it's legit...... but

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Totally, hence the

CarlCX posted:

he wins the belt back and has another lengthy reign, which is fully feasible,

but until he does, it's still this. And while I do obviously favor Usman to win the rematch, before you write the Serra/GSP 2 obituary don't forget Edwards won the first round and had Usman desperately fighting off an RNC for like ninety seconds. Usman SHOULD win, but Edwards is a very, very live dog.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

TheKingslayer posted:

And yet every other p4p hopeful finds a way. He's no cookie Monster but he's also nowhere close to the khabib/Volk/mighty mouse zone

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he's also fighting way better fighters than any of those guys did

e: except volk. but he also doesn't really finish people regularly.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Marching Powder posted:

for real. leon edwards is as much a champion as matt serra: he earned it, and it ruled, and it's legit...... but

Chael is better than Anderson, cause.... look at those other 24 minutes....

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Looking only at the parts of the fight that the loser was winning is one of the strangest mma fan habits.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How well a fighter is doing in a fight they end up losing is obviously worth studying to understand their overall performance and ability. It shouldn’t excuse or negate their losing, of course.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Chael is better than Anderson, cause.... look at those other 24 minutes....

Correct, yes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

Looking only at the parts of the fight that the loser was winning is one of the strangest mma fan habits.

Edwards: what's the game plan coach?

Coach: you don't mess with a winning formula, we're going to-

Together: get the poo poo beat out of us for 20 minutes and win with a hail mary

Edwards: I know coach

Coach: go get em kid

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

TheKingslayer posted:

i tried that excuse with my wife but now im single :(

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of constantly losing, let's check in on how Bellator's big network television debut, anchored by two championships, their biggest beltholder and the retirement of their most famous fighter went!

https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/1622613999899533316

Well, that seems not great, but on a typical Friday evening CBS is just airing re-runs of their other poo poo, so it's gotta have improved on that, right?

Fedor's retirement fight did 1/3 the viewership of a rerun of S.W.A.T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

So many people watching figure skating