Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Internetjack posted:

I can't even imagine what a 7.8 would be like. I was also in the Loma Prieta in 1989 and that was called a 7.1 at the time, now classified as a 6.9 (lol, sex number). But that quake took down the silicon valley and the bay area for a couple of days. Part of the bay bridge that collapsed took weeks to repair. A place where homes and infrastructure are specifically designed to withstand quakes.

7.8 is like "Is Godzilla rising out of the ground?" level of scary.

I was in Milpitas and it's one of my first, clear, verifiable, incredibly traumatic memories. The casualty toll from this makes that seem like I just pooed in the bath or some equally inconsequential poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Here's hoping all the engineering that's gone into earthquake-proofing the West Coast is worth a drat.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I did poo in the bath. no regrets.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Cugel the Clever posted:

Here's hoping all the engineering that's gone into earthquake-proofing the West Coast is worth a drat.
Can't wait to live on California island.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cugel the Clever posted:

Or it fails entirely and San Francisco falls into the sea.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im eating a turkey sandwich in solidarity

oh poo poo bacon on it nvm

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I've been to Turkey. Not the region that was hit, but Istanbul, and remember thinking as the plane was coming down to land that for an earthquake-prone area of the world there were a lot of densely-packed buildings which looked very cheaply built.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bad Purchase posted:

op’s mama is cartographically monitored by the US postal service even when she’s worldwide, which is always

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Donated to a local Kurdish organization here for earthquake relief, and woof the comments on most news orgs here are worse than the usual racist chunder. The family of four under an apartment ain’t gonna hear how Erdogan is literally every Turkish person and thus, should go gently caress off, Svensson. Too busy being extremely loving dead.

But yeah, the images we have here are horrendous. Can’t imagine being here and living in that unknowable terror of loved ones safety back in Syria or Turkey. Something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy, but definitely will sign off on for Erdogan. Shoulda been LarsTayyip

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

teen witch posted:

Donated to a local Kurdish organization here for earthquake relief

what are the goon recommended charities / aid organisations to donate to here?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hammerite posted:

what are the goon recommended charities / aid organisations to donate to here?

No clue, however I donated here: https://rodasolen.se
No English website, but if you need a translation lmk

Heads up, the charity is verified and legit, on the level, but Swedish-Turkish relations wrt: Kurdish people existing - not great. I don’t see it getting better.

This is probably remnants of college leftism security culture but in donating, assume you’re cool with being tied to an org that explicitly supports the Kurdish people, even if it’s like a dollar.

I cannot go on the record and say whatever ties this org has (and tbh I don’t care too too much), but Erdogan and his government are autocratic fuckfaces. Presume they would or could in the future, do as autocratic fuckfaces do.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think we're supposed to call it Turkiye now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

STABASS posted:

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

STABASS posted:

oh? no umlaut in türkiye? racist or jusdt ignorant?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
i will make up for the other poster by giving tü̈rkiye 2 umauts

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I was visiting a friend in Japan in 2009 and slept through a 6.4 earthquake (August 11). My survival instincts are lacking it seems.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
Yeah you need to be awake during an earthquake so you can jump really high until the ground stops shaking

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Staying asleep was the right move, an earthquake’s vision is based on movement.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

latinotwink1997 posted:

I was visiting a friend in Japan in 2009 and slept through a 6.4 earthquake (August 11). My survival instincts are lacking it seems.
Maybe you were just sleeping on one of those mattresses you can jump around a wine glass on.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Knormal posted:

Maybe you were just sleeping on one of those mattresses you can jump around a wine glass on.

Nah, it was one of those capsule hostels. Literally everyone else was talking about it in the morning, except my buddy (who also slept through it) and I.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

latinotwink1997 posted:

Nah, it was one of those capsule hostels. Literally everyone else was talking about it in the morning, except my buddy (who also slept through it) and I.
Was alcohol involved?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Was alcohol involved?

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
seems like being a refugee would suck rear end, in my opinion