Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tip your bartender.

They'll give you free booze if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

from working as a server and bartender for a while...I freaking hate tip culture. Slow nights can ruin your week. Fights with the people making your schedule (which often times you don't really know ahead of time so cannot plan) can lead to being the bartender on a sunday during church. Favoritism with the hostess can lead to never being sat or having a bad section. Lastly, there are so many people that just plain do not tip that monopolize your time. Restaurants are cutting people in back of house like dishwashers and preppers because they expect the rest of the staff to make up for that so in addition to tables you often have to do dishes as well. On slow nights this isn't so much of a problem, but when it is busy and you have tables that need your attention it can lead to some poor outcomes. It also leads to quite a bit of resentment. People often say that you should find a better job. If it was out there for people in that circumstance I am sure they would.

Honestly, I hope that tipping just gets stopped and only happens when exceptional service is offered. I hate it. The conversation has been had so many times and it comes down to the fact that restaurant owners, by that I mean mostly chain restaurants, have lobbied to ensure that we keep a lower minimum wage for those that are deemed tipped employees which ensures that this will continue. It would be so much better to have money that you could rely on with actual healthcare. Many people in this field have children that may need medication or diapers and after a slow night walking out with sixty bucks you may not be able to afford diapers, gas, and dinner for the family.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I only tip with fake bills that unfold to deliver Christian messages. This is definitely the best way to make people receptive to my religious proselytizing.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Yes, yes BUT don’t you feel free?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I’m America I’m free to literally not pay somebody for their labor as a consumer, can just say nah and make somebody wait on me for two hours

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I worked at a golf course in high school, and the tips would all go to the boss for "laundry". One time an employee asked how much laundry could possibly cost. That guy got fired. :911:

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

N. Senada posted:

Yes, yes BUT don’t you feel free?

No. I feel like some sort of guy that works for no money.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I tip well because I believe in service karma.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I don't tip because tipping is a scam by the business owners to get consumers to subsidize employee wages.

Sorry service workers this is the only way to effect change

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you can afford to eat out, a very rich man bourgeoisie activity, you can afford to pay more.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

the only way to effect change is very different than starving already starving people. It is going to take some serious labor action to effect any sort of change in this capitalist dystopia in which the costs of empire are foisted upon the middle and lower class.

Its not hard to just be reasonable. Unfortunately, the reasonable action of moving away from a tip based system seems so far off.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I live in the UK so I don’t tip anyone ever

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
If a café has one of those Square tip options ask the cashier if they actually see any of that. More often than not they don't.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Extra Large Marge posted:

If a café has one of those Square tip options ask the cashier if they actually see any of that. More often than not they don't.

this. Same with the tip jar that is sitting by the register. Always ask. If they don't just keep a five dollar or ten dollar bill in your pocket and just slip it to them. That might be the difference in them eating that night considering what most restaurant employees get paid.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Here's a tip: put a pinch of sage in your boot.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you can afford to eat out, a very rich man bourgeoisie activity, you can afford to pay more.

If you can afford to open a business you can afford to pay your staff.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you can afford to eat out

One guy paid 600 dollars and his wife didn’t even let him be in the same bed

No way I can afford cunnilingus at these rates

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Each time I open a thread I put a nice, crisp stack of dollar bills on my desk and remove one each time I see a bad post. I'm sorry to say that this post officially puts it in the negative and now you owe me a tip for reading the thread.

also lmao at tipping for a bottle of water

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ManBoyChef posted:

from working as a server and bartender for a while...I freaking hate tip culture. Slow nights can ruin your week. Fights with the people making your schedule (which often times you don't really know ahead of time so cannot plan) can lead to being the bartender on a sunday during church. Favoritism with the hostess can lead to never being sat or having a bad section. Lastly, there are so many people that just plain do not tip that monopolize your time. Restaurants are cutting people in back of house like dishwashers and preppers because they expect the rest of the staff to make up for that so in addition to tables you often have to do dishes as well. On slow nights this isn't so much of a problem, but when it is busy and you have tables that need your attention it can lead to some poor outcomes. It also leads to quite a bit of resentment. People often say that you should find a better job. If it was out there for people in that circumstance I am sure they would.

Honestly, I hope that tipping just gets stopped and only happens when exceptional service is offered. I hate it. The conversation has been had so many times and it comes down to the fact that restaurant owners, by that I mean mostly chain restaurants, have lobbied to ensure that we keep a lower minimum wage for those that are deemed tipped employees which ensures that this will continue. It would be so much better to have money that you could rely on with actual healthcare. Many people in this field have children that may need medication or diapers and after a slow night walking out with sixty bucks you may not be able to afford diapers, gas, and dinner for the family.

good thing you got these altruistic folks out there who refuse to tip rather than boycott the immoral business altogether in order to crush capitalism or whatever

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

AARD VARKMAN posted:

My local weed shop got the ability to take cards and it takes you to a screen with giant 16% / 18% / 20% tip buttons. I'm going to go back to using the atm lol

You rear end in a top hat. You're what's wrong with the world. I should be able to support my family of 4 on budtender wages this is BULLSHIT

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

although no i wouldn't tip for a bottle of water

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm so poor I don't even go to places where tipping is expected.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

although no i wouldn't pay for a bottle of water

fixed

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
In America you have tipping in the uk we have food banks is there really a difference

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Cabal Ties posted:

In America you have tipping in the uk we have food banks is there really a difference

We got food banks here and the same people that you tip are likely using them. The problem is owners of businesses that pay less than minimum wage because "they will get tips to make up for it"

The real problem is businesses lobbying congress with a portion of their income and using their workers for more because that would cut into their second or third vacation home.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

If there's a tip line and you don't tip, you're a bitch

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

tip culture is poo poo obviously and on principle yes you grow up thinking "I am tipping for a service provided so if I just buy a water I'm not gonna tip" but things have changed since you were 15. Grow up and fork over 15 percent for your water bottle you freaks.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Doc Fission posted:

If there's a tip line and you don't tip, you're a bitch

Okay 👍. Start tipping at the gas station that uses an ipad for transactions on your bag of peanuts.

hamilton
Mar 14, 2009

WRONG TURN ASSHOLE
I wish I knew if the people at dispensaries got paid a tippable hourly wage or not.

Also I'm too high to remember if Tippable Wage is real thing

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

hamilton posted:

I wish I knew if the people at dispensaries got paid a tippable hourly wage or not.

Also I'm too high to remember if Tippable Wage is real thing

no one selling you weed is making sub minimum wage. That would take a law. They are not waiters.

hamilton
Mar 14, 2009

WRONG TURN ASSHOLE

Wendigee posted:

no one selling you weed is making sub minimum wage. That would take a law. They are not waiters.

I dunno it's all pretty shady with banks and stuff still.

Do the people even really exist?

Also will people tip their AI Robot bar tenders?

And what about owners who keep all the tips for themselves because they don't pay tippable wage. You aren't even tipping the person might as well tip the robot.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i tip my bartender because they make me drinks and keep the place happy and they get paid sub-par wages... while i spend a couple hours there on a friday night.

I'm not tipping some shithead who works at a gas station for a bottle of water or a bag of peanuts when they already make more than minimum wage and I have <1 minute of contact with me.

same reason im not tipping a person a the sandwich shop i stood in for 5 minutes while they make me a sub. They don't earn waitress money.

I would say the earn minimum wage, but around here they make more than that because theirs a drought of workers. Time to pay them right and gently caress you for trying to make me cover your costs. Lots of those ipad tips don't even go to employees.

Sell the third home. The tax decrease will cover it and your "employees" might stop hating you and looking for other jobs.

See costco.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The only way to fix this is for the government to make tipping illegal until it gets out of our culture. This is now my number one single issue voter topic.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Doc Fission posted:

tip culture is poo poo obviously and on principle yes you grow up thinking "I am tipping for a service provided so if I just buy a water I'm not gonna tip" but things have changed since you were 15. Grow up and fork over 15 percent for your water bottle you freaks.

is this a real post or

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Doc Fission posted:

Wot

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I love tipping.

If anyone happens to bump into me they get showered with single dollar bills

Im basically a human pinata

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Doc Fission posted:

dumb motherfucker right here

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TIP CULTURE IS poo poo OBVIOUSLY AND ON PRINCIPLE YES YOU GROW UP THINKING "I AM TIPPING FOR A SERVICE PROVIDED SO IF I JUST BUY A WATER I'M NOT GONNA TIP" BUT THINGS HAVE CHANGED SINCE YOU WERE 15. GROW UP AND FORK OVER 15 PERCENT FOR YOUR WATER BOTTLE YOU FREAKS.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I love tipping.

If anyone happens to bump into me they get showered with single dollar bills

Im basically a human pinata

I like giving money to Charity but she hasn't been at Obsesions in a few months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Doc Fission posted:

Doc, you forget your vitamins?