Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The first level kinda sucks because it’s just one tutorial after another and it drags down the pacing. The next two levels have tutorials and new mechanics too but it’s like one or two each.

Do wish the music during the levels themselves was better. The droning 4 4 beat and guitar/drum chugging kinda wears on me when each level is an hour-ish.

Also it would be nice if the levels had more combat and less awkward platforming and running around.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The stages are only long when you're going through the game for first couple times to find all the secrets. Once you're just following the main path for high scores you can beat them all in under 15 minutes.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I found the combat so weird and new that I appreciated going through each part of it piece by piece, and I think there was enough attention paid to making sure they weren't totally boring. I don't really know if there was a better way to do it.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/papstuko/status/1622007117120155648?s=46&t=8f63FxoiGo-x8Bm4Hb0yEw

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The laser grid chase is a gnat's hair off from ruining this whole game for me.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

ConanThe3rd posted:

The laser grid chase is a gnat's hair off from ruining this whole game for me.

It needs just a little more startup time and I don't think it'd be that bad. It doesn't move terribly fast so once you're moving along it's not too bad, but missing the input on that first punch block is pretty much an instant continue.

I wouldn't be offended if it were removed though. It really didn't add anything outside of checking the genre savvy "We need an instant kill chase sequence" box.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Starting from the 4th boss on (Mimosa) a certain special attack will trigger some hidden dialogues. It's a cute touch.

"You think that would work on me? I'm a DOG person!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I just tried that on Roquefort this morning. I don't know if it actually did anything, but moral victory achieved.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Mimosa's streamer mode song is SO good; I thought streamer mode was just going to be low budget imitations of copyrighted music, but now I gotta go check the other boss tracks to see if they're this good, too.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 8, 2023

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Just beat my first playthrough, and drat it was a blast. The licensed songs they used were point. I thought my favorite song would have either been Rekka's or Mimosa's themes, but it turned out to be Track 11's song. Very emotional and climatic.

I did have a few rough moments playing this game. Battles were busy visually, so i missed a lot of parryable attacks. And having 3 different color coded shields to break did slow down combat a lot. It wouldn't have been bad if Macaron had range to his attacks.

Those moments and the platforming sections really show how this was Tango Gameworks first foray into beat em up/character action games. Quite a few rough edges. But i am looking past those flaws because Hi Fi Rush is one of the most charming and colorful games i have played in a long while. I thought i would be irritated by Chai's antics, but like everyone else on his team, i came to love this loving idiot. Good game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I still don't think a single song had me as hype as that (1st boss) Nine Inch Nails needle drop but chapter 11 did come close.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The Roquefort boss fight might be one of my favorite boss fights of all time. Flows and moves so well, and the music is great.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I can't play this but I have watched it streamed and it is incredible

Streamer mode soundtrack is great, but where/what do I search if I want to hear/watch the real deal?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

postmodifier posted:

I can't play this but I have watched it streamed and it is incredible

Streamer mode soundtrack is great, but where/what do I search if I want to hear/watch the real deal?

Not sure about the entire game, but if you look for "streamer mode off" on YouTube all the boss fights are up by different uploaders.

Or did you literally just want to hear the songs?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Just finished this game last night, I think I did the Roquefort fight through to the end in one big chunk after doing the Mimosa part earlier in the day. Makes me happy to see people saying Track 11 was their highlight because the Joy Formidable song was the one I was most excited to hear in the game. I had seen their name in the list of licensed tracks but completely didn't expect that it'd be the one of theirs that I was obsessed with when it came out twelve years ago and probably haven't heard more than one or two times since. Made for a really exciting moment, with everybody jumping in to help out while such a fuckin good song played.

I have to say I never felt like I was really playing this game well, but I didn't think about ditching it for a moment. I was constantly taking damage during fights because the idea of trying to nail the timing on combos while somehow also parrying is completely beyond me, and it's not for my lack of rhythm. Really feels like too much is happening in battles for me to pay enough attention to any one element in particular, let alone several at once. More broadly, I kinda struggled with timing up until the last quarter of the game. I'm a competent musician IRL and have in the past struggled with stuff like Rock Band so maybe I just have a hard time with rhythm games in general, but it didn't really ever stop being awkward. Landing a Jam Combo or one of the flashier specials felt great though.

The writing was also juuust barely on the good side of the mugging-at-the-camera, "wow you sound just like a videogame character right now" kind of annoyingly ironic type poo poo for me, but still made me smile several times. Great voice acting and a fun cast of characters.

Overall I feel like I have more negative things to say than positive but I'm still somehow looking forward to going through NG+ and finding all the hidden stuff. It's a good game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

prayer group posted:

The writing was also juuust barely on the good side of the mugging-at-the-camera, "wow you sound just like a videogame character right now" kind of annoyingly ironic type poo poo for me, but still made me smile several times. Great voice acting and a fun cast of characters.

I felt like it was a lot more forgivable in this game than others because the characters were great and the game was extremely solid. It's mostly annoying in lovely games because you're getting annoyed along with the characters pointing out the annoying poo poo and wondering "why the gently caress am I playing this?" It's what got me to stop playing High on Life like an hour in.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Professor Beetus posted:

I felt like it was a lot more forgivable in this game than others because the characters were great and the game was extremely solid. It's mostly annoying in lovely games because you're getting annoyed along with the characters pointing out the annoying poo poo and wondering "why the gently caress am I playing this?" It's what got me to stop playing High on Life like an hour in.

Yeah, what made it acceptable and even fun to me was how genuine the rest of the game was. To me it was just a bit of a misstep in tone, not as much of a broadly dismissive attitude toward the medium in general like in High on Life.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Had a few busy days so I couldn't give the game much time, but I put in a solid evening last night. One thing that really stood out to me - normally with games like this, I mash through the cutscenes to get back to the action as quickly as possible. But here I sit through everything, just because the cutscenes are so, so good. It's not even the story, just the characters and the comedy. I loved the slapstick of Chai carrying Korsica to safety.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Skios posted:

Had a few busy days so I couldn't give the game much time, but I put in a solid evening last night. One thing that really stood out to me - normally with games like this, I mash through the cutscenes to get back to the action as quickly as possible. But here I sit through everything, just because the cutscenes are so, so good. It's not even the story, just the characters and the comedy. I loved the slapstick of Chai carrying Korsica to safety.

Oh God that part made me physically wince, the animation was so good that I practically felt that in my head.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The game wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself, but never did it super "ironically". The humor was very silly and the game embraced the absurdity of it all.

One of my favorite running gags was whenever you quit the game in between stages during the plot when Chai doesn't go back to the hideout, and everyone else's reactions range from "Uh, how are you here?" to "Just don't think about this." And then it tops itself when Peppermint says, "We'll just retcon this so you teleport back to base," and Chai points out that she already said that wasn't possible in a previous optional conversation. It's a stupid joke, but it is funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked the running joke where everyone is stressed out because one of the robot workers sabotaged the coffee machines to only serve decaf.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Where is Hi-Fi Rush 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A sequel where all four main characters are playable and each plays a different instrument in a freedom fighting rock band.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

exquisite tea posted:

A sequel where all four main characters are playable and each plays a different instrument in a freedom fighting rock band.

How quickly CNMN's contributions are tossed aside.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Someone's gotta book the shows.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

DemoneeHo posted:

One of my favorite running gags was whenever you quit the game in between stages during the plot when Chai doesn't go back to the hideout, and everyone else's reactions range from "Uh, how are you here?" to "Just don't think about this." And then it tops itself when Peppermint says, "We'll just retcon this so you teleport back to base," and Chai points out that she already said that wasn't possible in a previous optional conversation. It's a stupid joke, but it is funny.
Holy poo poo this is amazing and I had no idea, when I can’t get through a whole level or two in one sitting, I’ve been pausing the game and just leaving it on suspend on Xbox because I wasn’t sure about how the game would save since you aren’t at the hideout. Kinda dumb of me since every game now auto saves, but I’ll need to try this out next time I play!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

For whatever reason the parrying system is killing me. I'm not having trouble being on beat otherwise, but somehow I just can't get the parrying down, which sucks since shortly after you get parries there's a bunch of enemies that are clearly designed to either teach you to make multiple parries in a row or get loving annihilated.

So I'm just getting annihilated over and over.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I find that it helps to sound out the little lightning bolt sequence while you're parrying along in rhythm. Pretty soon you'll internalize the pattern for each machine. DUN DUN DUN, da DUN!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

exquisite tea posted:

I find that it helps to sound out the little lightning bolt sequence while you're parrying along in rhythm. Pretty soon you'll internalize the pattern for each machine. DUN DUN DUN, da DUN!

The lightning bolt machines are fine, I'm having trouble with the huge guys with swords who basically seem to just do very long strings of fast slashes that need to be parried, because they're Batman sliding after my rear end no matter how fast I dodge.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

prayer group posted:

Just finished this game last night, I think I did the Roquefort fight through to the end in one big chunk after doing the Mimosa part earlier in the day. Makes me happy to see people saying Track 11 was their highlight because the Joy Formidable song was the one I was most excited to hear in the game. I had seen their name in the list of licensed tracks but completely didn't expect that it'd be the one of theirs that I was obsessed with when it came out twelve years ago and probably haven't heard more than one or two times since. Made for a really exciting moment, with everybody jumping in to help out while such a fuckin good song played.

I love whirring, and when I saw they were in the game my immediate thought was "did they ever have a 2nd single?" And nope apparently not.

Also it's heavily sampled to good effect in Lonely Island's YOLO, which is also over a decade old.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

The game wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself, but never did it super "ironically". The humor was very silly and the game embraced the absurdity of it all.

My favorite is that if you quit the game after the cutscenes where you meet the big guy and robot, everyone explains it to Chai matter-of-factly in the hideout/continue game area.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rhythm Master S-Ranked! Also wrapped up all the Spectra challenges for the hidden epilogue this morning. I'm pretty close to finishing my mural now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

exquisite tea posted:

Rhythm Master S-Ranked! Also wrapped up all the Spectra challenges for the hidden epilogue this morning. I'm pretty close to finishing my mural now.

awesome job

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Congrats, which chips did you use?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Level 3 batteries and Level 2 rhythm meter were the strongest combination I found by far, although I’m sure you could use others. Hibiki was my mega damage special with some occasional swapping to 808 Gigawatt Cat Attack to cheese sections with only a few enemies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

prayer group posted:

I'm a competent musician IRL and have in the past struggled with stuff like Rock Band so maybe I just have a hard time with rhythm games in general, but it didn't really ever stop being awkward.

I've had the same issue with games like Rock Band (I play cello and piano, though I'm much better at the former than the latter). My best guess as to why is that, when playing an actual instrument, there's a more direct link between my actions and the sound, while there's this weird layer of separation in rhythm games (since the music/rhythm is playing on its own, and you're just hitting buttons to try and match it). If you get off-rhythm in a rhythm game, the music keeps playing on its own so it can cascade into a bigger mistake and becomes harder to "re-join" the rhythm. But when playing an actual instrument you have direct control and can adjust more easily on the fly.

It reminds me of this one driver's ed course I took in high school, where they played a video of a car driving and we had to use a fake steering wheel/pedals while trying to match the video (which ironically ended up being significantly harder than actually driving).

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Ytlaya posted:

I've had the same issue with games like Rock Band (I play cello and piano, though I'm much better at the former than the latter). My best guess as to why is that, when playing an actual instrument, there's a more direct link between my actions and the sound, while there's this weird layer of separation in rhythm games (since the music/rhythm is playing on its own, and you're just hitting buttons to try and match it). If you get off-rhythm in a rhythm game, the music keeps playing on its own so it can cascade into a bigger mistake and becomes harder to "re-join" the rhythm. But when playing an actual instrument you have direct control and can adjust more easily on the fly.

It reminds me of this one driver's ed course I took in high school, where they played a video of a car driving and we had to use a fake steering wheel/pedals while trying to match the video (which ironically ended up being significantly harder than actually driving).
This is a very interesting observation and makes sense. I’ve played instruments throughout my life and make music and agree on the stuff about it being hard to recover after missing timings in rhythm games.

But another “skill” that seems to have translated well to rhythm games in my experience are fighting games. I feel like learning combo timings and the associated muscle memory helps a lot with divorcing the on screen feedback from what my hands are doing. It also really helped a lot in getting good at Sekiro, which, let’s be honest, is basically one of the best rhythm games ever made

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's easier if you think of the music as controlling the pace of your actions in game instead of "matching" the rhythm, with my broken brain experience.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished the game today (just the main campaign, not sure if I'll dive into the extra content stuff too much but we'll see).

Love the Track 10 assault on the cafeteria, both with the cuts between the robots looking at you and 808 contrasted to the wanted display, then having Invaders Must Die kick in as you demolish them which I think was my favourite section of gameplay in the whole thing.

My favourite joke in the entire game is that after finally getting to the end to shut down SPECTRA you finally discover Korsica's password is "password". :allears:.

Damone
May 3, 2009
I think my favorite joke is definitely is during the parry tutorial.

"Something's overwriting our cameras to 480p. It's unviewable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I'm partial to that scene in Track 11 where they're walking in slow motion, Guardians of the Galaxy style, and CNMN draws a pair of sunglasses on his face.