Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

As a working class goon, I've spent most of my life working in retail, blue collar, hospitality, etc. environments and the stereotypes are all true w/r/t dysfunctionality and odd personalities. I've had good and bad jobs and everything in between but the one constant I can think of is that you meet some weird people and end up in some chaotic situations.

What I'm curious is, what is it like when you're the upper crust, doing things like medicine, software engineering, hedge fund managing, and the like? Is it all very composed and sober or is everything just as crazy? Do any of you PMC goons have some quirky stories about the workplace and the people you've met there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Software engineering is pretty chill with chill and smart folk in general.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The culture at my company was very good, and remains good until the very end. Hell, they're paying me out on my 401k like I was vested after being there for 3.5 years. Night shift SMD/microsoldering is chill af.

Sadly, most of my coworkers are getting laid off on the 24th, I'm getting laid off on 3/17, and once there's no COBRA coverage or factory lease at midnight on 7/1 the parent is probably gonna dissolve the LLC since all it's doing at that point is existing on paper for the US Federal Government to impose taxes upon.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

it’s also not at all ‘upper crust’ and basically extremely pointless and shameful compared to any blue collar work

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
Theres pretty much no rules at my job. Theres all sorts of unaccounted for cash lying around. We don't even have a safe lol. I blast doom metal all day and got in a fight with an old guy once. He was asking for it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bunch of the guys in the office who make less than me wear suits and stuff and i usually wear a hoodie and a hat lol. it loving owns

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i basically show up and leave whenever i want also

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the cultue is gbs because i'm fully remote for two companies.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i basically show up and leave whenever i want also

Spencer, is that you?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If you dont have a worthless boss who micromanages like crazy its super chill in my experience. My blue collar friends talk about how his boss is drunk during work like 75% of the time and yells at people constantly and thats a big yikes from me.

Wait was this thread a trap fug

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

At my work people’s voting power is tied to the size of their desk

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

our culture is agile, it’s how we’ve become a trusted disruptor without sacrificing our reputation as a world class mission partner

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I am a developer and as long as my projects are done on time my boss won't bother me.

She did get fired this week for incompetence so it will be quiet around the office for a week or two.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This. I don't think any of the engineers I work with has any ego, the PMs are nice enough, and they're okay with us pushing poo poo back when they're not ready. My manager doesn't seem to do anything day to day but he's also pretty helpful when prioritizing things.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Space Kablooey posted:

My manager doesn't seem to do anything day to day

Same tbh im amazed im still employed

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
There’s a lot of poo and crazies at mine

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I work from home and the only time I talk to coworkers is for the once a week zoom meeting and I wish I could skip it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

git apologist posted:

it’s also not at all ‘upper crust’ and basically extremely pointless and shameful compared to any blue collar work
Yeah I dunno if tech counts because it sure as hell isn't the same league as hedge fund management. Which I imagine is like American Psycho 24/7.

Not too many weird people at [known megacorp] or really crazy situations. Complete fuckups usually get filtered out. We had one brand new hire try hitting on our HR lady like the first day and after being told to cut it out, he decided to resign instead.

None of my teammates are in the same country even so it doesn't matter if I WFH or from a tropical island. Occasionally there is stuff that needs to be done yesterday but generally it's usually pretty chill.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I work from home. If I have to come into the office I'll throw on pants.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
A few months ago my boss called a company-wide meeting in which he announced everyone was getting a substantial raise to offset cost-of-living increases. I hope to work for this company until my retirement.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want Megyn Kelly's and Al Roker's first take.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I've been fully remote since COVID hit, so I guess my workplace culture is just me sitting on my rear end at home

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

our culture is agile, it’s how we’ve become a trusted disruptor without sacrificing our reputation as a world class mission partner

My team has built a robust ecosystem that activates its members across all verticals.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr. Crow posted:

If you dont have a worthless boss who micromanages like crazy its super chill in my experience. My blue collar friends talk about how his boss is drunk during work like 75% of the time and yells at people constantly and thats a big yikes from me.

Wait was this thread a trap fug

Katamari Democracy posted:

I am a developer and as long as my projects are done on time my boss won't bother me.

She did get fired this week for incompetence so it will be quiet around the office for a week or two.

Oh yeah micromanagers are bad especially when it’s for meaningless garbage. Had one who insisted on keeping our large PDF reports on a shared Outlook folder, it took about five minutes for each to load and our IT dept wondered what the hell was wrong with us, but manager refused to let us download them to a drive folder as this was “safer.” Manager was well paid but also incapable of managing a home renovation so contractors would fax liens to our shared printer. Manager was eventually promoted out.

In current dept I smile and share what I’m working on four times a week during short meetings and then they wander off to track metrics or whatever and forget I exist so I can work in peace. It owns.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I work in like mid level tech (so no Google, but not lovely local companies either) and the culture in most of those companies is progressive and kinda nice. Lots of good coffee and intelligent people with bad facial hair.

However... my wife worked in financial sales for a company managing hundreds of billions and hearing her stories was always fun including;

A fairly new start was dismissed because he was caught in the elevator at an afterwork party snorting coke off the bosses daughters cleavage (he wasn't the only one that evening participating in her cleavage-cocaine, but he was the only one caught).

A director handing over the corporate credit card to my wife and her team on a corporate event in London because he wanted to go have a threesome with some incredibly hot hookers he had just met. Told them to go wild so they booked the most expensive hotel suite they could find and ordered one of everything off the food/drink menu.

A fund manager who had a little breakdown, but was supposed to be delivering multiple millions of profit so he just started hiding all the bad news down the back of his desk. Pushing paperwork he didn't like down the 'forgetting slot' in the back of his desk. Had to be covered up because in a regulated environment that will get you in hefty amounts of trouble.

She really enjoyed the competitiveness of the environment right up to the moment she entirely broke down from the pressure and had to permanently retire for health issues (not just the mental health side, although that was definitely a major factor - her body just rebelled against being pushed that hard and decided to self destruct)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Most of my coworkers come from extremely wealthy, influential, connected families. Probably the richest coworker has a literal baroness for an aunt and the poorest has two accountants for parents.

I'm the only idiot who went into art without a trust fund.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
As a pubic(hehe) servant living in a small town I would describe my workplace culture as basically just like hit NBC series Parks and Rec

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Mildew

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm somewhere in between a social worker and a (temporary) foster carer for kids with developmental/behavioural issues who need more specialized care than most kids. Aside from things like severe adhd, autism, etc there's a whole lot of attachment disorders and often trauma involved.

While it's super rewarding work it's also very hard. Not just on a day to day basis but in the long run too. It's about as far from a 9 to 5 job you can get, because you care for these kids 24/7 when they live with you (or in my case, I have them for the weekend, school holidays, etc so the primary foster parents have a break.) The pay isn't bad but it won't ever make you rich. It's emotionally devestating at times because you have to deal with the most vulnerable and innocent having experienced the absolute worst and vile things imaginable.

So pretty much all the people I work with, that last at least, are passionate, strong and very capable people because that's what it takes. A large percentage of us got into this line of work because they've had a troubled past themselves which could be split into two types. There's the 'softer' type (like me) who have dealt with their own more personal trauma and want to use their experience to better the lives of others, and there's the 'harder' to who for example grew up on the streets and got out, and want to help others. No less traumatic, but still different.

Then there's the more academic types. Behavioural scientists, therapists, etc that support us day to day folk when needed and luckily I don't need to interact with them often, but when I do they're very caring, considerate and helpful because otherwise they wouldn't be in this job.

Hell, even management as far as I can tell are pretty nice people but I don't interact with them at all. I think I met my supervisor's boss once and I honestly wouldn't recognize them again.

Oh, I think I do have to mention this is in western Europe, because I know the system is all kinds of hosed up in other parts of the world.

I live in a house provided by my employer in a village where a lot of foster families are settled (there's I think 3 organisations here and some independents) with a lot of facilities to provides for these kids. Small sports center, arts and culture, special education, etc. Work culture is more of a village culture where everyone is kinda focused on the same thing.

It's really drat cool and I'm super grateful for having found my place here and I wouldn't trade it for any other job.

Some days are really loving rough where I have to work super hard and be super attentive every minute of the day, barely having time to take a piss (literally) but most days, especially now that I've been working here for a couple of years and built a relationship with the kids, it's just hanging out. Like today I showed off my new PS5 to a 13 and 14 year old kid and we gamed together, but also both of them had sports activities and went to a friend's house after so I had a couple of hours to just do my own thing while still getting paid.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm a professional goon. My boss is really riding my rear end about getting that QCS drama bomb thread ready in time for reopening.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol i wouldn't worry about timelines there op, let's just say you've got a lot of slack in the plan

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I work directly with a lot of property developers for a firm that handles projects for everyone from home renovators to big land developers. Oddly, most of my clients don't have horns. We absolutely brush shoulders with some big money clients, though. Some of them are cashed up blokey blokes who want to slam beers on a boat and eat steak and lobster while telling dick jokes. Some are sober asian businessmen who are very "buttoned up" and respectful of professional protocol. Its a mixed bag and part of my skillset involves communicating ever changing legislation to these people.

The culture is fast paced and commercially oriented. We get some nice perks like a holiday house in a very sought after location we can take a week off in at the company's expense, free trips for "team building" to some very nice locales, occasional afternoons deep sea fishing, good dinners, etc. We have generous leave allowances and whilst there is some "ribbing" if you're taking a lot of leave, nobody honestly cares as long as your files are covered.

There is a big focus on professional development. Our directors have our backs if anyone is being mistreated or disrespected by a developer. There is a healthy distaste for the public administrators at city council but its not nasty or toxic. At the end of the day we are collaborators. I've got to be a part of some cool projects that I really believe in (public transport, medical cannabis, gay bath-house, etc.) The tone around the office is pretty loose and the humor is sometimes on par with what I experienced as a chef, but now I can just throw my headphones in and focus on work when things are getting too immature/unfocused. Overall its good, its a tough environment and people are allowed to blow off a bit of steam here and there.

The craziest thing I've seen was one of our employees had a few too many rum and cokes and probably a few nose beers at a Christmas party and started going in on one of our clients as a "townhouse developer" or somesuch nonsense. The suggestion being that he handles a client load that is developing large commercial and industrial estates, and this guy was providing mid-tier housing (which we need heaps of btw). He was trying to be insulting and the guy didn't take it well, especially considering the drunk employee has a total of zero properties in his portfolio. He was quite rude and aggressive towards the client, who gave him a slap on the shoulder and basically said "pull your head in, mate, you're at work". Our employee ended up putting the developer in a headlock. It was loving wild. He wasn't fired but had to get on a conference call with our director and the client the next day to apologize. He also stopped attending work events and eventually resigned to go into real estate. loving real estate agents.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’ve watched a group of people who act performatively incompetent as a business strategy demonstrate actual incompetence, but also act as though pretending to be incompetent or knowing the definition of incompetence implies proficiency or knowledge of their job. They are very good at demonstrating they know what not to do, but possess no actual skill or ability that would qualify them for the position they are in. Also they are super racist and extremely hostile towards all Asians. So basically the perfect hire for any California business. :shrug:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm someone who almost got a degree, but ended up working in a machine shop. I never really experienced a workplace with academically trained folks, but the workplace filled with trade schoolers is less accepting of heterogeneity than uni was, and I feel it reflects in the workplace atmosphere.

To boot, my employer is one of the better ones in the machining business. He hired me, he hires refugees, he hires people with disabilities, he hires people who aren't white. All of that is a real exception amongst the machine shops in my part of the country.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Used to have a spittoon in every cubicle but now there's just one in the break room and it's overflowing and disgusting

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I work for one of the biggest financial institutions in the country. I worked for just short of 6 years in the mail /imaging department. Starting with mailroom junk then moving into a bunch of different admin roles.
The benefits and payed time off was great. The amount of work and pay though was awful. Always busy and making peanuts, while needing to come into the office in an expensive city to live because part of the work required physical mail.

I now work in a different department working on stuff related to pensions and its crazy how different it is with in the same company. I'm getting paid a bunch more and my new team has had a ton of free lunches and events during working hours. December was so dead that we got to leave early a lot. We're getting hosed because it's the new year now but the team I'm on is so incredibly helpful and full of lovely people that it's really not that bad.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the real attraction out here is that racist/ableist/literal nazi cops can come out here and live a lifestyle free of persecution because all the lazy piece of poo poo gangbangers live a sedentary bitchmade lifestyle with their thumbs up their rear end all day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I work in Japan for a company owned by foreigners. Its great.

I have a mandatory company curling day coming up. No work, we just have to curl, drinking optional but included.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are a lot of stupid and incompetent people with university degrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I work in web development:

• We spend 60% of our time agonizing over and over engineering a frontend stack for websites that will never go over 7 pages.
  • The other 40% of our time is spent fighting our enterprise .NET CMS we used to build said 7 page websites.
  • There is a big emphasis on drinking and hanging out outside of work. (i'm on the wagon)
  • In every quarterly meeting, without fail, the ceo of our company will say "i drive an hour and a half to the office and my wife is totally fine with it" as a reason everyone shouldn't work from home.