Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Are we gonna talk about this game? It doesn't look great all the time, but I am honestly enjoying it

MikeJF posted:

This game needs an 'are you sure you want to go back to the main menu and lose where you're at' dialogue box.

GOD, YES, IT DOES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I had fun with the first few sequences but I've decided to wait for the next patch to continue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Are we gonna talk about this game? It doesn't look great all the time, but I am honestly enjoying it

GOD, YES, IT DOES.

I'm going to talk about the game once I have a chance to play it but I just started a new job and have been super busy. I was hoping to hear more from other folks about how they've been liking it.

I think the visuals have been unimpressive and the music just feels kinda meh. Better than the garbage soundtrack of STO but that's a pretty low bar. The opening bit with the ship almost sounded like an actual Star Trek score, for a few seconds anyway!

But they've nailed the atmosphere of being on a federation starship in the 24th century and I cannot wait to play more.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Both fair takes, I didn't mean to rush anyone lol.

Yeah, it doesn't look great, but does look better than most other trek games I've played. Also feels appropriately like a trek episode or movie or something. So I'm enjoying it even though I can definitely recognize the jank it's got rn

Edit: I find the bridge of the resolute beautiful, imo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Both fair takes, I didn't mean to rush anyone lol.

Yeah, it doesn't look great, but does look better than most other trek games I've played. Also feels appropriately like a trek episode or movie or something. So I'm enjoying it even though I can definitely recognize the jank it's got rn

Edit: I find the bridge of the resolute beautiful, imo

Yeah it's pretty clear that the art budget priority was inside the ship, which was the right call imo. You gotta sell the ship.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

MikeJF posted:

This game needs an 'are you sure you want to go back to the main menu and lose where you're at' dialogue box.

Putting a "Quit to Main Menu" button on every tutorial screen is a bonkers decision. That one cost me twenty minutes yesterday.

Finished it this afternoon, and really enjoyed it. It's not without its faults, but I was really pulled in by the story and I think it looked great most of the time, the lighting and interior shots were particularly good.

My choices were fairly vanilla I think. At some point I'll go round again and make some different calls. Lieutenant Bedrosian really hates my guts.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Oh man. I lost track of time playing this, and when I checked my watch it was 2 in the morning. I don't think I've had that kind of gaming moment since college.

I can forgive the janky controls and poor PC optimization, if that's the cost of having a game that actually gets at the core of what made the older Trek series so drat good. When the plot kicks in, it doesn't let up. The writing, the acting, the impassioned arguments over principle and duty, it's all :chefskiss:

The action cutscenes have some really nice cinematography, and the alien biomes veer between "TOS fever dream unleashed" and "This alien planet was shot on a soundstage with plastic plants and an overloaded fog machine. You can see the point where the background becomes a matte painting."

God, I love this already.

Also, I absolutely get the Lower Decks inclination to hang out in engineering and listen to the warp core.

MikeJF posted:

I usually think I'm a fairly intelligent person, with the ability to learn, but evidently not. I keep getting tripped up by this, and after 10 times, I can't even blame the game. I blame myself for not learning a lesson.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I couldn't decide after the mixed reviews so I pulled up twitch to watch someone random playing it. My opinion after watching that for about four hours is that this is the best telltale game ever made. Far better than the walking dead. It's also possibly the best star trek game ever made.

However the gameplay is awful. But I never personally thought telltale games had gameplay.

If you can stand playing a brilliant authentic star trek visual novel... that for some reason includes a buttload of awful minigames?? Then WOW are you gonna love it. The minigames seem to even be something you can cheat past after failing them once. Someone on the dev team must've realized that they weren't any fun at all so they fought to get that option thrown in.

It's just sad that this game came out of nowhere without any telltale style PR blitz. Because apparently it not only looks and feels like a telltale game, it was made by many of the same people. And like I said, I think they really nailed it.

To long didn't read? Amazing writing/script/voices. Absolutely nails the theme. This could easily have been picked up as a script for a real star trek tv show. Everything else? D-

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think $40 was a good price point for this. I'm enjoying it as a visual novel - it's not much of a game though. Still one of the best Trek games of all time and better than stuff like Harbinger/Hidden Evil/Borg.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

namad posted:

It's just sad that this game came out of nowhere without any telltale style PR blitz. Because apparently it not only looks and feels like a telltale game, it was made by many of the same people. And like I said, I think they really nailed it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that telltale took on a bunch of licensed properties and stretched themselves too thin and sort of blew up their gravy train. Whoever paid for this to be made was taking a chance on getting the good telltale and not the bad telltale, so I understand why it wasn't getting much hype.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Dramatic Labs seems to be a fairly small team and I've never heard of their publisher Bruner House, as far as I know this is the first release for both. I'm guessing whatever they got out of Epic for PC exclusivity went towards actually finishing the game and a big PR push would've taken more.

Of course that's where CBS should step in since it's their license, but

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Delsaber posted:

Of course that's where CBS should step in since it's their license, but

I hope the game has enough success that someone at CBS notices but given the complete lack of marketing, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a ton of people out there who would love this game that will never hear about it. IGN had some videos out like a year ago when the game was still due in Q4 2022, and then there was complete radio silence until the devs announced the first delay, and then more silence as we approached the new April release date, when another delay was announced and the game received its May release date. I'm not sure I've ever seen a game from a major franchise like star trek get such pathetic marketing support.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Professor Beetus posted:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that telltale took on a bunch of licensed properties and stretched themselves too thin and sort of blew up their gravy train. Whoever paid for this to be made was taking a chance on getting the good telltale and not the bad telltale, so I understand why it wasn't getting much hype.

That's accurate. Walking Dead made it big so they kept chasing these really expensive licenses and not bothering to invest in their software or work on the story but kept thinking that, like, Batman or Game of Thrones (which was a giant cluster) would catch lightning in a bottle again.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If you don't mind being depressed, Noclip's documentary about the end of Telltale is worth watching. I'm suddenly curious if anyone Danny interviewed ended up working on Resurgence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-2nNksMBpg

Also this doc is now four years old which is seriously messing with my sense of time

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dawgstar posted:

That's accurate. Walking Dead made it big so they kept chasing these really expensive licenses and not bothering to invest in their software or work on the story but kept thinking that, like, Batman or Game of Thrones (which was a giant cluster) would catch lightning in a bottle again.

It's too bad because I think they had way more hits than misses. The Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, and Tales from the Borderlands were great and better than their source materials. Both Batman games were really solid and they even managed to do something interesting with the Joker. Guardians of the Galaxy was meh enough that I never finished it, and GoT was God awful and stupid from the get go so I never finished that either. I didn't finish all the seasons of the walking dead but from what I could tell it looked like it was starting to fall off a bit.

I think their track record ended up being pretty good in retrospect, but the pace was unsustainable and their commitment to never spending any resources on the technical side of things made the implosion unavoidable imo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Minor observation only lore nerds about which I'll spoiler because be on the safe side I guess: Are they implying it's really uncommon and not the norm for Trill to go unjoined, because it was my understanding that only a few get the nod. Nili's take on what Symbiosis does to somebody is really interesting and not something we've seen before I believe.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Minor observation only lore nerds about which I'll spoiler because be on the safe side I guess: Are they implying it's really uncommon and not the norm for Trill to go unjoined, because it was my understanding that only a few get the nod. Nili's take on what Symbiosis does to somebody is really interesting and not something we've seen before I believe.

Trill stuff I loved the idea too. I figure that most of Trill society aspires to be joined, even if only a few are allowed. (I think DS9 even gets into the idea that *way* more people could be joined, but the symbiosis commission artificially keeps the numbers down and suppresses that information.

Nili being so vehemently opposed to the idea makes he an outlier for sure.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is a really good game, but I'm waiting for a patch or two. The glitches aren't game breaking but dialogue cutting out and subtitles not triggering are just damaging enough to the experience. It doesn't need a whole lot to get there and they probably could've just delayed it by a month and it would've been fine, and that also would've given it a chance to not get lost in the shuffle of all these extremely big games coming out (although I guess FF16 is out in a month so maybe there isn't a good time).

Either way, the complete void of any marketing and it being restricted to a platform that no one pays attention to on PC probably doesn't bode well for its chances. I bought the console version and it runs mostly fine though I wish there was an actual PS5 version, but again there are just too many small glitches that I'm giving it another week or two before really diving in.

Really, really cool game either way. Yeah it's a Telltale-like but I can't really understate how much more is going on here in terms of animation and atmosphere and interaction.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man the music is extremely Trek, I love it. This is straight up Berman era Trek, at least so far, I haven't played much past the first couple chapters.

e: in a just world this would do well enough for CBS to throw a little money their way for a competent team of programmers who can actually do decent midbudget work. And maybe help get them some good cameos in future installments

I don't think we are in that timeline though, what with paramount trying to avoid bleeding money. Have they even announced a Halo season 2?

e2: okay I do have a complaint. I am not a fan of the curved nacelles

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 27, 2023

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Finished it this afternoon. Enjoyed the story and characters and it was a good length though would've liked more of an epilogue.

lol that I didn't see Solano being bioformed until it basically got told to me because he was a bad captain before that too

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh boy that romance subplot was clunky. I also disliked them trying to force the "captains all have their own unique catchphrase for embarking" thing, but I appreciated that I could give a perfunctory "engage" and leave it at that. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to fix myself some earl grey, hot, and get back to the game.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

lol that I didn't see Solano being bioformed until it basically got told to me because he was a bad captain before that too

Yeah, that whole sequence was genuinely tense for me, because I had no idea if he was actually bioformed or just unfit for command, until after I'd already committed what would essentially be mutiny if I was wrong. Felt like a real iacta alea est moment.

I also picked Cdr Westbrook as the person to ask for support, and that felt like a real gamble, too. Had to weigh his distrust of me as the unproven XO against his obvious concern for the well-being of the crew and his prior willingness to disobey the captain to protect the lower deckers at the beginning of the story.

I have high expectations for him as my new first officer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh boy that romance subplot was clunky. I also disliked them trying to force the "captains all have their own unique catchphrase for embarking" thing, but I appreciated that I could give a perfunctory "engage" and leave it at that. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to fix myself some earl grey, hot, and get back to the game.

And I kind of wish Nili was an option because they had more chemistry, even if working with your romantic interest as much as she and Diaz do is a terrible idea.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think we are in that timeline though, what with paramount trying to avoid bleeding money. Have they even announced a Halo season 2?

Yes, it was announced prior to the first airing of the first episode, and it wrapped filming earlier this month.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Yeah, once your crew members start getting weird it can get really dicey and hard to make some calls, esp with characters who were already hard to trust

Still not too far into it yet... I wanna play for hours uninterrupted, but sadly, my mom is hospitalized, and... well, it ain't looking good. So my attention has been elsewhere for a while... only playing a very little bit in the evenings

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, that whole sequence was genuinely tense for me, because I had no idea if he was actually bioformed or just unfit for command, until after I'd already committed what would essentially be mutiny if I was wrong. Felt like a real iacta alea est moment.

I also picked Cdr Westbrook as the person to ask for support, and that felt like a real gamble, too. Had to weigh his distrust of me as the unproven XO against his obvious concern for the well-being of the crew and his prior willingness to disobey the captain to protect the lower deckers at the beginning of the story.

I have high expectations for him as my new first officer.

I feel like all of this was a great narrative strength of the story. In a way telltale honestly never performed as effectively, EXCEPT, maybe in the wolf one they did.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So the vibe I'm getting is that budgetiness and jank aside if I'm a Trek nerd I'm gonna like this.

Imma bout to blow (fourty dollars).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

So the vibe I'm getting is that budgetiness and jank aside if I'm a Trek nerd I'm gonna like this.

That's a good way to put it. You let your love of technobabble and bumpy headed aliens carry you through everything else.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Imma bout to blow (fourty dollars).

Yeah, that's about right. It doesn't run perfectly, has last gen vibes to its look, but like, you enjoy Star Trek? Try this out. It really does feel to me like playing a movie or something. And as I've said, the Resolute is gorgeous, esp the bridge (google if you don't believe me)

Edit: that said, you'll probably get fed up with certain stuff like the tricorder things (hard to see some stuff), and the transporter pattern thing I had to do last night--I still am not 100% sure how i solved it. About 98%, but never wanna do it again to find out (though I will likely have to, I do wanna play it again as different kinds of character decisions, after all)

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 31, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been on a Trek game binge the last week or so, replaying a lot of old titles I played as a younger fellow that I had grabbed on GoG. Armada, Elite Force, 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites. I honestly didn't even realize this game was already available to buy but I decided to pick it up today, and suddenly 3 hours of my night was gone.

I'm playing with an XBOX controller I bought to use with my laptop, which is taking some getting used to as I don't really play 3rd person games, and certainly not with a controller (I haven't had a console since the first Playstation, which I played Gran Turismo on). Wiggling control sticks to complete tasks that aren't steering a car in Forza is a completely alien concept for me, but my brain seems to have settled into it. It wasn't until an hour in that I opened the menu and saw that it had a keyboard and mouse control layout, but I honestly don't want to try it now that I'm accustomed to the controller.

Anyway, I'm liking the mystery in the story so far. The A/B style of gameplay and separate (but not?) plots. Technobabble. Terribly awkward romance. Trying to be a dick to some people and super nice to others. The Captain is a Train Guy and should probably be court martialed . It's all turbo-nerdy that makes this old goon happy.

Haven't experienced any noticeable glitches, the graphics are just about where I'd want them for my laptop. I do feel like the story just kind of keeps rolling, relentlessly, without much of a break. I want to roam the ship and check out the lounges or poke the warp core for a bit before I have to get back to twiddling thumbsticks on things. All things considered, I don't regret spending the $40 dollars. If it drives interest to make more Trek games or spur patches or added content, then that would just be an added bonus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m waiting for the first appearance of this in a sale.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Ironically, this game gives me Mass Effect vibes. I think it's the Unreal Engine use, plus the cutscene shakicam and general lens flare/shiny-ness in places.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Also Bedrosian and Liara are the same voice actor.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, this is about the perfect format for a Star Trek game. I always thought while playing Mass Effect "make this 90% and it would be a great Star Trek game." I just wish the phaser sequences weren't so god awful. Like seriously what the gently caress is up with that floaty jerky nonsense? Is it any better on PC with mouse and keyboard?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I just wish the phaser sequences weren't so god awful. Like seriously what the gently caress is up with that floaty jerky nonsense? Is it any better on PC with mouse and keyboard?

I've only played with keyboard and mouse, so I don't know how much worse controller inputs are but... K+M still isn't great. It's easy enough to aim, it's just a pointless way of dragging out the game. Pop up, stun a couple of bad guys, drop back into cover until they stop shooting directly at you, repeat until the next cutscene is triggered. The actual aiming isn't hard, so K+M might be better there.

I love the rest of the game enough to power through the shooting gallery sections, but I still wish they weren't there. Or, if we're going to have a shootout, just allow the player to choose one of multiple tactical options (charge head on versus trying to flank the enemy), kind of like a smaller-scale version of choosing attack pattern beta versus delta.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For the people who've finished, is there ever a point where you can free roam the ship? For me, as a treat?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Is this better than Star Trek: Klingon? So far, nothing has beaten a game where Gowron teaches me how to say things in Klingon.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

MikeJF posted:

For the people who've finished, is there ever a point where you can free roam the ship? For me, as a treat?

Sorry pal, but no.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Is this better than Star Trek: Klingon? So far, nothing has beaten a game where Gowron teaches me how to say things in Klingon.

Nothing can reach these heights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pstDApgzto&t=189s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FjzFHyjhVI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I think I'm about halfway through maybe and I agree that this format seems like the perfect fit for Star Trek, with a focus on choice and dialogue over action. I've really liked the game so far, the only annoyance has been the abundance of minigames and the choice of blowing the clamps vs polarizing the hull. They say that the latter will shoot Diaz and his friend into the storm which seemed like a loving insane idea but then it turns out they have tethers and it was the "better" option and everybody hated me slampicking the alternative, except the shitbird captain. But the rest of the choices have been good about giving you clear options.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 10, 2023