Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Trekyards did a 'making of' with the writers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2TOSUxWUnI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

This is the only video game to have ever felt like the type of Star Trek I like to me. I think it would ruin the trick to play it a second time, but I am curious how far they would have let some of those trolley problems derail if I had made the other choice.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Blasted through this whole thing in a day and I thoroughly enjoyed it, would recommend it to any trek fan.

The jank was mostly tolerable, though I was playing with an ultra wide fix so how much was down to that I don’t know. Kind of a testament to how well the game is written and performed that I never felt like a slight graphical glitch was pulling me out of it too hard - had me really invested to a point I wasn’t expecting.

That the whole thing is structured like a 90s trek episode with the A/B plot that dip in was excellent, and the characters and situations were fantastic (gently caress Lt Bedrosian though, bloodthirsty motherfucker)

Curious to know from anyone who’s finished I picked Westbrook to assist me with the mutiny and then made him my XO which really hosed off Urmott, would either of those choices being Urmott instead have saved him or does he always wind up fighting me in the computer core?

9/10, really hope they make another Star Trek game like this

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Curious to know from anyone who’s finished I picked Westbrook to assist me with the mutiny and then made him my XO which really hosed off Urmott, would either of those choices being Urmott instead have saved him or does he always wind up fighting me in the computer core?

9/10, really hope they make another Star Trek game like this

I also picked Westbrook as my mutiny confidant and subsequent XO, and Urmott was unhappy enough to gripe about it in the turbolift afterward.

I guess he had a high enough opinion of my behavior from the rest of the game, because the conversation ended with him saying that he'd get over it and be a professional, and that was it. I don't think I interacted with him again. Def didn't fight him later. I didn't even realize that was a thing that could happen.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Rather enjoyed it, though the on foot missions could drag a bit. Hopefully a next game has rather more Bridge Commander and a bit less Wii-esque point-and-click shooting.

For the final officer shuffle I was hoping they would allow a Best of Both Worlds/Golden Route style answer of:

"We're going into a crisis and I need all of my people where they presently excel, therefore my first officer for this battle will be... Ambassador Spock!" Cue entrance music.

I was quite impressed how the game managed to excise all the bad from the tkon episode and made me care about Gate, of all creatures.

Very solid first effort, I look forward to their next work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any tools where you can feed in unreal game stuff and it can autogen 2D top-downs for the stages? Even if they're messy and covered in backplanes and stuff.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just started this last night and this is extremely my poo poo.

I've always thought the telltale formula was a great option for narrative heavy adaptations of franchises, though they've always only been as good as their writing. The dumb videogamey bits are clearly just there to pretend they're a little more than a choose your own adventure.

This one really does feel like classic Star Trek - the stories revolve around character conflict and morals - half the problems are sold with techno babble and the setting is recognisable without being fan servicey. And unlike new Trek it doesn't appear to revolve around yet another universe ending calamity.

I'm very forgiving of the clear jank, technical issues and dated tech, particularly because I feel with a bigger budget they'd be forced to make it more universally appealing and action oriented... I'm hoping this does well enough commercially and critically to generate more sequels...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

Dramatic Labs announced Patch 1.1 for Star Trek: Resurgence. Using community and player feedback, the development team has identified and resolved issues that will improve the gameplay and overall player experience including:

Added support for higher screen resolutions.
Added additional support for multiple monitors.
Added “invert Y-Axis” setting.
Added Aim and Camera sensitivity settings.
Added option to disable motion blur.
Added confirmation dialog before returning to the main menu.
A Fixed restriction that prevented the game from running at the system's maximum framerate.
Fixed dialog audio playback issues.
Fixed Xbox achievements that didn’t unlock properly.
Fixed missing and/or incorrect subtitles and user interface text.
Adjusted Tricorder beeping to only occur if there are still important scannable items to find in a given area.
Adjusted transporter mini game difficulty (easier).
Additional stability improvements and bug fixes.

The patch is now live on all platforms. Star Trek: Resurgence is out now for Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PlayStation®4 gaming consoles (and is playable on PlayStation 5 via backwards compatibility) and exclusively on the Epic Games Store for PCs

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nice.

Better late than never, but seriously how did

quote:

Added confirmation dialog before returning to the main menu.
get to the point where it needed to be patched? How did it get past the PC beta testers at all? It's the kind of thing that pretty much every single PC player would run into repeatedly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

According to their twitter it shipped with a 'fast back to the main menu' developer hotkey accidentally left on.

It's pretty obvious at this point that this was rammed out very incomplete and this last month or two has been a rush to get some of the basics done in patch.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 1, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finally got some time to get back to this and lol at this game finishing the hat trick of (this game + Picard and Lower Decks spoilers) Riker showing up at the head of a fleet to save the day after Picard and Lower Decks. Just perfect.

In the imperfect category holy gently caress how did these terrible combat and stealth sections make it past beta? Jesus Christ either put puzzles back in adventure games or hire some loving fps devs to do the action stuff competently.

Absolutely hosed up that we didn't get a Galaxy class in the fleet.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Agreed, the stealth / combat parts were the worst parts for me, oh and flying the shuttle through those storm rings

Either go full adventure game with puzzles or maybe have the combat/stealth parts as optional (unless that's what the 'story mode' thing is when you replay a section after you die)? Idk, I enjoyed it overall though, despite having some technical issues where the tricorder froze the game for me.