Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
be sure to tip your local Kroger manager when you buy a dozen eggs. a 5er should cover your 10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tips given in cash directly to the worker both lift up the downtrodden while bribing them for better service. Charity, on the other hand, typically tends to support corrupt church adjacent hierarchy with all the implications while supporting inequality on a global scale. The government should be taking care of that poo poo, you aren't helping by making it easier for them not to do it.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Oh ya wan'a tip baby a'right well listen okay; join a union, start some fyiers, u know what am saying?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

be sure to tip your local Kroger manager when you buy a dozen eggs. a 5er should cover your 10%

Tip the delivery truck driver in the back of Krogers when they arrive in the morning. Maybe a few dozen eggs got “lost in transit.” ;)

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I like to tip generously, even for minimal service, as long as the service workers are actually getting the tip. I'm not going to punish them because their employer is poo poo.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Restaurant: yes
Bar: yes
Takeout: maybe a dollar or two if I like the place
Everybody else can gently caress off

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What about the yeti

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I was at a comedy club years ago and they had a two item minimum but I wasn't drinking nor was I hungry so I just ordered bottled waters to satisfy the requirement. The server was visibly irritated with this, and me, because he thought I wasn't going to tip. I did tip, in fact, as if I'd ordered food and real drinks, even though the guy was lovely about it

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Smugworth posted:

TIP CULTURE IS poo poo OBVIOUSLY AND ON PRINCIPLE YES YOU GROW UP THINKING "I AM TIPPING FOR A SERVICE PROVIDED SO IF I JUST BUY A WATER I'M NOT GONNA TIP" BUT THINGS HAVE CHANGED SINCE YOU WERE 15. GROW UP AND FORK OVER 15 PERCENT FOR YOUR WATER BOTTLE YOU FREAKS.

Yes, thank you for your vehement agreement. You can drink from the tap if you disagree

Not tipping doesn't constitute a stance on tip culture, at least not one an employer will give a poo poo about or that will impact the conversation around regular people having to subsidize each other's wages all the time. Take a chance on the $ ending up in the pocket of a dude behind a cash register who is almost certainly having a worse day than you IMO

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Doc, you forget your vitamins?

I am, however, willing to concede this is true

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
What about baristas? I usually tip them pretty well since they're forcedly cheerful, dressed interestingly and put even more effort into interaction than most servers. Not at Starbucks though, if you force me into a chain coffee place I pay with the app.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Last time I got probed I went ahead and kicked Seth a couple bucks. He got me fair and square and did it honorably

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I tip high for waitstaff/bartenders and usually like 15 percent on takeout. I make enough and enough people are assholes that I feel like throwing a bit of extra cash when i can seems fair

Counter service tho? Eh. A buck or two. Maybe more if I get something complicated.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

KitConstantine posted:

Counter service tho? Eh. A buck or two. Maybe more if I get something complicated.

$1 for a water bottle, $3 for a sparkling water bottle. :hai:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

$1 for a water bottle, $3 for a sparkling water bottle. :hai:

Putting those bubbles in seems like it'd be complicated

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Wendigee posted:

i tip my bartender because they make me drinks and keep the place happy and they get paid sub-par wages... while i spend a couple hours there on a friday night.

I'm not tipping some shithead who works at a gas station for a bottle of water or a bag of peanuts when they already make more than minimum wage and I have <1 minute of contact with me.

same reason im not tipping a person a the sandwich shop i stood in for 5 minutes while they make me a sub. They don't earn waitress money.

I would say the earn minimum wage, but around here they make more than that because theirs a drought of workers. Time to pay them right and gently caress you for trying to make me cover your costs. Lots of those ipad tips don't even go to employees.

Sell the third home. The tax decrease will cover it and your "employees" might stop hating you and looking for other jobs.

See costco.

the fed is actually raising interest rates again to punish labor and take away power from them.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

i always tip between 3800%-4000%, depending on the cup size of the employee (regardless of gender). anything less is really just rude at this point - if you can't afford it, you can't afford to buy a candy bar at the gas station! I don't make the rules!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you were paying the true environmental and social cost of that candy bar maybe it would be $100, makes you think!

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you can afford to eat out, a very rich man bourgeoisie activity, you can afford to pay more.

I really can't wait until nobody can afford to eat out anymore and all the restaurants go under and people who don't know how to cook all die of hunger. Gonna be loving rad.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Decedent posted:

What about baristas? I usually tip them pretty well since they're forcedly cheerful, dressed interestingly and put even more effort into interaction than most servers. Not at Starbucks though, if you force me into a chain coffee place I pay with the app.

You can tip with the Starbucks app, even like 10 minutes after the transaction which is sort of cool. Be cooler if they just paid people more.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

CameronisGod posted:

I really can't wait until nobody can afford to eat out anymore and all the restaurants go under and people who don't know how to cook all die of hunger. Gonna be loving rad.

Who will know how to cook all the line cooks were working for the restaurants that failed

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Goons have collectively really wild ideas about wealth. Like, buying lunch is a rich man's luxury but also anyone on less than 150k a year hyper educated engineering salaries is in crushing poverty

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
Any time I interact with someone on the job I palm a pre-folded bill, shake their hand hard, and wont let go or break eye contact until I'm finished explaining that their coworkers are either a boon or a detrement to their race

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
tipping keeps the poors from destructing property

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Strategic Tea posted:

Goons have collectively really wild ideas about wealth. Like, buying lunch is a rich man's luxury but also anyone on less than 150k a year hyper educated engineering salaries is in crushing poverty

making programmers feel guilty is praxis

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Apparently goons largely make north of 100k and don't tip lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I tip people by telling them to suck a male camel's dick.

With or without miracle whip, or hoisin sauce.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Here a tip go to a coding boot camp and learn React scrub

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You drank all my Arizona,
That wasn’t very fairizona.
I wouldn’t even careizona,
If you was just a funky stona.

:rznv: :slick:

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I forgot to tip the weed delivery guy today and felt real bad about it

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Colonel Cancer posted:

Apparently goons largely make north of 100k and don't tip lmao

anything south of 300k is for high schoolers

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

Squack McQuack posted:

I forgot to tip the weed delivery guy

all of my nearby weed stores are all in far away industrial districts which, after sunset, have a nice spooky-abandoned capitalism secret-shop effect

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SideEffectShit posted:

anything south of 300k is for high schoolers

What, like a day? :thunk:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

Here a tip go to a coding boot camp and learn React scrub

my wife did this and it resulted in zero coding jobs because they all want 5 years coding work experience. i've asked nerds and they say "she should volunteer on some-" and i'm like "let me stop you right there. "

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

my wife did this and it resulted in zero coding jobs because they all want 5 years coding work experience. i've asked nerds and they say "she should volunteer on some-" and i'm like "let me stop you right there. "

Truth be told breaking in is the hard part
this thread is a good resource

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

in 2023 both of these things are true

today I paid $20 for a bowl of ramen

Laterite fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 10, 2023

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Nuts and Gum posted:

You can tip with the Starbucks app, even like 10 minutes after the transaction which is sort of cool. Be cooler if they just paid people more.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-Thailand.html

No.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
If I'm buying a bottle of water I probably tip the same as if I am getting a coffee or something, which is "zero to two dollars" depending on if I'm at a gas station vs some place not required to pay minimum wage

legal weed means that when big box deliveries or service guys etc come, I can offer weed as a first pass without being sketched about it. I have about a 90% hit rate of people saying "hell yes I will take some weed", and also in at least one case where they said nah they also refused a cash tip, flashed me a big grin and said "we're the owners, giving us more than we charge you isn't gonna get you better service" :shrug:

It's a lot better for me to give someone a quarter ounce than to give them 20 bux, and that's generally true in the other direction. God bless 2023

e: has anyone ever tried tipping a weed delivery person.... with weed? I guess the economic model breaks down if you're paying for weed vs growing it for ~$10/oz.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

That wasn’t through the app, which limits your purchase to whatever amount is preloaded :smug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It is utter bullshit that in many US states people can be paid less than minimum wage if they get tips. If you want to make a statement, push back on that bullshit, don't not tip employees.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

I tip excessively, but apparently am one of the few goons making less than $100k a year so I must be destitute. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bragging about being a big tipper lmao jfc