Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just remembered Xarm was a thing and that basically Dana is now a neo Art Davie and that's worth laughing at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We spoke, briefly, about Dan Hardy & Herb Dean getting into it. I found this interview he did about a year ago where he talks about it with Ariel Helwani. He's never been given the full or clear reason why he was released following that issue with the UFC staffer backstage and says he worked with her for 10 years both as a fighter and broadcast person. He seems to have the impression it was the Herb situation more than that, given a lot of the details he heard reported were wildly off base both about the UFC staffer and the Herb thing. Eg. he was told he approached Herb after the fight when, in reality, it was Herb who approached him. As in, Herb left the cage and went over to where Hardy was doing his broadcast work at to confront him. Anyway, the point is he thinks (probably correctly?) that Dana had bad info and made a decision and nobody wanted to correct him. Also his MMA media coverage team, Team Raptor MMA?, were de-credentialed and put on the poo poo list by UFC PR at the same time Hardy left for no real reason since they had nothing to do with it.

Here he is breaking down the Herb situation (timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewVd8loIgY&t=1290s

Basically: Dan accepts he was wrong to have shouted (on broadcast) at Herb Dean. However he also thinks he had a fair point to make and just chose the wrong time to voice that point and should've waited til off the air.

He argues that Jai Herbert was very clearly concussed as he was in the "fencing position" (idk what specifically that means but can sorta guess what it is) and says a bunch of referees don't know that's a pretty clear way to know who is or isn't out on their feet.

After the fight was called, Dan was getting up to quickly set up for the social distancing interviews they were doing at the time. Hardy, seeing this, turns to face him because...well...according to Hardy "why would I turn my back on someone coming directly at me at a pace?" Hardy takes his headset off, mutes the mic so its not picked up on the broadcast, and when he gets there Herb says (to the best of Hardy's recollection) something about "did you shout something at me?" and they have their back and forth. Hardy says he pointed out that was the 2nd time that night Herb let a fighter keep fighting in a dangerous situation with regards to being concussed/out on their feet.

After the event, one of the UFC producers from the truck shows up to scream at Hardy for going over to Herb, yes that's what they believed he did, and screaming at Herb. Hardy explains that's not how it happened. Later someone within the UFC said to "just turn your back to him" (both good and not good advice depending on the "pace" Herb was walking at Hardy with). Hardy mentions the same issue he saw that night at UFC Fight Island also happened with the, then, recent Ortega fight.

After this story he talks about the altercation that, ultimately, immediately preceded his firing from the UFC starting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewVd8loIgY&t=1667s

This is going to be brief because I hosed up and accidentally deleted like three more paragraphs.

When he got back to the next Fight Island, Hardy had some media interviews and the first question he was asked was about the Herb thing. Hardy stands up for what he felt was right and moves on. The next round of media interview stuff is scheduled and Hardy has significantly fewer interviews. After the Holloway/Kattar event he is in the hotel lobby the next day and was doing some stuff with the BT Sport people. The person he ultimately got into an argument with came over and checked on things as they are a member of the PR team.

Apparently it made its way to Hardy that, as part of the buildup for MacGregor/Poirier 2 the next weekend on Fight Island, BBC Radio had requested an interview with Hardy but that request never made its way to him. He brought it up and the other lack of media interviews he was not being scheduled for (the number was supposedly significantly fewer than Anik, Sanko, Gooden etc.) and did so in front of the people from BT Sport etc. This, according to Hardy, is probably what did him in as he thinks she (again as a PR person) was probably embarrassed in front of people she works with. Hardy goes off to do 6 to 7 more hours for the Wednesday night card (i can't remember which one it was) and then when he gets back to the hotel he got told he was being sent home. He then had a 6 minute conversation with UFC's HR department, then two weeks later was fired. No one would reply to his questions/emails for clarification.

He, much like the Herb thing, thinks "yes it was a dumb time and place to discuss that issue and yes I should have waited, but also I think my point was valid and worth bringing up." He claims he apologized to her via several channels and never heard anything back.

There you go. A recap of the most pointless of drama.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 2, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think it's more that the UK is loving braindead.

We could have told you that given they still have a monarchy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And for saying, "needless head trauma is bad!"

Now, let's return to the Dana White Power Slap League.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

It's when you're arms tense up, usually directly out in front of you upon incurring serious head trauma that knocks you out

Not in-lining since they can be hard to watch- first is nfl from a few months ago, second is the edson barboza wheel kick we all know

https://youtu.be/QwyNhC3BjTM

https://youtu.be/4ZRvAif8-mk

Yeah I get the idea and know why/how it happens etc., but the term "fencing position" is new to me.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Sexy-yama Update from the comfort of my bed:

I, too, would pay to watch this on TV

Be-shirted Sexy-yama, fighting in his penultimate form

:same:

Giving the crowd what it craves

Pantastic body engaged

Apparently in Episode 4 the female national freestyle wrestler just manhandles one of the male contestants by grappling him to death.

Also Sherdog put out this article about being on the road with Fedor for different events etc. and this stood out

https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Stories-from-the-Road-Fedor-Emelianenko-189067

quote:

I remember on a chartered bus ride from Kansas City, where M-1 Global was doing an [M-1] Challenge show, to St. Louis, when Gegard Mousasi fell asleep for a nap in his bus seat. Fedor grabbed the seat from behind and shook it as hard as he could. When Gegard woke up startled and looked behind him, Fedor said, “turbulence.”

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 3, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I said this on the discord but the UFC pulling that fight card from Korea is bonkers. Even if they didn't have TKZ on the card, the rest of the people there are, relatively, decently known in the MMA/combat sports sphere on Korean TV.

Also I think Da Un Jung could have, probably(?), headlined the card if they wanted a Korean national to do it. He has enough KOs and wins that, why not toss him in the main event on a relatively "nobody cares about it" Fight Night? Like his KO of Rodriguez in Busan was, having been there live, a huge moment and people loved him for it. He's also an oddity within East Asian MMA given he's 6'4 and a LHW and also has a winning record in the UFC.

IDK, they could've put a quick highlight reel of him and maybe paired him with a different guy and it would've been a decent card. And by another guy I mean someone who, if you want international appeal outside of Asia, is on the downwards slope of their career. Eg, Jimmy Crute who is coming off two losses and is 12-3 in his own career. Also given Jimmy is ranked top 15 (lol rankings don't matter), it would've been a good test for Jung or shown that Crute is still a capable fighter.

We've said it a bunch over the past few years but UFC really sucks at promoting their own sport. :shrug:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was like....old school Pancrase slaps and very, very , kicks to the lower leg. I can't recall any strikes to the head at all.

It was mostly a very light sparring kind of thing when it came to striking, but the grappling was actually grappling.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a very bulky/well built prison guard who was matched with a wrestler on the national team, and the wrestler just kept suplexing the prison guard and in his interview the prison guard was like "I'm a large person and I never imagined I could be lifted up like that."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here are some more combat sports adjacent gifs from the show (which you should all really watch just cuz its pretty fun in general).

First up is a guy from the Korean national rugby team (if you know rugby you know that Korea is NOT a good team) just casually picking up a fairly large woman who is a ssierum wrestler (aka Korean folk-style wrestling sort of similar to sumo).

https://i.imgur.com/AtQKD9Q.mp4

Just picks her up.

Here is the aforementioned prison guard versus the korean wrestler (guy with the beard). The didn't speak to each other and both being large boys this line is pretty apt for how they approached each other.

https://i.imgur.com/w3Ed2uT.mp4

And here is the suplex against the guard.

https://i.imgur.com/R1cUDGJ.mp4

The girl going "GOOD ONE!" is also on the national wrestling team.

Here is her reaction as a standalone gif because I thought it was funny.

https://i.imgur.com/lO9oprY.mp4

Here she is basically piledrivering a Sgt. 1st Class in the Korean military special forces reserve unit. I think she is a UDT, aka Navy SEAL, but I'm not sure how they have that and are a reservist.

https://i.imgur.com/Pachw6j.mp4

Here's the MMA rules fight Sexyama was in.

https://i.imgur.com/z95lY02.mp4

You can see they're not really going to KO or hurt each other but still....sparring?

There's a open palmed slap Sexyama did that made the guy wince later on.

This was the crowd's reaction.

https://i.imgur.com/w67kTDw.mp4

Here's Sexyama taking off his shirt for the crowd.

https://i.imgur.com/ELXmRzE.mp4

Here is one last gif because I just found her reaction funny. She is the non-world champion boxer who beat the world champion boxer in their match on the show.

Again...this is a random show on Netflix and is so loving fun/stupid and they've only put out 4 episodes so far and its like 3 episodes of just this sort of competition.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 3, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's Kkang Mi, the dorky reservist special forces sergeant that loves to sound off and salute at every possible occasion. She did a "combat roll" out of the gate in her match and followed it up with some form of tiger-stance and a scream to intimidate her opponent Jang Eun-sil, an olympic wrestler.
Her strategy for the match was to "secure" the ball in a couple of tires before getting single-legged and ragdolled around the arena.

If that's not a selling-point for the show next to Sexyama, I don't know what is.

You're right. She and the boxer (can't recall the name off hand) have a vaguely similar hair style and color.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1622027179600056320

I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. Kim Ji-Yeon is literally cursed.

Several bad decisions that arguably should've gone her way. Several injuries. And just....this...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That has to be a troll post right?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

He needs to go do whatever handsome korean tough boys do instead of MMA.

Having seen what those sorts of guys try to get away with firsthand, I would not recommend anyone go do that. Hint: it's akin to roofieing a girl, but instead of roofies it's just forcing them to drink copious amounts of liquor

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ben Fowlkes has a very good point here.

https://twitter.com/benfowlkesMMA/status/1623164247256748034

efb

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 8, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also this was posted by Saidyokub

https://twitter.com/SaidYokubMMA/status/1623208151142252544

That loss was to Said Nurmagomedov

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The rankings are such poo poo and nothing will ever be done to fix them because this is exactly the way the UFC want them to be.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I've been stupidly using twitter a lot more lately for ~reasons~ and I decided to see what UFC is doing to promote this potentially huge card because Dana said its being promoted more than ever etc. in response to Islam complaining.

This is just using the @UFC twitter page and not counting anything unrelated to the PPV and Power Slap because the amount of hype the UFC twitter account for the two is...well...here's the breakdowns for this week's worth of posts because its loving fight week:

(keep in mind at the time of writing its mid afternoon on February 9th.

UFC 284

Standard Poster (2/7)
Video Clip (2/7)
Makhachev Analysis Clip (2/7)
UFC Countdown clip (2/7)
Volk Clip (2/7)
RT of @UFCNews (2/7)
RT of @UFC_AUSNZ (2/7)
Super Fight Week Clip (2/7)
Makhachev clip (2/7)
Makhachev embedded clip (2/7)
Emmet/Yair Countdown clip (2/8)
Makhachev highlight (2/8)
Tyson Pedro clip for Fight Pass doc (2/8)
UFC Embedded 2 clip (2/8)
Special Poster (2/8)
P4P Clip (2/9)
Poster signing clip (2/9)

White Power Slap

1 RT from White Power Slap Twitter (2/6)
1 RT from White Power Slap Twitter (2/7)
1 RT from White Power Slap Twitter (2/8)
1 pinned hype post for next episode of White Power Slap (2/8)
1 RT from White Power Slap Twitter (2/9)
1 RT from White Power Slap Twitter (2/9)
1 White Power Slap Behind The Match promo post (2/9)

So that's 17 posts for UFC 284, and 9 posts for White Power Slap on just the UFC twitter account alone. I didn't check @UFCNews or any of the affiliated twitter accounts because more people follow @UFC. White Power Slap is getting roughly half the promotional posts on the official UFC twitter page as the PPV is, but is getting more glamorous clips/shots as part of it. The shots of Volk/Islam by comparison are like just them hanging out doing things on the side and barely any fight footage.

You should also note that the pinned tweet for the account is a promotional photo for Power Slap and not..say...the PPV that is just a few days away.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To add to the UFC Twitter thing, I've seen more ads for the PPV on Korean TV and on Instagram from the Korean UFC account than anything from the main UFC accounts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“They Are Attacking Me”: UFC President Dana White Opens Up on Huge Backlash in Past Months

https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-mma-news-they-are-attacking-me-ufc-president-dana-white-opens-up-on-huge-backlash-in-past-months/

quote:

Hence, White believes that he is the wrong guy for the media to attack, since he has been in the fighting industry for more than two decades. He also mentioned that the New Year’s eve incident with his wife had also added to the turmoil. White said, “When you look at the attacks that happened over the last three weeks on Power Slap, they are not attacking them, they are attacking me.”

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just lol at the bald red-faced HGH obsessed man baby.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mewse posted:

boo hoo i slapped my wife around and didn’t face any consequences

His consequences are he has to live with it for the rest of his life. But also that it's not fair people are "attacking" him for doing that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.reddit.com/r/thefighterandthekid/comments/110m2gb/trigger_warning_its_the_bgl_ama/

So turns out one of Schaub's podcast producers or whatever nicknamed BGL (Big Gay Lion) had a falling out and did an AMA on Reddit and um...some interesting stuff was revealed.

quote:

Q - Do people show Brendan the memes that get made about him on here? Has he ever legitimately cried after watching any Changs content?

BGL - No he’s legitimately highly sensitive about almost anything negative. If you did send it to him because you didn’t know better, he would be passive aggressive or say something about how he doesn’t pay attention to that stuff cuz it’s all losers he’s better than. He just doesn’t court any sort of criticism constructive or not. Bbbbeast of a professional

quote:

Q - Can you elaborate on the lying about money thing?

BGL - Yes

- 1) he took me off thicccboy payroll one of three sources I was paid from (thiccc, TGH, TFATK) reducing my monthly pay by over $1000 without telling me, but also reprimanded me then later fired me for (in part)not showing up to work on schaub Show which is part of thiccc.

2) various times promised certain independent contract pay like happy hippo ad reads for $1000 a month then later say oooooooh I meant thst was for you and shapel combined so it’s actually $500 a month I mean I don’t even make $1000 a month from happy hippo ad reads (huh?) (also luckily found written proof that contradicts the this reframing)

3) promised 3k tiger thiccc pay a month then later his manager called when I invoiced it and was like ohhhhhh yeah that’s for you AND Jay (who wasn’t really doing much at all for the socials and also $1500 was NEVER mentioned) so there’s a few more but it’s just weird. Also he claimed it was my job to do security for him on the road but did not pay me for the roughly 50 hours a weekend minimum where technically I was on the job. I got no extra money for being on the road but mocks how lovely I am at my “security job” in his act (mark does my security but he’s always on his phone so if you wanna murder me nows your chance!) (you know who’s always on his phone except when he needs narcissistic supply from others around him? BRENDAN. He’s literally jealous of peoples PHONES)

quote:

Q - Can you elaborate on what happened to Tank (a dog Brendan got)

BGL - He gave it back to the breeder- his wife had said ahead of time DONT do this im dead serious don’t bring another huge dog home. She was NOT happy. He was about to surprise her and tiger spilled the beans because he wasn’t getting ready for BJJ class and mom was like why aren’t you getting ready? And he said dad said I can’t but I can’t say why. Brendan actually had the nerve to blame his kid for ruining his little setup “Fuckin tiger blew it goddamnit” I was like dude take some OWNERSHIP FOR FUCKS SAKE

quote:

He’s a covert narcissist - I’d say he’s very scared of confrontation in person and love bombs people with gifts so he seems really nice and might even apologize for specific rear end in a top hat incidents when you first becomes friends. Over time - he’s hostile af in most text exchanges and is very entitled to you getting him stuff “I need dick juice (Cialis)” “I need primo” and each of these cost me $60+ a bottle and he’d ask rudely and not offer to pay and stiff me on poo poo he said he’d pay

There's more, with an allegation of Schaub using this guy to get access to roids etc. but having to parse through it all is a bit of a chore.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 13, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/danthehangman/status/1625114027235094528

Also Jack is 100% right here

https://twitter.com/JackSlackMMA/status/1625121266960138240

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

but iirc islam landed more on the feet so i think he takes the round anyway.

Per all the stats I've been seeing thrown around, Volk landed more.

This is, more or less, the same stats as what I've seen albeit in different visuals.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 14, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder you should all support, now former, Blood Elbow resident artist Chris Rini because he makes cool artwork around this dumb sport.

Here's his latest YouTube video on his art stuff for his yearly book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSvbxB28VbA

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Follow up to the Dan Hooker tweet about Islam using an IV after weighing in.

https://twitter.com/JeffNovitzkyUFC/status/1626008994304372737

https://twitter.com/JeffNovitzkyUFC/status/1626008995994681345

https://twitter.com/JeffNovitzkyUFC/status/1626008998150389760

https://twitter.com/JeffNovitzkyUFC/status/1626008999866011649

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
100% you should all be watching, at minimu, the ONE Muay Thai stuff because its pretty good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

A Brazilian called out Krav Maga as trash and fought two Krav Maga fighters at the same time to prove it.

https://twitter.com/infymma/status/1626680397688983561?s=46&t=0v57lFJymrg5jX7cAi_DGw

Clearly they were at a disadvantage. Their ability to call a drone strike on Palestinian kids was hampered by the cage.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A quote that will never not be funny.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Carlisle posted:

Yeah there was this perfect storm of a bunch of his former coworkers or podcast guests realizing together he made advances on all of them so they started sharing stories - then someone that used to work on his show started putting other stories out there like how he's a habitual sink pisser, has to use 'dick juice' to get hard, etc

he's basically a never ending well of self owns and creep moves

he also threatened bobby lee over bobby lee's gf/partner at the time not explicitly naming schaub but vaguely referring to him as trying to hit on her on her own podcast and the other guests (all female comics) also said the same stuff. which then blew up more etc.

go figure the guy begging fans for cialis hook ups while on tour is a shitbird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clearly UFCs goal is to have more than 50% of the roster on the DWTNCS 10/10 contracts which are I wanna say 4, maybe 5, fights long?

From a business management side, yeah that makes sense but from a "we are the premiere MMA league" it's very Lmao and I will never not laugh at it.