Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Content Warning: The games industry, much like any other industry, is fraught with power imbalances and people who take advantage of those power imbalances. As such, this thread may delve into topics such as sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and suicide. There are probably other sensitive topics that will be touched upon. Above all else, please try to remain respectful when discussing these topics.

Here is a totally random list of guidelines that won’t be enforced in any way that differentiates this thread from other threads in the Games subforum. This list simply acts as a set of posting guidelines and expected behavior for posting in this thread:

quote:

This thread is for Games Industry news only.

Please keep chatting to a minimum.

We’re all adults here, so please: no snippy fighting.

Wild speculation about twitter accounts and the truth behind motivations is off topic, and probably not a good idea!

Posts that are whitenoise or simply saying to :gas: the thread are lame! Don’t be lame!

Try not to cheerlead others or disparage others.

The nature of content in this thread can be emotionally negative so if you find yourself getting angry or heated because of the discussion please do something else for a bit.

Thank you.

Alright, that’s it. Again, try not to be a dick, and if someone’s being a dick (in a way that doesn’t break the forum rules) try to ignore them. There are definitely a lot of people here who thrive on attention and don’t care whether it’s positive or negative. The forum does have an ignore function, so consider utilizing that if you find someone particularly annoying.

If they are breaking the forum rules, please report them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Anyways, it looks like a lot of live service games are shutting down recently. Who knows what’s next?
https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1621564315504451585

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
More like wild speculation heyoo

I haven’t heard of most of those games, and I guess that’s why they are being shut down. Can’t wait for Ubisoft to launch more like service games that no one will play. It’s gonna be great or terrible. I won’t know, I won’t play them.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Has anyone heard anything about THE FINALS?? The alpha back in November? Was a loving blast, and it ruined all of the other shooters for me (pending Atomic Heart, which is sp and doesn't count)

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos
Since I'm pretty sure this happened while the thread was closed, ATVI got a little bitty slap on the wrist.

https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-sexual-misconduct-sec-whistleblower-1850070728

As an Activision Blizzard employee, my opinions are my own and do not reflect those of the company

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The only one from that list that I've actually played is Knockout City, which I found to me a pretty fun arena "shooter" (actually dodgeball, not really shooting guns.)

However, I have also heard of Rumbleverse (and Apex Legends, of which I'm guessing ALM is a port) and I'm a little bummed to hear that one's shutting down; Iron Galaxy seems like a cool place and I'd like to see them succeed, personally.

Interestingly, I'm guessing this is a consequence of it being an Epic Store exclusive, and I've heard that Epic is the one footing the bill, but this is something I'd like to see from projects that shut down this soon after release:

https://twitter.com/Rumbleverse/status/1620528426670239746

Specifically, the "Players who have made any purchase since launch will be eligible for a refund." part.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

Anyways, it looks like a lot of live service games are shutting down recently. Who knows what’s next?

Love Live shutting down is actually a pretty big one and a little weird to me - it's a very long running rhythm/gacha game, and they're taking the odd move of shutting down the first game with its purported sequel game in the pipeline but not ready to launch yet. I don't really see why they wouldn't just keep the lights on for the first game as long as they can to keep pulling down cash while the second game spins up, but what do I know.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Scholtz posted:

Interestingly, I'm guessing this is a consequence of it being an Epic Store exclusive, and I've heard that Epic is the one footing the bill, but this is something I'd like to see from projects that shut down this soon after release:

Specifically, the "Players who have made any purchase since launch will be eligible for a refund." part.

They're likely doing it specifically because it's so close to its release and the shutdown announcement is so sudden, to head off any potential consumer complaints.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanos posted:

They're likely doing it specifically because it's so close to its release and the shutdown announcement is so sudden, to head off any potential consumer complaints.

They also would like to maintain good will for future projects and can afford to do this. If they did not have the money spigot of Fortnite funding this + future projects in the pipeline I don't know if they'd be this "generous".

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Echo VR is a funny one- it's a reasonably popular (which means hundreds of concurrents in its heyday and one or two hundred concurrents today) VR game whose company was bought by Meta because of its popularity. However, word from inside the company is that they've been largely incapable of getting their own code to do anything since being bought. They haven't been able to integrate with meta's services, and they haven't been able to fix a bug that causes the matchmaking server to crash when ~500 people try to play at once.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Scholtz posted:

They announced they're dropping support for Avengers, too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does this count as game industry?

https://www.eurogamer.net/american-judge-dismisses-switch-joy-con-drift-lawsuit posted:

American judge dismisses Switch Joy-Con drift lawsuit
An American judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed against Nintendo for its Joy-Con drift issues, saying the case cannot proceed because the owners agreed to Nintendo's End User License Agreement (EULA) that "disallows lawsuits".

Despite attempts to argue that underaged children - who used the handheld system - cannot enter into the agreement, the federal judge ultimately ruled that the agreement was with the "de facto owners", the parents, and not the children who actually used the console.

Consequently, the judge dismissed the action, stating that the parents should have entered legal arbitration rather than a lawsuit, as instructed by the EULA (thanks, NE).

Several class-action lawsuits have been filed against Nintendo, including players experiencing Joy-Con drift on the then-newly released Nintendo Switch Lite.

Last year, Nintendo gave its first formal apology for the continued Joy-Con problems faced by Nintendo Switch owners, but it wasn't enough to stop the legal action coming from affected parties right across the world.

"Regarding the Joy-Con, we apologise for any trouble caused to our customers," Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa said at the time. "We are continuing to aim to improve our products, but as the Joy-Con is the subject of a class-action lawsuit in the United States and this is still a pending issue, we would like to refrain from responding about any specific actions."

A major study from UK consumer group Which? recently found evidence that the Nintendo Switch's infamous Joy-Con drift is likely caused by a mechanical fault, pointing to fundamental design flaws.

american legal system sucks rear end lol, forced arbitration clauses in EULAs are such an insanely lovely/shady thing

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Y'all might enjoy a recently started podcast UNBOXING: Play & Profit for the Gaming Curious. It's by two professors at NYU who teach media history & business, looking at recent gaming news especially with a focus on the business side of things. It's really well produced.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

american legal system sucks rear end lol, forced arbitration clauses in EULAs are such an insanely lovely/shady thing

Sorry is this judge saying that by hitting A to continue, children can enter into contracts on behalf of their parents?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

ColdPie posted:

Y'all might enjoy a recently started podcast UNBOXING: Play & Profit for the Gaming Curious. It's by two professors at NYU who teach media history & business, looking at recent gaming news especially with a focus on the business side of things. It's really well produced.

thank you for this, that's great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Are there any joy-con actions taking place in other parts of the world?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lol so much for EULA's not being legally binding I guess?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/04/...&smid=share-url

Here's a gift article (I think that means you can read it without having a paid account?) about the latest from the proposed :nice: deal for Activision. It's interesting to me that the UK might be harder on the deal to demonstrate their independence from the EU.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
EULA’s have always been found to be legally binding when tested (everything else being equal) iirc - the only people who say otherwise are those who want to be able to ignore them.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Itzena posted:

EULA’s have always been found to be legally binding when tested (everything else being equal) iirc - the only people who say otherwise are those who want to be able to ignore them.

I don't think it would be binding for a minor. It's a sort of weird case since they can't enter into contracts. Not a lawyer though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

leper khan posted:

I don't think it would be binding for a minor. It's a sort of weird case since they can't enter into contracts. Not a lawyer though.

quote:

Despite attempts to argue that underaged children - who used the handheld system - cannot enter into the agreement, the federal judge ultimately ruled that the agreement was with the "de facto owners", the parents, and not the children who actually used the console.

Shifting the burden to the parents is such a classic american thing to do.

But also EULAs suck and so does legal arbitration.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1622961736600137733?s=61&t=rRbp51vPxf_XuKp0zSBnnA

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago where this came up as a more general discussion about how VO can be harmed by AI and I’m really bummed that devs are already using that stuff and trying to force voice actors into onerous contracts. There’s no way anyone with union representation is gonna be allowed to do this, especially SAG members, so what this is gonna do is increase the amount game devs prey on new actors or worse, people already working at the studio and become able to own peoples voices.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1622961736600137733?s=61&t=rRbp51vPxf_XuKp0zSBnnA

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago where this came up as a more general discussion about how VO can be harmed by AI and I’m really bummed that devs are already using that stuff and trying to force voice actors into onerous contracts. There’s no way anyone with union representation is gonna be allowed to do this, especially SAG members, so what this is gonna do is increase the amount game devs prey on new actors or worse, people already working at the studio and become able to own peoples voices.

If this leads to a resurgence of PS1-era, Resident Evil-like voice acting from amateurs, I’ll take it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

What that makes me think of is how graphical prettiness was prioritized over frame rate for a while, because people talked about graphics but not frame rate. And then they started cutting things down to 30 or less, and found out the hard way that nobody was talking about the frame rate because people just kind of took it for granted and assumed it would be smooth, so when it stopped being smooth, people noticed very quickly.

I think that voice acting is going to be the same thing, where we got too used to anything being any good at all and it's back to the days of "dogs of the AMS" tier acting. :sigh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

bloodysabbath posted:

If this leads to a resurgence of PS1-era, Resident Evil-like voice acting from amateurs, I’ll take it.

What do you mean by this? The only way this development could lead to the resurgence of non-professional quality voice acting is maaaybe companies hiring non-union amateurs as scabs because the unions refuse to enter into contracts that allow the company can use AI to exploit workers, which would be a terrible development for everyone involved.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kanos posted:

What do you mean by this? The only way this development could lead to the resurgence of non-professional quality voice acting is maaaybe companies hiring non-union amateurs as scabs because the unions refuse to enter into contracts that allow the company can use AI to exploit workers, which would be a terrible development for everyone involved.

Less "hiring non-union amateurs" and more "getting non-voice-actors working other roles on the game to fill in instead of hiring VAs".

Let's be real ... if you're excited to work twelve hour days as a junior dev because it's videogames, you're gonna be even more ecstatic to get your voice in the game regardless of how objectively lovely the contract is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
"mild speculation"

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The BBC did some reporting on AI radio-broadcasting last year. The jist of it was (at least with the contracts they were discussing) that the VA/broadcaster would be paid a little bit for each time the AI based on their voice was used. It makes sense for some repetitive applications like weather forecasting. I'll try and see if I can look it up.

It was pretty weird listening to the presenter happily musing about how he might just be paid a bit every time his voice was used. I don't know how the math works out but kinda sounded like a pay cut or at least a drop from having a fixed salary.

E: That probably wouldn't be a good model for working on products with a definite finishing point like games. Unless it's one of the dozen live service games that have enough of a userbase to keep pumping out new content year after year.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 8, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
drat, a game dev pal put up some examples of some AI voice actor thing they were testing out the other day. They were just using it for a laugh to read out an unhinged post by a mutual friend but I didn’t think at the time what the real ‘benefit’ to a studio could be, that sucks that VAs might end up in the same boat as visual artists from all this.

As for the voice program thing, one sounded generic and bland af, though admittedly much better and more believable than OG Resi/HotD2 quality VA work. The other was surprisingly great and natural though, albeit it tripped up comprehending a couple things in places.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The CMA wants a divestment in the MS/ABK deal.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/63e2589a8fa8f50e85820fb0/Microsoft-Activision_PFs_Summary_2.pdf

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Or some behavioral remedy, but what that is is unclear and I think in their notes basically "the behavioral remedy we want is you divesting call of duty"

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assumed that the CMA calling for divestiture meant that the long-term access deal Microsoft offered wasn’t sufficient, but this part might indicate otherwise? Seems like a weird way to handle it tho.

quote:

57. During our investigation, Microsoft told us that it has offered to enter into new long-term agreements with Sony, Nintendo, and Steam to supply them with CoD post-Merger. Whether some form of supply or licensing agreement might satisfactorily remedy our concerns in gaming consoles is something that we will consider as part of our remedies process, rather than in our competitive assessment.

If Microsoft foreclosing access to CoD is truly their main concern then just having some sort of enforceable agreement between Microsoft and other platforms seems like it should be a viable solution.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That or just dumping Acti. They still get Blizzard and more importantly King (which is what they said they really wanted).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like how one of the proposed remedies is "divest call of duty" or "divest all of activision and blizzard" and Im struggling to understand how one of those is not a strictly more severe version of the other

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s a practicality question, essentially giving Microsoft the ability to say, (for instance) CoD is too central to Acti for us to be able to cleanly separate it, so in order to divest CoD, we’re divesting Acti. Acti-Blizz is just the next level of that. Basically if they go the divestment route, MS will go for the lowest option they perceive as actually deliverable/sensible.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 8, 2023

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

DC Murderverse posted:

This is interesting because i've heard that the era of voice acting everything resulted in a hit to the quality of RPGs because they have to finalise the dialogue much earlier than in the past. If this lets them make revisions to the dialogue after the VA has been recoded that would be cool.

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021
February 2023: Graveyard of Live-Service Games, that you will never be able to play. regardless if you bought them or not.

- Apex Legends Mobile - EA
- Babylon's Fail - Squeenix
- Battlefield Mobile - EA
- Bravely Default - Brillant Lights - Squeenix
- Crimesight - Konami (still available on stores to buy lol)
- CrossfireX - Remedy
- Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: A Hero’s Bonds - Squeenix
- Echo VR - Meta
- Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier - Squeenix
- Chocobo GP - Squeenix
- Stadia - Google
- Knockout City - Velan Studios
- Rumbleverse - Epic Games
- Spelbreak - Proletariat

RIP

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DrZepam posted:

February 2023: Graveyard of Live-Service Games, that you will never be able to play. regardless if you bought them or not.

- Apex Legends Mobile - EA
- Babylon's Fail - Squeenix
- Battlefield Mobile - EA
- Bravely Default - Brillant Lights - Squeenix
- Crimesight - Konami (still available on stores to buy lol)
- CrossfireX - Remedy
- Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: A Hero’s Bonds - Squeenix
- Echo VR - Meta
- Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier - Squeenix
- Chocobo GP - Squeenix
- Stadia - Google
- Knockout City - Velan Studios
- Rumbleverse - Epic Games
- Spelbreak - Proletariat

RIP

You're almost certainly missing a huge number of service games from mobile. And plausibly a significant number of PC games in Korea and Japan.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

CJ posted:

This is interesting because i've heard that the era of voice acting everything resulted in a hit to the quality of RPGs because they have to finalise the dialogue much earlier than in the past. If this lets them make revisions to the dialogue after the VA has been recoded that would be cool.

One of my buddies was just bitching about this exact thing. He had to re-write a bunch of story to match dialog that had already been recorded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

leper khan posted:

You're almost certainly missing a huge number of service games from mobile. And plausibly a significant number of PC games in Korea and Japan.

Is there any reason so many games are disappearing this month? Some new law or a CDN shutting down or something?