Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
That's not really true. The games weren't selected for TV in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mickolution posted:

That's not really true. The games weren't selected for TV in the first place.

Weird, I can watch them without a problem.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Weird, I can watch them without a problem.

It sounds impossible, but the British broadcasting rules for the Prem are even worse than US blackout restrictions.

I get just about all the matches I want here for about $50/month on top of my cable subscription. That's $30 for the general sports package that has CL rights and $20 for Sky that has the Prem. How the gently caress does that £1056/year break down?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

greazeball posted:

It sounds impossible, but the British broadcasting rules for the Prem are even worse than US blackout restrictions.

I get just about all the matches I want here for about $50/month on top of my cable subscription. That's $30 for the general sports package that has CL rights and $20 for Sky that has the Prem. How the gently caress does that £1056/year break down?

Oh, I'm well aware of the British rules for broadcasting. The idea that a match "wasn't selected for TV" despite airing in 200 other countries is just so goddamn stupid.

I spend about $15/month on services to watch football (ESPN, Peacock, Paramount+) plus another $15/month for the cable package that shows football on terrestrial TV.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

greazeball posted:

Sky Sports, BT Sport, and then Amazon loving Prime for a handful of games. Sky Stream (the IPTV puck thing if you don't want a dish) is £26 which includes Netflix (no option to take Netflix away), Sports is £20/month, BT Sport is £25/month, and another £6 for UHD for £77/month plus £9 for Amazon. £1032 annually with a load of poo poo you aren't interested in.

And as the tweet said, nearly half the games can't be watched. So once someone goes out to find a stream for their team once, are they really going to keep paying that sort of cash?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shrapnig posted:

Oh, I'm well aware of the British rules for broadcasting. The idea that a match "wasn't selected for TV" despite airing in 200 other countries is just so goddamn stupid.

Please let us know how many tiers of professional football there are in your country. There are many in England and that’s why the TV rules exist.

And it makes sense for it to carry over for re-schedules games, otherwise it’d be in the teams interest to reschedule as many games as possible for more money.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

wooger posted:

Please let us know how many tiers of professional football there are in your country. There are many in England and that’s why the TV rules exist.

And it makes sense for it to carry over for re-schedules games, otherwise it’d be in the teams interest to reschedule as many games as possible for more money.

Wow, what fascinating information I definitely didn't already know.

The blackout rule is an archaic and anachronistic idea that should have gone away 20 years ago.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

MLS may be a joke league, but Apple's broadcasting deal is loving stellar. Every game live with no blackout restrictions whatsoever and it's cheap AF next to some of these costs you Brits are having to deal with to watch literally half the games played.

It's astonishing that more leagues, especially those so highly sought after like the EPL, can't get something like this going (I know, I know, money and all that).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

MLS may be a joke league, but Apple's broadcasting deal is loving stellar. Every game live with no blackout restrictions whatsoever and it's cheap AF next to some of these costs you Brits are having to deal with to watch literally half the games played.

Yes clearly we can all learn a lot from the MLS.

A single cartel league that has no relegation, gets far less revenue than the premier league and has far lower quality football.

No one wants to watch it so it’s cheap, and it’s not important to anyone so broadcast rights aren’t required by law to be split up.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Lol you're getting very weirdly defensive about the British broadcasting rules

Let's take MLS out of the equation and try this: there are probably more people in America watching tonight's games on television than in the country where they're happening. That in and of itself is incredibly silly.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I will pay unlimited broadcasting money to whichever telly company can give me nfl redzone but for premier league matches. You can sit there and play with all your silly attendance figures as much as you like

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Or you can compare to another country, where every match in all three tiers are available live and on demand every week.

But then I can say “the J-League has a better deal in Japan for fans than the English pyramid in its home market” and nobody will believe me.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

you could honestly just play all of the PL games on a Satuday evening / Sunday, to give people the opportunity to watch as much lower-level garbage hack-and-kick ball as possible before going to a local game after the Everton livestream is finished

it works in Italy, and that's not something you hear often

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FullLeatherJacket posted:

you could honestly just play all of the PL games on a Satuday evening / Sunday, to give people the opportunity to watch as much lower-level garbage hack-and-kick ball as possible before going to a local game after the Everton livestream is finished

it works in Italy, and that's not something you hear often

Terrible idea for away fans who have to travel to the other end of the country, 3pm will stay forever.

All other European leagues have poo poo all money compared to the premier league, because their TV deals are real bad. So in some cases they’re desperate and willing to compromise the sport for €€€.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/_GIFN/status/1631051471918870529

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

He's coming home

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

king poo poo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

wooger posted:

Terrible idea for away fans who have to travel to the other end of the country, 3pm will stay forever.

All other European leagues have poo poo all money compared to the premier league, because their TV deals are real bad. So in some cases they’re desperate and willing to compromise the sport for €€€.

the elites don't want you to know this, but you can hire a minibus from a man in guildford, for money

I don't expect it to change at any point in the near future, but they easily could if there was a desire to, it's not an intractable facet of the universe that top-level games need to kick off at the same time as the national league north

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Fly lands on Sean Dyche's head in press conference - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdnqgk4J_M4

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
March, no Marsch. Do the needful.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bring him home chelsea

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

wooger posted:

You think they care about fans? That's sweet.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mickolution posted:

You think they care about fans? That's sweet.

I think that this TV and scheduling requirement helps in having children able to attend matches, which helps with all aspects of making football more appealing and marketable.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

wooger posted:

I think that this TV and scheduling requirement helps in having children able to attend matches, which helps with all aspects of making football more appealing and marketable.

Yeah, that's great but I meant them caring about away fans travel.

On your point though, isn't the average age of fans in attendance rising sharply, though? Or is that just the Premier League where they're totally priced out of it?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1631263079811129346

He managed one match for Spurs in February, the 4-1 loss to Leicester.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
That is the most Tottenham Hotspur thing I've ever seen in my life

Big picture of the champions league trophy with PARTICIPANT in block letters in front of it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Isn’t the least impactful part of managing the stuff that happens during the match? He was involved in all of the prep work leading up to the matches, which is where game plans are formed. During the match he can yell at players who don’t hear him and sub a few times.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I will pay unlimited broadcasting money to whichever telly company can give me nfl redzone but for premier league matches. You can sit there and play with all your silly attendance figures as much as you like

We have that here in America on Peacock. It's called Premier League Goal Rush. Only problem with it is that it seems to do this weird hitching thing that makes it difficult for me to watch.

The Apple TV MLS deal is pretty awesome and light years better in quality than when it was on ESPN and Fox, but on the off chance MLS does actually become really big and popular someday they will absolutely slice and dice the rights for it up like they are doing over there for the EPL.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Shrapnig posted:

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1631263079811129346

He managed one match for Spurs in February, the 4-1 loss to Leicester.

I would put money on him actually hating that he was nominated for a pity prize

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

We have that here in America on Peacock. It's called Premier League Goal Rush. Only problem with it is that it seems to do this weird hitching thing that makes it difficult for me to watch.

Holy poo poo, I always thought this was just something wrong with my feed or the app or something in my end.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Holy poo poo, I always thought this was just something wrong with my feed or the app or something in my end.

Yeah, it's really weird, it looks like it's constantly dropping frames and makes it borderline unwatchable at times. Which is a shame cause Leeds is the only team I actually care to watch a full game of uninterrupted, them and any game that has big title or relegation ramifications. Everything else would be cool to watch just through Goal Rush.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 3, 2023

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

blue squares posted:

Isn’t the least impactful part of managing the stuff that happens during the match? He was involved in all of the prep work leading up to the matches, which is where game plans are formed. During the match he can yell at players who don’t hear him and sub a few times.

I don't think that's right. All that prep is good for the first 15-45 minutes, but after that they have to change something because a team never comes out exactly like expected or something in the game changes the plan. Then there's all the changes made at halftime.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

The Apple TV MLS deal is pretty awesome and light years better in quality than when it was on ESPN and Fox, but on the off chance MLS does actually become really big and popular someday they will absolutely slice and dice the rights for it up like they are doing over there for the EPL.

I've got some good news for you

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

How common is it for the manager/first team coach to attend an U14 match anyway, especially notoriously hostile to youth team players like Jose?

Sounds like he's trying to stir up poo poo all across the club, which lol, serves them right for hiring him to begin with.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/02/premier-league-newcastle-owners-us-court-case-amnesty

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sorry amnesty you called israel an apartheid state so now everyone hates you

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

greazeball posted:

I've got some good news for you

Leeds are gonna get Potter sacked this weekend?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
“Big” Bobby Firmino is apparently leaving Liverpool in the summer and I’m as gutted as a grown man is allowed to be. My favourite player in the Klopp era. He’s a few years past his peak but he has always worked his socks off and is the ultimate team player. Like Kuyt, but with skills!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Bobby was/is fantastic, he and his ludicrous smile and skills will be greatly missed

https://youtu.be/MjOVtDp5VOE

I’ll be on a plane Sunday to miss the match against Pooshited, I’m wondering how bad they’ll be after the several false dawns the past couple of weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
United will be pretty bad.