Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

(BD is short for Brain Dance and you will get this after this episode, I promise)

When the people who made the Witcher games, CD Projekt Red, announced they were going to start on a new franchise based on a tabletop RPG there was...not a lot of hype. This was 2013, Witcher 3 was still two years away and all anyone had to go on was a CGI teaser trailer.
Witcher 2 was good, but nothing that set the world on fire, so no one knew how to really take this announcement. Even among Tabletop enthusiasts Cyberpunk isn't exactly a major player (more on that later). Almost Prophetically, at the end of the trailer the words "COMING: WHEN IT'S READY" appear on screen and that's all anyone had on the game for quite some time. Witcher 3 came out and I think there was a general amnesia that this trailer ever happened after it became a mega success.

Short diversion on CDPR's Witcher games: Every one of them is different from the others in major ways. The first game is straight on played like Knights of the Old Republic. The second has a lot more direct control, but still defaults to some behind the scene dice rolls. Witcher 3 is a straight on ARPG in the vein of Skyrim or Kingdom of Amalur (if we have to keep the 3rd Person theme going that's the one that comes to mind). CDPR did a great job of learning and adapting over time, but everyone looked at their track record and expected a more refined Witcher 3 from Cyberpunk 2077 (you really can't shorten the name of the game to CP, as I just realized). After all, Cyberpunk was a tabletop game long before anyone tried to make it a video game, and a whole dimension of the game was Rule of Cool/Style over Substance. You needed to see your character's fit in action! Imagine people's surprise when 2077 videos start popping up and it's a straight on "never leave first person" game.

2077 kept building hype, despite the seemingly odd choice of perspective. More detailed looks at the modifications, RPG elements and environments of the game sold people. Witcher 3 being a fantastic game helped send expectations into the stratosphere for CDPR's next game, and CDPR did a great job of fueling hype when they announced Keanu Reeves would be one of the main voice actors in the game, coming in as Johnny Silverhand, a person I think literally no one (including me) knew was a character in the RPG setting until they checked on the internet because have you ever actually loving heard of the Cyberpunk Tabletop RPG until this game? Mike Pondsmith is a real person, that is not a name I just made up. Reeves would figure heavily into the advertising for the game leading up to the expected launch date, getting into Johnny Silverhand's iconic Porche (which I guess is A Thing) and welcoming you to Night City. Run The Jewels and others made exclusive songs for the game. Journalists playing at shows came away saying that if CDPR pulls things off that 2020 will be the year Cyberpunk.

I don't really want to spend a ton of time on what happened next. Suffice it to say there was a delay because 2020. The internet is a toxic place and death threats were made to members of CDPR's staff over this delay. 2077 released in a broken and buggy state that led to class action lawsuits. There's a whole thing about the quality testing firm CDPR used basically not being up to the task, but clearly the "WHEN IT'S READY" line should have been the first sentence in the 2077 design documents because...ouch. A ton of promised content for 2077 got delayed or outright canceled as CDPR tried to make things right. Even now, three years after release, they have still not released a paid DLC despite multiple being planned before the game came out. The thing to note in all this is that the underlying functions and systems in the game are actually REALLY GOOD and if it was less of a mess by the end of the year I think it would have made a ton of Best Of lists for 2020. Don't ask me to put a finger on it. Something about the setting, acting, characters, story and combat add up and make the game a great time. I legit put over 100 hours into it in 2020 in it's broken state and then put another 30 hours into it over two weeks trying to make sure I knew what I was doing and still have never finished the game. There's a lot here and it's so good you lose yourself. CDPR has won a bunch of Labor of Love Steam Game awards for the work they put in fixing this thing and I'm extremely here for it.

This is going to be something of a Hybrid. I plan on doing a ton of streaming as I handle side missions and such. The main story of the game will be almost all pre-recorded, so things may get jumbled. I plan on moving everything to YouTube, so some of the videos you see will be unedited streams. The reason the main story will be YouTube only (and we can consult on this) is that things happen and I want to give people a chance to shape V a little bit. There will be polls and requests for thoughts here, like how V converses or how V would approach situations, and that will inform the steam/side content. The one exception, and if you made it through the "THE GAME" wall of text above this is for you, is the opening sequence where the V backstory and base traits are going to get determined. We'll also hit some decision points where I WILL actually leave it up to the stream, but I'll highlight those before we get there every time and set up a poll before and then see what the stream (if anyone shows up) says.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So this was a complete surprise of a thread. Next week we'll actually try to bring people in.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I played this relatively close to launch, and had a generally good time doing so. I’m eager to see what’s changed since then!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

theenglishman posted:

I played this relatively close to launch, and had a generally good time doing so. I’m eager to see what’s changed since then!

A good deal, actually. The Edgerunners anime series (which everyone with a Netflix account or password from a friend should watch) inspired some items and before that a couple content packs dropped.

I streamed for a couple hours today, but no one watched, which is fine considering I haven't bothered with streaming in a couple years and needed to get poo poo right. How about we set up a time where people are available to make decisions on what V looks like and their backstory in the next week?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Couple notes today:

First, I'll start streaming at 3PM EST for character creation and opening sequence stuff. I'll post the video to YouTube later, so if you miss the stream you should be OK for the rest of the thread.

Second: I realized that hoping people in a stream will make decisions relies on there being people and those people need to have time to actually sit through a stream. The last thing I want to do is sit around with no one watching and not being able to actually start things off. With that in mind, I've created a few polls for people to vote on the major early choices, that being character creation and backstory. Luckily, the options at this stage are kind of limited and we can adjust some things later. The major one is the Backstory for V as it will change the opening sequence as well as unlock some dialog options once the game starts up in full.

Choose between Streetrat, Nomad and Corpo. I've never actually done streetrat, but the Corpo and Nomad openings both have their moments and I don't mind doing either again.

The next two options are going to be interesting. 2077 gives you the option to mix and match body and voice options; when you select a female body type you can use the male voice and vice versa. This created some controversy because CDPR explicitly stated this was their way letting you make a transgender character and current political discourse has not been super great around trans people for the last couple years. Select V's body type here and we can modify their appearance later, for now I'm just going to use a randomizer so to not overwhelm the thread with polls about dick size or whatever. Select V's voice type here. It should be stated that neither body or voice effect V's other stats.

Finally, we need to talk about point distribution. This is more about where you want to see me focus early on and will determine the way I will/can approach some things. There are five categories to put points towards, as you put points into these categories new perks and abilities start to open up within their trees. I'm going to be selecting those as time goes on because they are hell to explain, but I'll give you the option on if V is charging in swinging fists or sneaking around choking people out and shooting them while they are unaware. The categories are:

Body: Basically strength. It has three subcategories "Annihilation" is mostly built around boosting shotgun and light machine gun damage and skills, "Athletics" is a stamina and melee combat stat that matches up with "Street Brawler" which is more focused on the blocking and striking side of close quarters combat.

Reflexes is your dexterity stat. The branches here are pretty self explanatory, with "Blades" and "Handguns" being pretty clear in what the stats in there enhance. "Assault" is covers the other firearms not already mentioned, SMGs and Assault Rifles and deeper into the path you start getting some options for sniper rifle improvements.

Technical Ability is an interesting category in that it is more about building and salvaging stuff. "Crafting" unlocks blueprints and gives you some benefits to consumable use. "Engineering" is fun because it effects things like Smart and Tech weapons as well as your stats against robots and mechs, along with materials you pull from those enemy types.

Cool is something like your stealth score. "Ninjitsu" give you some stealth combat abilities and options like a drop down stealth attack. "Cold Blood" is a conditional set of stats. The main feature is the node "Cold Blood" that at level one provides you with a stack of that condition for seven seconds. It provides some base level bonuses, but the stars here are uncovered as you get further into the tree. Some are passive so long as you have cold blood active while others straight consume stacks to give you a bonus of some nature. It's one of those things that you need to drop some serious points into before it's super useful, but some of the passives are just good enough to be worth the time

Finally, Intelligence is the hack stat. "Breach Protocol" is a free to use quick hack that can give you different benefits depending on what you have unlocked on the tree, like shutting down cameras or turrets. "Quick Hack" is all about the strength and effects. As you work through this tree your hacks will take less time and components as well as do more damage or effect higher level enemies. Really worth putting some points into as hacks are really important.

Vote here to select which direction you want to see V go in for a little while at least. I'll try to keep the top vote getters as the priority categories for a while, but can't afford to ignore the others forever, so may be dropping points in non-winning categories over time.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Going live now and kicking off the new character in about 20 minutes. Just dicking around until then

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The game never appealed to me, so I'll be glad to follow the LP!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Here we go. I pulled numbers and we're playing a female body/voice Corpo character focusing on Body and Cool stats. This presents some...fun options because it means I'll be proficient in shotguns and...stealth? I have some plans to make this work and it involves Mantis Blades. This opening episode takes us through the character backstory and the tutorial mission that every character sees, which I play in character despite usually loving it up by stealthing that poo poo. As I say in the video, I'm glad people chose the Corpo start to the game because it has such a great introduction to Night City. The flight from an ivory tower to a dive bar is the ideal way to convey the level of disparity in the city to the player that the Nomad start couldn't possibly manage. I also like how Jackie comes off in this opening, being the player's street level guy who is concerned for them despite their vastly different circumstances. In the Nomad start he and V are very unsure of each other to begin with and their friendship is a little less organic post opening sequence.

The plan going forward is to do a lot of the side content as streams and most of the remaining story as videos; you can see why I want to not risk streaming a lot of the story content when the sound cuts out due to the licensed music in the background for a few minutes. I thought the game's "streamer mode" was going to fix a lot of that, but here we are. I'll post polls from time to time when relevant to determine some directions for the story and where we go next, but for a little while we have to stay a bit on rails. I do want some thoughts on how V approaches things; her stats are saying she's more built for stealth and hand to hand/close range fighting, but the character is undefined. Does V rush to take out random gangsters? Does she help the cops (for profit, of course)? Does she steal cars or call her own? Basically, what do you want V to be? I was a little inspired from the corpo opening to play her as a bit of an addict or alcoholic for the time being. It may end up getting me killed at times, but it's not an approach I often take with characters. No real poll on that, we'll just see what people say and how I feel if there isn't a prevailing mood.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The uh, game sound is a bit high compared to your commentary.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, the video is mostly fine but whenever the game is playing intentionally loud music it's an issue (the start of the video in particular).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Stealth shotgun to the face.

Edit: Cold blood is op.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh hey, a Lazyfire LP!

I'm going to try and follow along, but I'm not much into Streams, and videos longer than 45 minutes don't really work for me. But still. I'm gonna try. Because it's you.

I really wanted to try out Cyberpunk 2077, but I didn't want to spend money on it until I got a computer that could run it. Still haven't because life gets in the way, but I'm eager to see if it's worth my while. Thanks to you, I know that I wouldn't have enjoyed playing Cal's adventure (not because it's a bad game, it's just not my thing), but this might be more my speed.

Something to look forward to, I guess.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Polsy posted:

Yeah, the video is mostly fine but whenever the game is playing intentionally loud music it's an issue (the start of the video in particular).

True story: I tested this out a week before and did a couple test recordings to make sure things worked and this was the best I came up with for streaming. The game's music is aggressively loud at almost all times and OBS doesn't do auto-ducking. The recorded videos will be a bit better as I can post-produce those, so the next few should be in a much better state. I don't think there will be another stream of this character for a couple weeks as there's a lot of railroading for a while and I want to move the story to a specific point before tackling non-story missions.

painedforever posted:

Oh hey, a Lazyfire LP!

I'm going to try and follow along, but I'm not much into Streams, and videos longer than 45 minutes don't really work for me. But still. I'm gonna try. Because it's you.

I really wanted to try out Cyberpunk 2077, but I didn't want to spend money on it until I got a computer that could run it. Still haven't because life gets in the way, but I'm eager to see if it's worth my while. Thanks to you, I know that I wouldn't have enjoyed playing Cal's adventure (not because it's a bad game, it's just not my thing), but this might be more my speed.

Something to look forward to, I guess.

I played the game at launch with an underpowered CPU (as made clear by the first episodes of Jedi vs. the last episodes) and a 2070. I'm recording this on a PC with an overclocked CPU and a 3080 along with 32GB of RAM. Max settings for every option are still not considered "optimal" by the game despite running on hardware that wasn't even available when it was published. CDPR did the same thing with Witcher 3 and people gave them enough of a pass that they tried the same stunt here. The thing about this game is that I pumped over 100 hours into it during the broken stages (and I'll talk about some of that as the LP goes on) and did maybe half the campaign. Night City is just fun to drive around and take on side missions or fight random gang members. There's a weird mix of Mass Effect and Bethesda-era-Fallout at play that compel me to keep wandering around doing things and trying new strategies.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Stealth shotgun to the face.

Edit: Cold blood is op.

So my thought is to just stack Cold Blood perks and focus on knife/edged weapon stats for a minute and basically make V a 15 year old playing the original Modern Warfare 2 as she runs around stabbing everyone. Once I can afford it I would add the Sandy and the Mantis blades while making sure I couldn't be knocked over. It should allow for good stealth and then when combat is required I should be able to rush without being subject to V's general squishiness. Shotguns would be for crowd control or for thinning herds.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Oh hey a new LP for a game that I'm actually interested in! I was super interested in this before release but then launch was a train wreck, my computer is never good enough for gaming, and my PS4 only just got set up after being packed for 3 years. I am awful at stealth in games which means I'm obligated to ask you to show it off.

I've never watched someone stream aside from GDQ twice a year, but if I know when it's coming I'll try to pay attention.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This video ends up being a lot of world introduction and character stuff and not a lot of combat or exploration. We'll get more of that next time around and start to see some of the limitations of a low level character stressing two not super congruent attribute areas. One of the things about the early part of the game is that you very much are limited in what choices you have, weapons you can use and even areas you can go to. It's unlikely you'll have super high stats in anything that matters to unlock tech or intelligence dialog options and you are quite literally not allowed to leave the area of the city we're in for this video for a bit. We're going to be mainlining story stuff for quite a while because of that.

One thing that really bugs me about the game, especially this early on, is that you are CONSTANTLY getting calls and texts as characters introduce themselves, offer you work or send you details about jobs. I had like 14 messages built up at one point before doing the marquee early mission just because I was getting multiple of everything at the same time. The menus are also a little annoying in that you can't just go to Journal or Inventory menu to get at subsections of those categories, you need to go to the main Character menu to get to some things. Really frustrating to the point where I've forgotten where to find all the found reading material and had to Google "Cyberpunk Shard Menu" to find the answer. I also think the game does a terrible job explaining crafting and upgrading. The game tells you that upgrading is possible, but there's no tutorial or single button prompt or even answer on where that menu is. It could lead you to discarding or storing a gun that just needs a little attention, which can be annoying.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I don't mind this video being more background than action, but I'm the sort of person who paused to read every lore display in the other games I've seen from you. Character and world details are awesome.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Some more story to start things off, but then we get what I think is the best early game fight sequence. There's a couple reasons I rank it highly, the major point being that you can approach it from a few different directions and there's a chance to vary your style between areas. If you find stealth too boring or slow you can try going guns blazing without much issue and then switching to quickhack focused methods of clearing rooms or distracting enemies. I think stealth in this game is pretty well refined and is sometimes the superior option, but this early in the game you don't have the hacking capacity to turn off the cameras and distract enemies away from each other at a fast enough rate to be useful. Hiding enemy bodies is also a bit of a pain in this particular fight because while there ARE plenty of boxes they are spread out and/or not in convenient spots. I could choke them out wherever and move them to a container, but if you do things right enemies shouldn't find their downed friends before you get to them in most of these areas. It'll happen, but usually only if you are in a dense place and forgot about someone.

A note about weapons in this game: I always keep a shotgun in my quick swap weapons list and usually at least one melee weapon. With this build those two weapon types are going to be extra good. Shotguns in 2077 used to be just completely broken. You'll notice that if you hit someone with a blast at close range they'll fall over and take time to get up. You can then melee or get a couple extra shots in on them for a quick finish. The trade off was supposed to be that the knock down effect only triggers sometimes against human enemies and there are ways they can be made immune to it and you needed to be pretty close to have it happen, meaning you were likely taking a couple shots to get in range. Overall, the balance isn't bad, you aren't going to beat a bunch of overpowered enemies hoping to get those easy kills on prone enemies. When the game came out, however, the math was different because shotguns could knock basically everyone over in one hit from pretty far away AND enemies could trip over each other. Invading a gang stronghold and luring them into a hallway led to some really funny moments where you'd knock one guy over and three other gangsters would fall over the guy in their rush to get to you. If you had a decent melee weapon you could kill an entire chapter of Tyger Claws with a single shotgun shell and some close range work. I didn't realize this wasn't an intentional thing until they patched it out. I miss guys just launching themselves down a staircase because their friend got blasted a few seconds earlier.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

How would the meeting with Royce have gone if we paid with the bugged chip?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The bugged chip fries the Maelstrom netrunner's brain and you have a choice to help the gang fight off the horde of Militech dudes that show up or do what Lazyfire did and kill everyone.
My last full run I went total hacking ninja rear end in a top hat and it basically breaks the game over your netrunning knee.
Night City and the rest of the 2077 map is one of my favorite open world maps second to RDR2, I enjoyed just driving around a lot more than I anticipated. Aside from the hilarious traffic bugs of course.
EDIT: Realized I didnt make it more clear.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 4, 2023

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The funniest part of the 21k up front payment option, even if you pay it, the game doesn't act like you did and just goes on like it was on your tab.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh man, such a long video!

Still, pretty worth it.

Man, I really want to play this game. There's so many different ways that I want to play this.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

DreadUnknown posted:

Night City and the rest of the 2077 map is one of my favorite open world maps second to RDR2, I enjoyed just driving around a lot more than I anticipated. Aside from the hilarious traffic bugs of course.
EDIT: Realized I didnt make it more clear.

i played this for 80 hours on release. at least 40 of them were me riding my motorcycles around and finding cool poo poo to do in photo mode. the map is really great.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I keep meaning to make more videos per week and then only manage to get one out. I'm going to be out of state all of next week, so things will slow down even more then.

Braindances don't play a HUGE role in the game, but they come in on multiple missions in both the side stuff and the main campaign. They are as much a puzzle as you will see in the game, one that gives you all the hints possible and gives you plenty of leeway to figure things out. I love the presentation and the look of things all the same. Instead of guiding you on a long cutscene the game gives you a chance to piece things together and see stuff that would have been awkward for the game to just give you directly. All that said, our first encounter with a BD is the training session I skipped. The insane thing is that the training sequence and the experience we get that moves the story along basically teach you the same thing. I had run through the training just a few weeks ago while planning the LP and it's seriously a 10 minute time sink that doesn't do anything for you.

The other cool part here is we get to see some of the bigger figures of Night City up close. Adam Smasher is a legend, Arasaka is a prince of the city. V and Jackie are so far away from rubbing elbows with those kind of people they may as well be on the moon. Smasher especially is one of those figures you need to see to believe. While most everyone we meet in this game has some upgrades, Smasher is all upgrades.

This is a long one because I do get distracted easily in this game. I'll try to tell you where to cut stuff out like I do here when I can, but the weird conspiracy theory DJ on the rock radio channel is great and a fun listen if you have the time.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

For the hacking part with an early deck, going backwards when trying to figure it out helps me a lot.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Are you gonna get all the free cars? Theres a couple really good ones you can find out and around.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

For the hacking part with an early deck, going backwards when trying to figure it out helps me a lot.

In the next couple episodes we're going to get to "I've never seen such bullshit" levels on these that even that idea won't be able to counter. I've never run a low tech/int character and I think that makes some of the hacking harder than it would normally be.

DreadUnknown posted:

Are you gonna get all the free cars? Theres a couple really good ones you can find out and around.

I'll never say no to free cars in this game. Having a variety of cars/motorcycles to call up is nice and I have more important things to spend money on in this game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gently caress it, we're going live in five. Just to gently caress around and perhaps find out.

https://twitch.tv/bromanjenkins

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I was going to come here and complain how long 2077 takes to really open up, we won't be done with being railroaded for another couple videos, at which point we can do whatever we want. I was going to complain, but I played Yakuza: Like a Dragon for a portion of this weekend and there were multiple HOURS in a row that didn't require a single input from the player. There's something to be said about building up the world and story, especially in a game like 2077 where there's a lot of density to work through before you can get to the main action and a need to introduce some characters and mechanics. I guess I'm more keyed to think of western RPGs coming in like Skyrim or something: 10 minutes of cutscene and another ten of introducing you to the mechanics and then sending you off on your own. 2077 is a more complicated game than most of what Bethesda has put out, so it needs a bit longer needle to pierce the skin and get players injected into the the systems. It's not that you don't get more stuff thrown at you, like smart weapons or types of quickhacks, but you have everything you need to be successful by the time the game takes the training wheels off.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I remember if you want to have an easier time with hacking stuff you want a deck with a lot of buffer size, the Stephenson Tech Mk.2 is pretty solid for stuff like that and it's not a huge investment early on.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

After this, the preamble is over and we're into the meat of the game. Yes, there's a lot of cutscene in the next two videos before we can do anything, but we've more or less hit all the important world introductions and story setups as well as tried out most of the basic mechanics. I'm not going to say too much more at this time, there's a good deal of story here and anything I say will be a bit of a spoiler, so take another hour to see how our big break works out for Jackie and V.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

A small detail I love about the penthouse scene is that Adam Smasher just stares you down the entire time he's there, and if you had the eye upgrade that let you see if enemies are aware of you or not, you'd see that he is VERY much aware of you, he just doesn't give a poo poo.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Well poo poo. Is the whole heist thing just the Corpo path or do they all play out similarly?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Well poo poo. Is the whole heist thing just the Corpo path or do they all play out similarly?

This section is all the same in each path, just the some of the dialogue changes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

So here's the thing about the paths: Everything before the timeskip montage at the start is different for each type. The Nomad meets Jackie when they take a job smuggling an iguana into Night City. From there the story itself plays out the same regardless of path. You get dialog options with some characters and in some situations depending on the path and that's about it. We saw some of that when talking to Miltec earlier and again when we went to meet Evelyne at the club where we first saw Jackie in person. I don't want to reduce it to something overly basic because you do get some cool moments or interesting background details when you select those specific options, but this is sort of like picking between War Hero, Sole Survivor or Streetrat in Mass Effect. After a while the fact that you saved your whole unit on Torfan or were the only one who lived through it (I played the ME remaster but recalled everything about it so well I skipped a lot of the dialog, to be honest) stops being mentioned and after that some characters bring it up on occasion. There are missions specific to each background, but it's like a single one and they're optional.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thanks y'all. It would be awesome for a game to make entirely different stories for each background, but maybe I just want a game with lots of characters.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm going to try and get two episodes out a week for the next while, it all depends on my ability to record and edit in that time.

One thing I have to say about this game is that when it wants to gut punch you it'll do it a couple times for good measure. Johnny/Keanu Reeves being in the game wasn't a secret, it was revealed at E3 and Reeves was the spokesperson for the game in the runup to release. How he shows up and the consequences weren't really understood until after release, which I think is a pretty great way to handle things. His incorporation built hype (we were in the middle of the first wave of John Wick stuff at the time and he could do no wrong) and gave fans of the TTRPG a bone as Silverhand is apparently a pretty big deal in the setting. One of the more fun parts of the game is how Johnny and V build their relationship as time goes on. That much is really up to the player, but you can see them build respect for each other over time no matter which choices you make.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It's still a huge bonus to have a netrunner on site even in 2077(Hence why there's one in konpeki), but the flathead was designed to let netrunners be offsite for things like this heist.
You could technically also use another person as a proxy(Like what T-Bug did in the braindance part), but this requires a fuckload of trust on the proxies side since you basically give them full control over, well, literally everything connected to you.
There are obviously netrunners that can do everything remotely, but ones that can do it on the level of a professional netrunner while not being in any way local, are very few and far between, and are basically prodigies like Rache Bartmoss(the one who caused the DataKrash), and Spider Murphy(The netrunner in the flashback).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

On some level you have to accept the convention of cyberspace and datajacks and whatever, and I don't like them. We already have cyberspace metaverse poo poo in real life right now and nobody uses them because the usability is poo poo and will forever be so. The hacker should be at home and posting from the toilet, and should die of being traced and hit with a hit squad, or survive because their office is temporarily in the back of the PT boat and the offsite team lead saw it coming and is dodging hellfires by snaking between cargo ships. (Or on site and grumbling while carrying an insane range of hardware to successfully connect to the infinity of lovely connector types that plague the Earth, don't make me believe the number will actually go down with the corporate uprising.)

In this setting, cyberspace doesn't even have the excuse of being possibly something like magical that it has in shadowrun.

E: On the other hand, I can appreciate a nice delayed title screen, I will nod sagely and smile at a title screen drop two thirds into a game right in the darkest moments of the plot.

EE: Oh, yeah, that door you get to the stage area by? It's mounted the wrong way, emergency exit crash bar doors should open outward. Perfectly in character for Night City for it to be mounted the wrong way round but it really annoyed me really bad the first time I saw it. Increases in production values just seem to make me angrier.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 2, 2023

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Not very familiar with the original Cyberpunk source material, but going out on a limb to say I imagine having netrunners operate on-site is a conceit of it being a D&D-ish tabletop RPG where the whole party goes to explore the "dungeon" together and you are afforded a lot more roleplaying opportunities with all characters occupying the same physical location. Similarly if the enemy netrunners are in the same physical location, it allows characters without strong hacking ability to incapacitate them with more conventional methods. In case your party doesn't have a hacker or whatever.

And of course, I guess also both the original Cyberpunk TTRPG and the early cyberpunk fiction that inspired it came out at a time when there was less public understanding about the Internet and in what way it would develop in the next few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

EE: Oh, yeah, that door you get to the stage area by? It's mounted the wrong way, emergency exit crash bar doors should open outward. Perfectly in character for Night City for it to be mounted the wrong way round but it really annoyed me really bad the first time I saw it. Increases in production values just seem to make me angrier.

Unless it's intentional because it's a dream sequence flashback.