Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dan hardy has always been very positive toward fighters except a couple and has largely been a big advocate for fighter safety.

I think the Terry Etim one being referenced is and interesting one because iirc Etim and Hardy had trained in the past together and Etims life was changed irrevocably from that KO that he suffered.

To the point where his brain was that badly damaged he had an episode and ran into traffic and was badly hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lucasar posted:

Apart from the pay and the billing and the likelihood of the winner being parachuted in to a title shot in a weightclass of their choosing, the match-up actually makes sense for both guys. They are at similar points in their careers with similarly unproven records against the top of the current heap, and both are very aggressive fighters so it'll definitely be a good fight. It's just that in terms of divisional relevance it should be a 5 round fight night main event instead of a ppv headliner.

That said, I am hating myself for looking forward to Conor trying to get under Chandler's skin. Something about Chandler's self-serious dweebiness wants me to seem Conor embarrass him at a press conference.

And I'm still surprised they are doing Masvidal/Burns instead of Masvidal/Conor. Masvidal/Conor would make a ton of sense as a WW debut for Conor as Jorge is also an exile from LW who hasn't won in a while. Whereas Burns will probably just beat Masvidal and get nothing for it.
I have to agree. The Ufcs lightweight division right now is arguably the strongest division in the history of the sport. Conor v Chandler is just a great choice of match up for them both. Chandlers record recently is what it is, but to be fair to him he's fought a bit of a murderers row and he never looked bad in any of those fights.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I don’t think Conor was that aggressive in his last fights, and definitely won’t be against someone whose double leg faces little challenge from Conor’s repertoire. He can lay off the roids and start timing knees for the rest of camp.

Conor's always been a counter fighter, he's not going to lead now and while Chandler does have the wrestling chops he has of late been using the threat of his wrestling to create that uncertainty that opens up he leaping hook, overhands and even high kicks.

Chandler does have great accuracy and he pushes back and forth and holds the pace well. It's a fun match up with Conor I don't get how anyone can look at this on paper and not be keen to see it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Watch him fight maybe?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

He throws big looping punches that usually get slipped or blocked

His last three knock outs were virtually one shot knock-outs against a moving defending opponent and he rocked / dropped porier and Olivera both with single shots.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Cain ruled, just absolutely frightening. What he did to JDS is just one of the most unholy beatings any man has ever delivered. He completely changed the course of the man's career. Just stinks his knees were a wreck.

Cains a good example of a guy who's just too tough for his own good. For years he was doing stupid work outs that broke his body but he did it out of toughness.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

When Robbie Lawler is champion the world is ok.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

There is unfortunately absolutely no chance that Volk beats islam.

Volk is quite possibly the best fighter around at taking away what his opponent does best and he for sure fights smart.

Unfortunately for him and potentially his legacy I can see this going one of two ways.

Islam's wrestling is effective and he's able to lay and smash for two rounds before getting an RNC or Volk wins a very contentious decision by taking 3 rounds by a razor thin margin and pushing the pace and lose the remaining 2 by a margin but not quite a 10 8 margin.

I think for all the rightful props that Islam gets for his striking Volk has a significant advantage there, it's just going to depend on how long he can be effective avoiding the take down and scrambles.

Its the most interesting match up I've seen in a long, long time and I honestly have no loving way to pick it other than the above.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freudian slippers posted:

Lyu Xiaojun was one of the biggest names in weightlifting for years. Three times Olympic champion and they only caught him in December. If a country with China's expertise and resources decides that you belong in the special program, it will take more than the UFC's don't ask, don't tell doping program to detect it.

Someone posted during the most recent Olympics about Chinese lifters and China doing genetic testing on their athletes because there's a gene that prevents you from excreting as much or detectable exogenous testosterone or something. I.e there's definitely a state run program where they test what they can get away with.

I remember looking into it at the time and it was backed by some sources and I can't for the life of me remember what the actual science behind it was.

Im not saying Wei Lei is definitely on gear but I think China's always going to have that knock on their athletes because they've been caught so often over the last 30 years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Islam's dead eyed stare like a great white shark as he talks about how he enjoys taking the best fighters in the world apart piece by piece at will is somewhat disconcerting.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Maybe I'm missing some list of statistics, but is it really a case of being caught so often or just some sort of stereotype?

https://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/doping-cases-at-the-olympics/

China: 6
United States: 18
Russia: 133
Spain: 8
Sweden: 5

I think its just one of those things. While china for sure has a state run doping program, it doesn't mean wei-lei would be apart of it, anymore than Khabib or Islam would have been part of one because Russia has been caught so badly. Also the gym in Thailand Wei Lei trained out of is the same one Jiri trained out of that Volk is a part owner of, so I don't think or agree that going to thailand is anything suspicious.

Though yes, you can get roids there pretty easily if you know how.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So I've gone back and I've watched every fight I could find of Islam and Volk over the last night and today and I still have no loving clue how this fights going to go.

I think the odds makers are somewhat correct in that Islam has muuuuch more of a path to victory and Volk seemingly has one - outside of some kind of bizarre flash KO which is always, lighting strike possible.

Firstly.

Makhachev is not a great striker. He's not even what I'd describe as a good striker in terms of combat sports. What he is though, is an effective striker and he's effective at utilizing it to get to what he's good at. His left kick is powerful, doesn't have a lot of set up due to his stance and has been markedly effective at rattling his opponent and freezing them for him to shoot in. He also throws it nicely to the body when his opponent is looking to circle off the cage. He even seems to have the ability to throw it with power and without much effort when he's corralling people to keep them in front of him.

He's extremely tense when he stands in front of his opponent but bizarrely he's still able to explode with accuracy and a quickness you don't often see from the Dagestani camp. It's probably the one thing I actually noticed most in re-watching his fights is that he has a quick-twitch suddenness with his hands and body that I just don't expect him to have. I write this having seen all of his fights in the UFC (at this point at least twice) and even some outside. Its in the same vein as the way Anderson used to dodge punches, or that famous Ali clip where he dodges about 20, no matter how familiar I am with it, when I see it again I still go "gently caress me". Islam has that same X factor with the way he can be so sudden and so accurate and while I don't doubt Volk and his camp - given their thorough approach have noticed it, tt must feel different when you're in there because he catches guys time and time again.

Makhachev also utilises the russian, sweeping hook that Fedor made famous when he's moving and exchanging and while I don't think that's really much of an issue here since Volk is so active and moves so well. I think it will be and has been in the past an effective weapon for moving opponents to the fence or corraling them when they're retreating, Makhachev is also not afraid to wing one when a clinch breaks down and his opponent moves away. His power straight is still just so interesting to watch because he times it so effectively even while I can watch him fight and know its coming.

Which kind of brings me to my next point. He throws very little volume but the little volume he does throw seems to be thrown with, almost reckless, violent intentions. By all means he'll have some pawing exchanges with guys to score and to suck guys in, but he really hosed Olivera up with his left hand throwing single, fast, accurate and powerful shots and when he didn't and instead looked to kick he was either really looking to hurt to the head and body or he was looking to move guys into position so he could shoot, or tie up and throw.

His throws aren't to be underestimated either as I think his ability to sweep guys off their feet in the clinch is something we haven't seen in a long time. He also has a very effective traditional shoot single and double but neither of them are as technically clean than what Khabib used to do, I think given his frame and dogged determination he makes it work quite effectively. Note: I'm not saying here his technique is bad, I'm more saying he's not a 10/10 like Khabib he's more a 7 or 8 but hes just so strong, so well balanced and times it so well he's arguably just as effective.

Volk is at a disadvantage in both of these areas as I feel like against the fence and carrying Makhachev's sizeable frame Volk will really struggle to disengage and if Islam can get under him I don't know if he's strong enough to slip out like he's done against featherweights.

It's not all doom and gloom though because there are one or two holes in his game - at least standing. Firstly he's quite flat footed and rooted when he's looking to get off his strikes. As I said above, he's an effective striker, not necessarily a great one. For starters he doesn't cut angles like he's looking to sythe in, either on his entry or when retreating and with his wrestling based style, that's not really something he's likely to ever (or need to) develop. It is something however that Volk can exploit. He was able to slip and rip quite a bit when facing holloway and either leading or following Volk was able to change angles and still be effectively in his range and deliver with power. Volk also has an uncanny ability to take away what his opponent does well in the striking game and his varied style matches up well against south paws.

He's not afraid to vary his strikes, targets or stance and his familiarity switching between southpaw and orthodox, and his effective combinations in either allow for him to be effectively in and out of an opponents danger area while he's in one of his, even if they're still within range.

Volk is also pretty adept at getting the gently caress out of his opponents range when they're attempting to employ what they're good at. Quite often Holloway would try to goad him and Volk would simply step back and yell something, usually ending in "mate!" or "Brothahhhh!" he also avoided Mendes quite well when they fought the same way - simply giving range and re-setting to try again - something Olivera seemed to fail to do.

Volk also has power that will carry late in rounds and up the weight class, he also has a much more varied arsenal and can overwhelm an opponent.

I feel like overall Islam can win in a variety of ways. He may catch Volk with a high kick, or straight left, either of which would put down most men. He may smother him for two rounds into exhaustion into a submission before the end of the third. He may simply be too long, too fast, too strong, too good. But, if Volk is pin point, if he moves well, if he makes Islam chase him through the first two rounds, even if he loses those rounds but makes Islam gas himself holding him down and we we get into the championship rounds this could get very, very interesting, very quickly.

Now watch Volk guillotine him in 35 seconds and make me look like a clown.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 11, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

if i were a betting man, i'd put my dollar on what's his name, the 155 champ, idk, holding volk down for most of the fight, however long it lasts.

would lover to see volk win though.

Yeah tbh, I thought Makhachev's dominance in that area would be that evident I didn't really break it down.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Volk vs yair suddenly looks pretty fun too

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

reeg posted:

I was surprised that they were promoting Cocaine Bear tonight, I thought he was in hot water for slapping his wife

Huehuehue

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

Javier was there but he doesn't seem to talk much during rounds.

I wonder if its part of the language barrier - Islam speaks pretty good english but I wonder if when you're in the stress of a title fight he doesn't pick up technical instruction super well in his second language and perfers one of his crew give the instructions.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I personally think of it this way Volk won the fight but he lost more rounds.

Its hard for people to reconcile.

I'll rewatch the fight sober because really only rounds 2 and 3 are contentious. 1, 4 and 5 were clear cut.

I dont disagree with Islam being given the win and it's not a robbery or anything, it was just a loving great fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

my boy knows how to get down in a pub fight. scariest 'fight' i've ever been in was when i was doing security at a big music festival and the headliners never showed causing an actual riot. having nowhere to put my back was loving petrifying. i don't remember what happened or how i survived but my boss and mentor at the time credits me for saving him so god only knows what went down.

Yeah I remember being in a huge brawl after a soccer game once and all I remembered after was what people told me had happened and that was during a time that I had been training mma for a few years.

Didn't remember poo poo. Except getting punched because one of my mates tried to grab me and pull me out of the melee but grabbed my arm and I couldn't block someone's punch. Just wore it on the ear of all places.

Getting punched in the ear loving suuuucks.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Hey goons! Good to see punchsports are still alive and well on the SF forums. I learned basically everything I know about MMA watching totally legal streams and reading on these forums. Then college happened, and the UFC watered down their product, and I unplugged

But hey, I bought tickets to see the GOAT, Mighty Mouse, fight in Denver for my first full fledged vacation. Any goons hitting up ONE with me?

P.S. is it cool and acceptable to think DJ is still the best?

Yes it's still cool and good and DJ is still cool and good.

You'll also see Reece McLaren so make sure to cheer for him loudest cause he's my friend and a top loving bloke.

He also needs some pop because one doesn't pay enough and he has a little baby now and so he has to work while trying to maintain a professional standard of training.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am so loving keen for this.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

did they just say the guy in black shorts is 17? god bless muay thai

undercards in stadiums in thailand have kids that are like 10 years old and some of them are better strikers than a good chunk of the UFC division already.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Somebody said Mark Coleman and I had the sudden recollection of the majesty that is roidtech. I missed this place.

Made me want to take a trip to Ikea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Poor Darren Till.