Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

exquisite tea posted:

Parry and dodge counters will remove strip shields of the corresponding element and you can use them even when your partner is on cooldown.

Oh, I thought those used the cooldown? I thought the tooltip said it would increase their cooldown or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Jolo posted:

Oh, I thought those used the cooldown? I thought the tooltip said it would increase their cooldown or something.

That's only the ones where you hit the summon button on a beat hit, called jam combos. They use cooldown and cost one reverb. Doing a charged summon, where you hold down the summon button, also increases cooldown, but has no cost. Parry summons, hit summon one beat after parrying, cost nothing. And parry Macaron takes down shields super fast.

I also equipped the chip that gives Macaron a chance at critting and taking out a shield in a single hit.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I looove the flexibility of combat in this game. I can agree that in other games having specific enemy types that can only be taken down with a certain tactic can get annoying, but I don’t really think it applies to this game given the sheer amount of tools at your disposal. And honestly the rhythm aspect makes things easier than a typical character action game because both yours and enemy attacks are always conforming to the ever present 4/4 beat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At last... victory is mine... :negative:

This is what the complete mural looks like:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like the gameplay but I could make myself continue playing past the halfway point of the game of the cringeworthy MCU level of writing.

The game will NOT stop spewing absolutely god awful non-jokes even for a second.
I think there were only two jokes that got a positive reaction out of me and one of them undermined itself with the very next line.

The rare cutscenes where they do the Baby Driver thing instead of talking are cool though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JP Chai is also Rex from Xenoblade 2. That's two very recent games with Rex's voice as the protagonist (also male Alear from Fire Emblem Engage).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm really good at the Bayonetta part.

I cannot figure out this rhythm but for my life.

I can dash on the beat, no problem, but my attacks are basically a straight 50:50 even when I'm practicing with nothing around

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Natural 20 posted:

I can dash on the beat, no problem, but my attacks are basically a straight 50:50 even when I'm practicing with nothing around

I have the same problem where i want to button mash my way through combos instead of sticking to the beat. It was easier for me to focus on cycling between 3 or 4 specific combos instead of trying every available move. Repetitive, but it helped ease me into a more natural rhythm. From there i could add in extra combos when i felt comfortable enough.

If it helps, you can turn on the rhythm assist so you can focus on a visual timing track instead of relying on cues from the cat or the soundtrack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It definitely helps to have 3-4 combos you can always go to so that you can devote most of your attention toward hitting them on-beat rather than trying to remember what comes next. I like any combo that starts with XY or Y because you get a little extra time to option select with the longer heavy beat at the start. You do get penalized for repeating combos but it's way less severe than in other character action games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

XYXXX and XYX were definitely my favourite combos. YXX got a lot of use too

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

I'm the complete opposite. This is possibly the first rhythm game I've played where actual music skills seem to help, since you're directly making the "sounds" yourself while having to keep to the beat. Instead of just following along to a song/beat, which applies to the vast majority of other rhythm games, you're choosing the rhythm and just need to make it conform to the tempo/time signature (which is more similar to the actual act of playing music).

If anything, the problem is that I can't *not* hit things on the beat, and this causes me to not respond to enemy attacks (since I have trouble getting myself to "cancel" out of a beat with a dash or whatever). For example I'll be doing a Y in a combo and an enemy will attack in the middle of it, and I have trouble interrupting the Y with a dodge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jack Trades posted:

I like the gameplay but I could make myself continue playing past the halfway point of the game of the cringeworthy MCU level of writing.
the mcu didn't invent cheesy writing, and hi fi rush has far more charming writing than mcu movies. try again

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah the writing in this game was very charming and was a lot of fun

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i think i like the writing, the characters, the story and the setting all more than i like the actual gameplay, which i also really like. and I'm not an MCU fan or a fan of the joss whedon style

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Like hipster and twee before it, "MCU" is now just goon shorthand for "anything I don't like" and has lost all actual meaning. The comedy of Hi-Fi Rush is a lot more obviously indebted to the films of Edgar Wright, both in visual style and tone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

DemoneeHo posted:

I have the same problem where i want to button mash my way through combos instead of sticking to the beat. It was easier for me to focus on cycling between 3 or 4 specific combos instead of trying every available move. Repetitive, but it helped ease me into a more natural rhythm. From there i could add in extra combos when i felt comfortable enough.

If it helps, you can turn on the rhythm assist so you can focus on a visual timing track instead of relying on cues from the cat or the soundtrack.

Yeah I turned on the rhythm assist but it just doesn't seem to help. I struggle with multitasking a lot so perhaps there's some contribution there. Like if I'm concentrating I just tune everything out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hi-Fi RUSH's writing owns because it's so incredibly sincere and earnest. There's no hint of ironic "ha ha isn't this trope dumb", it's more like "hell yeah these tropes are dumb and that's great. now watch in awe while our dumbass mc unironically breaks a force field with the power of friendship."

"I don't need a guitar. I am a rockstar." is one hell of a line read.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The main character such an incredibly unlikable, delusional and self-obsessed moron with no positive qualities, I wished for horrible things to happen to him but alas, it's a saturday morning cartoon so of course nothing like that is going to happen, and while I haven't beaten the game I bet he won't have learned anything by the end of the story either.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
don't interact with jack trades are you new here

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

God forbid anyone has an opinion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jack Trades posted:

The main character such an incredibly unlikable, delusional and self-obsessed moron with no positive qualities, I wished for horrible things to happen to him but alas, it's a saturday morning cartoon so of course nothing like that is going to happen, and while I haven't beaten the game I bet he won't have learned anything by the end of the story either.
yeah he's a 25-year-old dipshit on a level beyond himbo at the start of the game. But he definitely improves over the course of the game, not to the point where he isn't a dumbass, but definitely better than at the beginning

I would propose not being so cynical about things tbh

Jack Trades posted:

God forbid anyone has an opinion.
if you didn't post like it was coming directly from your avatar people might not react so aggressively

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

monitor, etc.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
(tears welling up, gripping sides of chair, watching spongebob take a driving test) this self-obsessed moron isn't experiencing proper consequences!!!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Go play dark souls if you want to be serious and let me have my stupid popcorn game for fun.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I would say the tone and style of this game is a big part of what makes it feel fresh and so good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The biggest problem with that I have with the game is that it's trying so hard to be funny but none of the jokes land.
Most the time the "joke" is just one of the characters stating the obvious.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah he's a 25-year-old dipshit on a level beyond himbo at the start of the game. But he definitely improves over the course of the game, not to the point where he isn't a dumbass, but definitely better than at the beginning

I was honestly surprised to find out he was 25. I thought he’d be 16 or 17. Get a job, hippy!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jack Trades posted:

The biggest problem with that I have with the game is that it's trying so hard to be funny but none of the jokes land.
Most the time the "joke" is just one of the characters stating the obvious.

Ok.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Farg posted:

(tears welling up, gripping sides of chair, watching spongebob take a driving test) this self-obsessed moron isn't experiencing proper consequences!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Chai will be fun to play in Smash Bros one day.

Kudos to whoever did the art design in the game, absolutely everything looks amazing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finished the game, that kicked rear end. Moment that probably got the biggest laugh out of me was crashing into the canteen, though my favourite low-key joke is that Korsica's password is just PASSWORD.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What are your killing and clearing combos and strategies? I'm good enough with parrying that I'm almost invulnerable at this point, especially with the health and battery upgrade to directional parry. BUT, timed challenges are absolutely wrecking me, and I'm not sure what I should be doing to beat these faster. I basically live off of YXX to build stun, YXY if I just want to clear an area around me, and then YYY or YYXX (depending on how much time I think I have to get the last attacks in) then grapple when I'm focusing on one enemy. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing to be faster.

Also, why is Pick Me Up one of the special attacks that everyone seems to be using for Rhythm tower? I get that it heals, but watching videos of people running through on Rhythm Master, they seem to be using it at random times in battle (where their health isn't really that low), or in between stages before starting the next level when they're not really short on health.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

PageMaster posted:

What are your killing and clearing combos and strategies? I'm good enough with parrying that I'm almost invulnerable at this point, especially with the health and battery upgrade to directional parry. BUT, timed challenges are absolutely wrecking me, and I'm not sure what I should be doing to beat these faster. I basically live off of YXX to build stun, YXY if I just want to clear an area around me, and then YYY or YYXX (depending on how much time I think I have to get the last attacks in) then grapple when I'm focusing on one enemy. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing to be faster.

Also, why is Pick Me Up one of the special attacks that everyone seems to be using for Rhythm tower? I get that it heals, but watching videos of people running through on Rhythm Master, they seem to be using it at random times in battle (where their health isn't really that low), or in between stages before starting the next level when they're not really short on health.

For killing quickly I use a lot of aerial combos - you're much more likely to be able to finish them before being forced to dodge or parry, and your beat hits at the end are big damage. Aerial XYYY will also do a small but high-damage AOE effect below you and just a ton of damage in general.

Also, since they're independent and on a short cooldown, you want to be using your partners a lot. Obviously for breaking shields and stuff, but if you're trying to get in on a big group just spamming out some partner attacks while you think of what to do next isn't a bad move. Peppermint and Macaron's charged RTs do large AOEs that are extremely useful in general, and obviously Korsica's attacks are great for stunning enemies and keeping them stunned, letting you pile on damage sooner. The beat hit RTs are huge damage for one bar, basically letting you take two high-level special attacks, and are great for burning down annoying threats like birds and boxers. Don't forget about the parry counter RTs either, they're basically free damage or even a free shield break if you match them up right. Hibiki can also basically take out a wave or get you most of the way there on its own if they're all close enough together, although that's mostly useful for rhythm tower.

Oh! And don't forget about XY mash Y for quickly getting battery when you get an opportunity, it's also big damage but it's a bit more situational since it's a long animation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In addition to Hibiki I also use 808 Gigawatt Cat Attack, which can be useful when you’re going for S-Ranks on some tricky encounters where there’s only a small handful of enemies. If you’ve only got two bars of reverb to work with then a ground Macaron jam combo into an aerial Peppermint seems to yield a ton of points as well.

I don’t generally equip the power drink special in rhythm tower but the reason you might see players use it early is because you won’t get any health return items until you’re down to your first bar of HP anyway. So if you want to keep yourself topped off, you might as well use it when you’re only a little dinged up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Just beat it. God that game ruled and felt like a throwback in the best kind of way. Saw someone call it a lost member of the Capcom 5.

Don't think I've enjoyed a character action game this much since W101. Maybe even Revengeance.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Roquefort is a loving wolf of wall street pun how did I not see it until now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shinji Mikami is retiring. :smith:

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1628660313586339842

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Not sure if that's retiring. He was originally set to work on the RE4 remake but had to stay when Ghostwire needed him to finish it. I guess he feels more convinced that Tango can live without him now.

He could obviously be retiring but who knows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HFR might not be the last product he works on but he's said for awhile that he'd like to move on, at least in early 2020 before COVID disrupted everything. Shinji Mikami wasn't directly involved with Hi-Fi Rush but his influence is obviously everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

The laser grid chase is a gnat's hair off from ruining this whole game for me.

Yeah, still stuck here. Sucked all the fun right out of this game, thanks dev.