Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Really hardy got fired for having a brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dan Hardy to AEW when ?????? They have rom for a Hardy and being straight edge would be a bonus

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The fencing position is when your arms go all stiff and out.

Maybe not the most textbook example but an easily remembered one would be Terry Etim being murdered

Yeah that's the stiff KO. I've also seen it, less frequently, applied to when people turn their head down and away and mummy-arm toward the opponent when they're really battered on their feet, which I think was what was happening in that Jai Herbert fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah there are all kinds of different wrap/tape styles. Fighters who want to punch tend to put more on the hands and knuckles; fighters who want to grabble tend to put less.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chandler is a fighter who is very different after the first 6 or so minutes of a fight. He's an extremely powerful and aggressive puncher with deceptively sharp footwork at the beginning but once that initial round-and-a-bit rush wears off he starts throwing single shots and rubbing his face on his opponent's crush and trying to sit in the guard as long as he can to get a rest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COPE 27 posted:

I can't see an average anywhere, top 10 is 56 - 60 though.

sounds like the numbers are hosed because in elite boxing matches the accuracy percentage is way lower than that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So for the superboy fight

-Commentary was really partisan for Choi
-Nelson had 2 minutes of back control in the first and a knockdown in the second and either of those rounds could plausibly scored for him
-The headbutt deserved the point deduction.
-Dana doesn't care who won, he's just grandstanding because he thinks he can still sell Choi to the Korean audience and he needs an excuse to keep around a fighter who is winless in nearly 7 years and 4 fights.

And it doesn't matter if you think he should have won, his days as a realistic contender are over even if he got the KO at 3-4:59 because of the amount of trouble he had with Kyle Nelson, sad to say. He needs to go do whatever handsome korean tough boys do instead of MMA.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Fun to read the general internet copium about Fedor having even half a chance despite him not having a good fight in nearly a decade and a half.

I figured he had a chance not because he's good but because Bader is bad and chinny.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's a discussion topic that all of this brings to mind: at what date was the slate of UFC champions at its best

A couple of rules just to establish criteria:

1) No hindsight. You can pick whatever date you want, but you're only allowed to judge the fighters by things that happened before that date. You can choose whatever you want from the past relative to your date in question. If you looked at Rousey as less when her bad shadow boxing vids came out? Cool - that's fine.

2) Only positive measures. Nicco Montano may have been a nothingburger champ, but weigh things on the assumption that adding her to the champs was at worst, value-neutral (and frankly, I knew some people who were hype for her irl). Of course, no number of Nicco Monanos or Germaine de Randamies are worth a GSP.

Other than that, the main criteria should be competitive excellence and how hype you were to watch them fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shumagorath posted:

Anderson, GSP, Penn and Aldo overlapped, right? Even if I’m wrong and you have scratch Penn, that’s my clear winner without having to account for anyone else.

They did! But Anderson, GSP, Aldo, overlapped with Jon Jones and Cain.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

Was Cain overrated?

I don't think so, but he was inconsistent because of injury . Imo the version of Cain that murdered nog, Brock, JDS, and bigfoot is one of the scariest fighters ever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

The 2011 roster is almost certainly the canonically correct answer, but I think there's a surprisingly good argument to be made for mid-2019. Stipe Miocic, Jon Jones, Robert Whittaker, Kamaru Usman, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Max Holloway, Henry Cejudo, Henry Cejudo, Amanda Nunes, Amanda Nunes, Valentina Shevchenko, Zhang Weili.

(honorable mention, mid-2017: Stipe Miocic, Jon Jones (or Daniel Cormier if you don't count that stricken-from-the-record reign), your choice of Robert Whittaker or GSP which is a fight I'm still mad we never got, pre-crisis Tyron Woodley, Conor McGregor at the height of his power, Max Holloway, TJ Dillashaw, Demetrious Johnson, Cris Cyborg, Amanda Nunes, but then you hit the skids with Nicco Montaño and try to recover with Rose Namajunas.)

Yeah I was rolling both of these eras around too - particularly the ones including Max.

I kinda feel like the worst beatdown ever put on anyone in the UFC was Cain-Bigfoot 1. Whenever I watch that match it reminds me of an illustration in a comic book I had when I was a kid wherein someone got stepped on by a dinosaur and was reduced to a splatter with a ribcage sticking out. A lot of the conversation surrounding Cain is that "what if" which is partly why I excluded hindsight from the discussion - so much of what drives the hype for a fighter is looking at what has passed and imagining what comes next. I definitely felt at a certain point that it would be a loving crime to book someone, anyone, to fight Cain. Werdum? Vs Cain? The guy who got KOed by JDS in his UFC debut when he was a massive favourite? That guy who, sure, he beat Fedor, but who cares? Booking him against Cain? That's gonna be sad as poo poo. I can't imagine Cain losing that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Volk is gonna kick Islam's leg off

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I scored the fight as a split decision:smugdog:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This was a fight that in places really managed to grind into some of the subjective logical seams in the scoring criteria. In some ways the argument is like "back control is threatening the sub" but idk I feel that's true in the same way that backing someone into the fence threatens a punch - yes, it's true, but it doesn't mean poo poo if nobody throws the punch. And technically, in the rules as written, position is only supposed to count if offensive damage is even. There is, however, no guideline for what "damage" is from a grappling perspective or honestly, what "damage" means at all. Anyone who has experienced it knows that there's grappling "damage" - a takedown hurts, a shoulder of justice hurts, a good mount hurts, and... a body triangle hurts. Or at least these things can hurt when applied to that end. The scoring of the fight comes down to whether or not Islam's grappling and/or Volk's over the shoulder boinks count as "damage" in the mind of a given judge.

So as much as I hate to quote him anywhere, this is where Dana's "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" comes into play. There will always be a space or gap in the rules where the judge has to make a subjective call. The judges made their call.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know a guy who is the head bouncer at a nightclub and the single most dangerous thing for his staff is when the meatheads who work for him all dogpile into a scrap. They end up hurting each other or causing stuff like ^^^ to happen or just trip and fall.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

gently caress bouncing. terrible job. if it wasn't 2008 i'd have worked nearly anything else.

Yeah he has the same vibe about him when discussing his job as the veteran ER nurses I know do when talking about theirs. It's like "oh well why did you go and do that, dummy? Well ok I guess now I have to fix it..." He and I have talked about putting together a training program for security staff there (we both know fight sports, he knows bouncing, and I know how to design and deliver a course) but he can't get his boss on board for it, even though it would probably pay for itself in like a week.

So 3/4 of his bouncing stories are like "the meatheads did it again and then when everyone stopped thrashing around I picked the guy up from the pile, threw him out the door, and told him he was banned, then it turned out that one of our staff broke his wrist in the fall so we're even more short staffed again."

(the course would be remedial stuff like "when an incident happens and you're arriving as the third+ guy, instead of jumping in and creating chaos, get bystanders back and keep an eye out for weapons" or "did you know that it's actually assault to mount and repeatedly punch someone in the head even if you're a bouncer and the guy took a swing at you?")

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hopefully my last post re: the bouncing -

my bud is a brown belt, and sometimes those guys come train with him, but he's worried about getting the wrong amount of BJJ into the meathead culture and it killing someone because of how bad they are already. If there are lots of 1-stripe white belts in the group you have people who barely know how to choke and they're working alongside people who don't know how to choke, so the one-eyed men are teaching the blind. It's just easier and definitely safer for him to say "if you strangle anyone you're fired." He has only ever strangled someone once in all of his years of doing the job. I'm pretty sure if we trained these guys the actual techniques we'd drill would be escapes, standups, standing seatbelt control and side control. They don't actually need submissions to do their job.

That's one small part of my problem with the whole "teach cops bjj" - think about the percentage of people who stick with bjj, and then think about how little the people who quit know. But that little bit can still be lethal: that's worse than having them not know it at all.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Khusein Askhabov's record has a ton of red flags on it that suggest fraud or deliberate padding - pretty much all of the possible red flags, in fact.

Now one of my rules when assessing a Russian record is to treat hte first third of the record as being the equivalent to amateur fights elsewhere, but his is just a loving mess. One of the more notable things is how much of his record comes from "grand european fighting championship" vs fighters with 0-0 or no record at all. Add that he's from Grozny and his tapology picture seems to be in someone's palace....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

real men take boner pills

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm ready for Nate Marquardt tweets to get moved to the dumb people thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Very lightly in Diego's defense I did observe that trout's sweat was beading really strangely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Diego would not have won