Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mekchu posted:

And for saying, "needless head trauma is bad!"

In Greg Hardy’s case, it was needed trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is surprisingly hard to find the picture of his obviously loaded glove from that one fight (I think sakuraba but I can't recall) anymore.

This is the pic I remember:

Which I always thought was way too tinfoily. Like that specific set of lizard brass knuckles?

But there was legit discussion about what kind of wrapping is permitted under the glove? And this sample of glove pics:

I don't see any issues with the handwrap in the Akiyama pic, but it could certainly have been plastered up.

Can't read this but maybe it has more specific complaints:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Yeah there are all kinds of different wrap/tape styles. Fighters who want to punch tend to put more on the hands and knuckles; fighters who want to grabble tend to put less.

Some of the grapplers who still threw leather with barely any knuckle or wrist support are crazy. But that’s redundant.

Speaking of Akiyama and striking without gloves, one of the MMA fighters on Physical 100 challenged Akiyama to an MMA rules fight in place of whatever keepaway/wrestling game they were doing, and Akiyama accepted. No gloves, no mouthguard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pantastic body engaged

At some point, another contestant watching said “wow!” in a way extremely like pantastic fan.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It was fairly light striking overall, including kicks. They went open handed and didn’t do much striking on the ground. If they agreed to those rules and intensity, it wasn’t shown on screen.

E: I thought they skated to each other’s guards and could have hit the head, but were generally pretty cautious on the feet. A lot of the other contestants did the same thing — agreeing to some rules explicitly or implicitly and doing that instead of focusing on the ball that was the point of the game.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don’t think Conor was that aggressive in his last fights, and definitely won’t be against someone whose double leg faces little challenge from Conor’s repertoire. He can lay off the roids and start timing knees for the rest of camp.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Conor's always been a counter fighter, he's not going to lead now

I was just responding to "both are very aggressive fighters"

Conor's pace is high if the other fighter gives a lot of openings coming in or standing on the pocket, so he'll probably be active until he gasses. Then it's gonna be non existent takedown defense and passive ground work.

Best case scenario is a Chad Mendes type result. Not out of the question.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How well a fighter is doing in a fight they end up losing is obviously worth studying to understand their overall performance and ability. It shouldn’t excuse or negate their losing, of course.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lid posted:

went through that thread and I still hold TJ Dillashaw was a Dominick Cruz cover band

Taking seriously about that — More like the bigger band stole the smaller band’s act. TJ was always faster and had slightly more power. His high lateral footwork was an effective derivation of Dom’s, but simply borrowing the tactical idea, not the specific weird techniques.
It’s disappointing more fighters haven’t tried something like that out. Would be a bigger shift than calf kicks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

UFC resigned Kevin Lee. Fickle as usual but good for him. Hopefully it's not schedule hell like for Saidyokub.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

China is clearing using PEDs, 100% Zhang Weili is on EVERYTHING. Probably the Leech too.

As I’ve said before, if she’s on stuff, she still passes the tests regularly. One of the more tested athletes in the org. Some national level roadblocks might give her decent heads up, but the stuff still washes out quick.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

If a country with China's expertise and resources decides that you belong in the special programit.

I want that elucidated, cuz it’s not clear if she does get any national level training support.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I keep thinking about Dana forgetting a name that stands out as much as Islam does.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

I think overall it makes a lot of sense if China cares a lot about the Olympics and doesn't care at all about UFC, that aside, Weili spends a lot of her time in Vegas these days doesn't she?

She spends a lot of camp training striking in Thailand. I can't tell what the split is, but she def trains in China with her home team, too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's Weili, btw.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Deleted already :/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FishBowlRobot posted:

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone scurry so quickly to the cage as Volk did when Islam got that takedown out in the open.

He also gave Islam's corner a face, right?

I think this fight really sealed the fact that Islam is simply not Khabib. Khabib played it a lot tighter on the ground, and I think the strength differential would not have allowed the gaps that Islam gave on Volk's defensive wrestling.

Also, on the feet, Islam's striking and defense wasn't enough to let him capitalize on and score much with the size difference. He caught Volk enough to take some of the pressure off, but was doing worse on the feet than on the ground. He was taking bigger chances standing on the way to looking for takedowns.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

It's interesting to me how much of Islam's dominance particularly in terms of ground game decision making depends on Khabib being in the corner screaming concise instructions on what to do next

I don't think that was it. Volk was really strong and slipping away from any kind of control. Islam wasn't one step ahead and simply scrambling to counter every position improvement Volk made.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ilmucche posted:

go pride style with 10-5-5 minute rounds and judge the fight as a whole

Hot take, but 5-5-10 and the ref can declare two man gasout.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Scott Coker: we have yelling from inside back control at home

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Those moves are rare partly cuz they’re really hard to train, imo. Hard to practice the timing and placement in sparring.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

In a complete shock to my worldview, it turns out ONE's hydration testing system is bad, flawed, and extremely easy to trick

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2023/2/...big-names-cheat

Don’t have any reason to disbelieve him — the lack of papers modeling urine density and other more useful measures of hydration seems like a strong argument.

I am curious if he charges for this, though:

quote:

“It’s ridiculously easy. Currently, I am batting 100 percent in getting people to trick the test. I have (a short) instruction thing on my phone that I just copy and paste and send it to them whenever anyone asks me.”

As for why he is willing to share and expose these details now, Barley hopes that revealing its significant flaws just gets the entire system changed.
Even he admits he didn’t have an answer, so at best in his eyes, ONE can just scrap it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

ONE Friday Fights 5 had an inside leg kick finish that was nuts, link here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?cIu39nHxP0o.

Honestly think that's the first time I've seen that. Insane strength.

Edit: Around 1:50:00 if the deep link didn't work.

That embed corrupted. This should work, linked to the opening of that round with some context, but not the two or three solid inside kicks put in at the end of the preceding round:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIu39nHxP0o&t=6631s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Alaois posted:

its both in the text of that tweet and in the lower 3rd of the video, Cesar Alonso

From everything i can tell, Alonso is Spanish.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This dude exercising high amounts of loving around
https://twitter.com/TheArtOfWar6/status/1628040279176388608

Also, what are they not putting in the horses in Denver?!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Not trying to go after you specifically, and maybe some folk react more to a visual thing, but Carl already broke this info down in his card breakdown. We are in the depths of hell, and there is nothing but Contender Series people in all directions.

I think the fact that the fighter names plaques are tagged like that just gives Dana even more Elon energy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

Huh? Who's bandwidth?

I see probes for hotlinking still and am unsure what the rules are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kri kri posted:

I hope Gane just lays on jones for all 5 rounds

He doesn't have the chops to do that to a even a LHW Jones.