Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there any reason so many games are disappearing this month? Some new law or a CDN shutting down or something?

There is nothing particularly interesting about this month. Games disappear every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

leper khan posted:

There is nothing particularly interesting about this month. Games disappear every day.

I imagine just cause it is the start of the year so contracts are expiring and whatnot?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I imagine the overall economy is a big part of it. Companies are going on cost savings crusades which means cutting everything but the most profitable or core businesses.

And a bunch of gaming companies have been reporting decreased revenue and missing estimates so there is some level of consumer spending decreasing, exacerbating the above.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

How many of those were Activision/Blizzard/King-associated games? At least in their case, I could see the argument that without the Chinese market propping them up any more for the foreseeable future, they have a lot of mobile-heavy titles that (in the exec’s eyes) aren’t pulling their weight any more.

Yesterday’s announcement that Hearthstone is sunsetting their Mercenaries game mode, for example, was taken by some folks as a tacit admission that the China mobile market was just about the only reason why they had continued developing for that mode.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

How many regular games come out and just sink into obscurity almost immediately? I'm not sure this sunsetting of a bunch of live-service games is actually that meaningfully different from what has long happened already anyway.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

MadHat posted:

I imagine just cause it is the start of the year so contracts are expiring and whatnot?

For a lot of companies the fiscal year starts around April, so this is the last quarter before they have to reconcile everything.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

koolkal posted:

I imagine the overall economy is a big part of it. Companies are going on cost savings crusades which means cutting everything but the most profitable or core businesses.

And a bunch of gaming companies have been reporting decreased revenue and missing estimates so there is some level of consumer spending decreasing, exacerbating the above.

It's also the beginning of a new fiscal quarter, so hopefully the cost-cutting translates to investor confidence and positive end-of-quarter numbers.

efb guess I should read the thread

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

disposablewords posted:

How many regular games come out and just sink into obscurity almost immediately? I'm not sure this sunsetting of a bunch of live-service games is actually that meaningfully different from what has long happened already anyway.

The difference is you can still play those games. There are games I payed 50 bucks for back in the day that no one gives a poo poo about anymore that I still fire up occasionally. On the other hand if you dropped $10000 on some live service and it goes down a year later you're just screwed. I mean, you'd be pretty stupid not to foresee that possibility, but it still sucks and is significantly different than some game simply coming out and not making a splash. It's just a particularly noticable example of how increasingly anti-consumer everything is becoming.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Even setting aside ownership rights, it's very stupid that there are multiple games I spent significant time and investment on in very recent times that are literally fully unplayable. Games made in the past 4-6 years, too. Servers shut down, service abandoned, online only game that reached EoS... meanwhile if there's some old console game I loved, even if I no longer have a copy, there are multiple routes to still playing it, either illegal or legal. Remakes, ports, emulators, finding an old physical copy, etc.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Moon Monster posted:

The difference is you can still play those games. There are games I payed 50 bucks for back in the day that no one gives a poo poo about anymore that I still fire up occasionally. On the other hand if you dropped $10000 on some live service and it goes down a year later you're just screwed. I mean, you'd be pretty stupid not to foresee that possibility, but it still sucks and is significantly different than some game simply coming out and not making a splash. It's just a particularly noticable example of how increasingly anti-consumer everything is becoming.

Oh, that absolutely sucks about them, I just don't think it's an odd thing about a chunk of live-service games to disappear like this because games just fail and swiftly stop receiving support all the time. It's just that these games require constant support in the form of online servers to remain playable at all. Otherwise it's the same basic situation as a single-player game no longer getting patched and likely having issues with later versions of an OS.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I worked on a technically live service game that really was mostly single player, Microsoft Flight. The game didn't do very well (stuck in a no mans land between hard core sim and pilot wings that nobody asked for). Despite failing as a business the game had some good things going for it and my kids still occasionally ask if they can play it. They can't. :(
It extremely sucks that this is very likely that fate of every game I work on for the rest of my career.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Going forward if live service games are going to dramatically sunset without warning, assuming the studio/publisher isn't bankrupt, there should absolutely be a legal requirement to do it the way the Knockout City devs currently are.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there any reason so many games are disappearing this month? Some new law or a CDN shutting down or something?

Tech layoffs probably. Loads of companies are cutting, live service games are very intensive to run well

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I had already stopped playing years before, but I’d imagine that a lot of folks who bought Overwatch were pretty chuffed when OW2 released and so fundamentally changed the game that they had spent cash on, without any (legal) option to continue playing the original.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
absolutely thrilled

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think right now we're seeing the consequences of the "everything must be a live service with online components" bandwagon that the industry was getting on. Hopefully there is some kind of "does this really need to have a single point of failure built in so we can lose our poo poo when you stop supporting it" pushback, but who knows.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A large part of the push towards live services is so data can be harvested without having to ask if you want to send usage telemetry, which makes idiot hellfuckers obsessed with THE METRICS salivate. Like, sure, it's nice to know how users are playing your game and it makes it a lot easier to investigate outlying trends, but it also makes the product much more fragile overall because when the servers go down, the game dies. However, that's good for business - it doesn't matter if it's kneecapping the product in question, it's effectively free analytics for future product, which sends us down the road of "just consume product and then get excited for new product".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kith posted:

A large part of the push towards live services is so data can be harvested without having to ask if you want to send usage telemetry, which makes idiot hellfuckers obsessed with THE METRICS salivate. Like, sure, it's nice to know how users are playing your game and it makes it a lot easier to investigate outlying trends, but it also makes the product much more fragile overall because when the servers go down, the game dies. However, that's good for business - it doesn't matter if it's kneecapping the product in question, it's effectively free analytics for future product, which sends us down the road of "just consume product and then get excited for new product".

Can confirm, in some of the QA jobs I've had, the telemetry/metrics bugs were basically the highest priority, second only to something that'd like, brick your console, irrevocably delete a character/save and/or the store going down. Definitely taking precedence over massive gameplay issues, progression blockers and that kinda thing. Always annoyed me but obviously can't disagree with the folks paying the bills.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DancingMachine posted:

It extremely sucks that this is very likely that fate of every game I work on for the rest of my career.

I mean on the one hand yeah, GAAS tends to suck, but I feel like there's always been a fair amount of pushback on it from players at large-- there's still plenty of developers out there making pretty high-tier games that are effectively single player or are able to be played in offline mode, even if you've got shitters like 2K retroactively back-patching launchers and accounts into the original Bioshock for the sake of analytics. Middle of the road "single player games with just enough online-required content that they stop being accessible when the servers go down" means that content has to be actually served via that route, which is an expense, and I feel like the number of those floating around as a hard requirement isn't super high; MS Flight Sim and Elite Dangerous are two of the few that spring immediately to mind. Some games certainly can lose some things when the servers go down (like how all physical 3DS games with eshop-only DLC are shortly going to be inacessible if you don't have them already), but the games won't be literally unplayable.

On the far side of it, the proper game-as-a-service MMO or There Is No Game Without Online Multiplayer stuff, everyone wants a slice of that pie but unless you win the literal lottery you can't just show up in the space and expect people will play your DAU-driven gacha and no others no matter how much money you're willing to dump into it to kick it out of the nest (see: New World). At this point it seems like most studios realize that self-cannabilizing their GAAS by trying to do five of them at once is a losing strategy, so you spin one up and then do other cheaper one-off stuff that doesn't require ongoing infrastructure investment to keep running on the side, even if it's just remasters and remakes of whatever IP you can scrounge for a quick nostalgia buck. (Or, alternatively, accept all 5 of your GAASes won't all be the next DOTA and coast with a moderate but maybe-sustainable playerbase on each, but the people who are looking at this stuff with dollar signs lighting up their eyes will never be content with anything that isn't infinite exponential growth so)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The unarchivability of online game parallels things like live theater and stand-up comedy and even museum exhibits. The ephemeral, fleeting nature of the experience have financial motivations and artistic considerations. It’s good money for the corporation but it also lends a kind of charm to it all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

The unarchivability of online game parallels things like live theater and stand-up comedy and even museum exhibits. The ephemeral, fleeting nature of the experience have financial motivations and artistic considerations. It’s good money for the corporation but it also lends a kind of charm to it all.

I see your point but forgive me that I don't equate the impact of a George Carlin comedy set with the likes of Babylon's Fall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vegetable posted:

You can watch recordings of stand-up or live theater performances forever, and museum exhibits only tend to rotate out because the objects on display are being sent to another museum to be put on display there instead. A live service game that gets shut down is completely unplayable forever with no recourse unless someone manages to scrape together enough insider information to put up a private server, which is a process that involves an enormous amount of work and is subject to constant legal challenge and reliance on the goodwill of the company that shut the game down in the first place.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

You can watch recordings of stand-up or live theater performances forever, and museum exhibits only tend to rotate out because the objects on display are being sent to another museum to be put on display there instead. A live service game that gets shut down is completely unplayable forever with no recourse unless someone manages to scrape together enough insider information to put up a private server, which is a process that involves an enormous amount of work and is subject to constant legal challenge and reliance on the goodwill of the company that shut the game down in the first place.
The vast majority of theater productions and stand-up shows are lost forever to the ether. A very, very small minority get recorded.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
But people know that going in. I suppose, if anything, live service games need to be thought of as more ephemeral even than they seem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You can theoretically recreate any of those as long as you have the book of the play.

I think there's a similar case for things like dead multiplayer games where even though they're "alive", the community around them can never be recreated, or even dead sports where playing them again is impractical, but the actual "source" materials still exist.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Theatre and museum exhibitions also extract far less money and time from the customer than the average GAAS.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can theoretically recreate any of those as long as you have the book of the play.

That's sort of like saying you can recreate the GaaS if you have the design doc.

A great part of the magic of live theater is the specific actors, the staging, costumes etc.
Macbeth's three witches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VAXElyAJyg
vs
Macbeth's three witches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5TpecxZL88

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think a discussion on the ephemerality of certain forms of art is beyond the scope of this thread, but I do think that "preserving" service games by keeping the code and assets is worthwhile even if they might never be in a playable state ever again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are many cases of community-run private-server "preservation" attempts for GaaS that re-implement / reverse engineer the serverside stuff rather than actually using the original code. Mostly just for MMOs afaik.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

doingitwrong posted:

That's sort of like saying you can recreate the GaaS if you have the design doc.

I mean that's part of the fun tangential discussion you can get into with these sorts of things, too-- certainly some GAAS games would have nothing remotely close to the original experience if reproduced in an offline state, but something that's only streaming for the sake of direct asset control, has little or no multiplayer interaction and/or is only using the "online" aspect to gate in-game microtransactions is closer to a book that had a single print run that was intentionally never repeated. Certainly you could argue that the ephemeral nature and artificial inacessibilty is "part of" the original art but you'd probably have far fewer people agreeing with that perspective.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are many cases of community-run private-server "preservation" attempts for GaaS that re-implement / reverse engineer the serverside stuff rather than actually using the original code. Mostly just for MMOs afaik.

There's also stuff like private networks hosted for lobby games that relied on services such as gamespy which no longer exist. Team shooters, RTS, etc.

It is far from all of them though.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with some media being lost, even media I really enjoyed or worked on. There's tons of lost media in literature, film, radio and television, why would games be any different?
I feel like obsessing over preserving every single thing is kinda unhealthy.
Like do I think future generations need to experience the Britney Spears mobile game I worked on that is no longer supported on any modern OS? Nah, that game can fade away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You think that but then archaeologists scramble for the poo poo that normally got thrown away because it provides insights into everyday life that people took for granted.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's good to err on the side of archiving, you can always delete things later but you can never undelete them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bucnasti posted:

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with some media being lost, even media I really enjoyed or worked on. There's tons of lost media in literature, film, radio and television, why would games be any different?
I feel like obsessing over preserving every single thing is kinda unhealthy.
Like do I think future generations need to experience the Britney Spears mobile game I worked on that is no longer supported on any modern OS? Nah, that game can fade away.

I sincerely believe our descendents need to know that the Nokia Ngage happened, and that it was designed with its cartridge slot behind its battery. The Homer of video games existed, and it could happen again if we don't learn from the experience.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HopperUK posted:

But people know that going in. I suppose, if anything, live service games need to be thought of as more ephemeral even than they seem.

As stated, if you go to see a stand-up act or a play or a concert, it's understood that those things last for a specified amount of time and then are over. There might be recordings to see them later, there might not, but it's understood by everyone involved that they are temporary.

Every single live service game is launched under the assumption that they're going to run it for as long as they're making sufficient amounts of money. What qualifies as sufficient varies wildly from publisher to publisher and developer to developer, and how long a game lasts is almost completely random. There are gacha games and MMOs that have limped along with extremely tiny dedicated fanbases for a double digit number of years and there are brand new GAAS games that don't even make it a year before receiving an end of service announcement despite having several times as many players as the aforementioned ancient gachas and mmos. Facebook/Meta just arbitrarily decided to end service on Echo VR despite it still having tens of thousands of players and an active competitive scene because of an executive change where the new executive doesn't like supporting smaller projects despite the outgoing executive(John Carmack!) publicly saying that sunsetting the game like this out of nowhere was a bad idea.

This dovetails in an ugly way with the inherent design of most live service games demanding significant amounts of player investment in the form of both time and money. How can you simultaneously expect players to invest heavily in your product while also expecting those players to consider it ephemeral and capable of disappearing permanently at any time?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 14, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Can confirm, in some of the QA jobs I've had, the telemetry/metrics bugs were basically the highest priority, second only to something that'd like, brick your console, irrevocably delete a character/save and/or the store going down. Definitely taking precedence over massive gameplay issues, progression blockers and that kinda thing. Always annoyed me but obviously can't disagree with the folks paying the bills.

If the major gameplay bug were such a big deal there would be metrics to that effect, ipso facto

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Sort of relevant to this thread, Double Fine just released a 32 part documentary on the production of Psychonauts 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKoy_KMVIyU

For those who've worked in the industry, how closely does this track with your development experience at other companues?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Saami Council has demanded that Square Enix remove a costume set from Final Fantasy 14.
https://twitter.com/SaamiCouncil/status/1626247612092252162

quote:

This is not about sensitivity or whether the depiction is appropriate. These elements are Sámi cultural property and Square Enix has infringed on our rights, says President of The Saami Council, Áslat Holmberg.

The Sámi people’s position has been made very clear, Holmberg continues, particularly to entertainment companies, specifically in the agreement that the Sámi people have with Walt Disney Animation Studios.

It is the position of the Sámi that their collective and individual culture, including aesthetic elements, music, language, stories, histories, and other traditional cultural expressions are property that belong to the Sámi.

Our cultural property rights are not theoretical. They are protected and protectable under intellectual property laws, which are generally harmonised throughout the world. Square Enix, as a media company, is highly aware of intellectual property laws and has no excuse for this blatant violation of Sámi cultural property, Holmberg continues.

The Saami Council is of the opinion that the issue is particularly damaging because Sámi clothing traditions are not merely aesthetic; they carry the significance of being specific elements of Sámi identity with meaning, content, and context. By creating this product, Square Enix has allowed their 41 million players to dress up as a Sámi people, clothe themselves in the Sámi identity without our consent, and contribute to the erosion of our culture.
They reference an agreement they made with Disney over Frozen, where Frozen 2 will get a Saami dub, give a credit to the Saami people, meet with a Saami advisory group, and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Didn't the Maori's win a big settlement from Lego for using a bunch of their mythology and culture in the Bionicle line?

Like the story I heard was that the Maori IP'd up their own culture and then Lego came along and stole it all so the Maori took them to court and won.