Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

The Walking Dead is an episodic adventure game series developed and published by Telltale Games. The series is based on The Walking Dead graphic novels and takes in the same fictional world, the games events occur shortly after the onset of the zombie apocalypse in Georgia. The game consists of four series, a supplemental episode and a stand-alone mini-series involving Michonne, a popular character from the graphic novels and TV series. The characters involved in this series are mostly original, but some characters do make a crossover from the graphic novels.

The focus of this series was on the story and character development, there is some puzzle solving but the developers have taken a simplistic approach to them in an order to make the gameplay flow more fluidly. The biggest element of this series is the choices that you make, a lot of what you do and what you say will affect how the rest of the story plays out. The choices that you make won't just affect the rest of the episode, they will shape how the rest of the series plays out and the storylines of later series as well.

Some things to cover before we start

:siren: The Walking Dead game is rated 18+ “The game contains strong language and scenes of violence, gore, and horror in an apocalypse setting.” :siren:

:siren: No spoilers! :siren: None at all, please! I'm not going to speak about the storyline as I'd like to keep everything a surprise. Let's all discover everything together, either for the first time or like it's for the first time. If there's something that you absolutely need to talk to me about with anything that's coming up then put it in spoiler tags or PM me.

I will be using the The Telltale Definitive Series version to LP the game and I will be playing through the entire series in the order of release. This includes: The Walking Dead: Season One, 400 Days, The Walking Dead: Season Two, The Walking Dead: Michonne, The Walking Dead: A New Frontier and The Walking Dead: The Final Season.

I plan to end each episode with a major choice that needs to be made and that choice will be decided by you all. I will do this by creating a poll for people to vote on or people can make their choices known in the thread by posting them. I may also do the same with other matters that need to be settled as well, some of these may be ongoing polls but I will do those as and when I need to. I will keep the voting open for 72 hours for all of the polls so as to be consistent.

We can play the series in whatever personality style that we want to, I'm going to keep the main character as chatty and amicable as possible throughout.

LP details

I'm aiming to update twice a week as I need to work around the voting times. I'm unable to create a rigid timetable as I have work, childcare and life to work around but if I'm unable to update within a reasonable amount of time I will let you all know in advance if possible. This is going to be a VLP and I always record commentary live as I'm useless with anything scripted. I usually like to record extra content but due to the sheer amount of variables, I'm not going to record any bonus footage. This LP is going to consist of one straight playthrough from the start to the end.

Let's Play: The Walking Dead

Season One

Episode One - A New Day

Episode Two - Starved For Help

Episode Three - Long Road Ahead

Episode Four - Around Every Corner

Episode Five - No Time Left

400 Days

Season Two

Episode One - All That Remains

Episode Two - A House Divided

Episode Three - In Harm's Way

Episode Four - Amid The Ruins

Episode Five - No Going Back

Michonne

Episode One - In Too Deep

Episode Two - Give No Shelter

Episode Three - What We Deserve

A New Frontier

Episode One - Ties That Bind - Part One

Episode Two - Ties That Bind - Part Two

Episode Three - Above The Law

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The first vote can be cast in the thread or here: https://strawpoll.com/polls/xVg7jd04Gnr

Edit: Voting ends in 72 hours.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 7, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've only experienced this series in LP format and I've actually never seen the end before, but I loved what I've seen. Glad you are doing this RBD!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've never actually watched the show, read the graphic novels, or played/watched this game, but it will be neat to finally see what all the talk was about!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It seems like we have a clear winner in the poll, I'm going to see it through until the end though.

That Italian Guy posted:

I've only experienced this series in LP format and I've actually never seen the end before, but I loved what I've seen. Glad you are doing this RBD!

Thank you, I will try to do this some justice! I've only played through the first two series, anything after is going to be a complete surprise.

To be more accurate, I've played through this season several times to see how different scenarios turn out. I've played through 400 days and season two only once. According to my Steam library its been almost eight years since I last played through a Walking Dead game.

Shei-kun posted:

I've never actually watched the show, read the graphic novels, or played/watched this game, but it will be neat to finally see what all the talk was about!

I started watching the TV series when it originally aired and moved onto the graphic novels very quickly afterwards. I've read about two-thirds of the series and need to invest in the rest of them at some point. The graphic novels are great! The TV series is a very mixed bag and I ended up abandoning it about halfway through season six for a variety of reasons. I am planning to start it again very soon and trying to power through the issues.

I'll try to elaborate more as time goes on but I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't watched/read the original storyline.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah - I have a lot of feelings about this game series, and the resulting fallout on TellTale games... But I don't know if this is the thread to share 'em? While there wouldn't be specific spoilers, it does address the mechanics of the games.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Ah - I have a lot of feelings about this game series, and the resulting fallout on TellTale games... But I don't know if this is the thread to share 'em? While there wouldn't be specific spoilers, it does address the mechanics of the games.

If this isn't a thread to talk about this game series then I don't know which one would be apart from the adventure game thread. Feel free to express yourself on anything that comes up.

I have my issues with the old Telltale company, it's one of the reasons why I haven't played or bought anything by them in many years.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll give them the benefit of believing they began with the very best of intentions, and I remember their early games as very good indeed.
I'm placing the blame on squarely on capitalism, because I'm both lazy and correct.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
For the company themselves, I place the blame squarely on the execs and not the creative teams who actually made the games. The people working directly on the games had passion and love for their craft and have my utmost respect, as it shines through in the games themselves (at least the ones made before everything went to poo poo, haven't heard much about the games finished afterwards).

I remember Tales from the Borderlands very fondly, as it was both incredibly fun and managed to take all the things actually good about the Borderlands writing and worldbuilding to the forefront without throwing any of it out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yeah - I don't have any beef with the actual creators of the games, my main complaint is against those who decided to expand TTG to obtain and work with as many IPs as they could.

My secondary complaint is against the 'your choices matter' mechanic which started off intriguing, but just started getting more and more threadbare at an exponential rate as the games progressed.

Now, I'm not gonna deny - making a game that ACTUALLY does that is outstandingly hard; the closest I've ever seen a game truly reach that is Disco Elysium, and even that has some railroading. TTG didn't make one that reached that level.

BUT it doesn't necessarily matter that much, so long as the story is good, and regrettably , that's not usually the case, imo. Tales from the Borderlands is probably the best example of an exception to this, but for a non-TTG (and more recent) example, I would point to Pentiment.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I mentioned earlier that I have played the first season extensively and have little to no experience with what follows afterwards. It's a shame if things do start to degrade as the first season starts off very strongly. But knowing with how TTG handled the company its final few years I can't say that I'm surprised. I may return with more LPs from TTG in the future. I enjoyed Tales From The Borderlands and there are a few others that haven't been covered yet.

The poll isn't over but there is an obvious winner, I've already recorded the next update and I will post it tonight along with the next voting options.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The time on the poll isn't quite up yet but there already is a clear winner. Something has come up so I won't be returning home tonight, so I'm updating now from my phone while I can. I had everything prepared in advance, thankfully.

The decision has been made to leave to find help while it's still light outside.

This video ends with another choice to make and this one has a timer. You can choose either option or you can choose neither option.

Voting ends in 72 hours: https://strawpoll.com/polls/NMnQ55Bz1n6

(That banner looks very dark on my phone)

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 9, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We have a very popular choice so far.

I'm still trying to work out how a stationary tractor was able to run someone over. Unless the keys were still in the ignition and Shawn didn't check before placing an excitable child on the seat of it.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020
Consider me a casual watcher of the games and parts of the TV show. I recall early games entries being better than the later ones, regarding plots and choices. I also know of some later game plotpoints and will most likely watch to figure out how those happen.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Again, RBD, my viewpoint is entirely that - an opinion. If you enjoy the series (and I hope you do) all power to you.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

NVTrainee posted:

Consider me a casual watcher of the games and parts of the TV show. I recall early games entries being better than the later ones, regarding plots and choices. I also know of some later game plotpoints and will most likely watch to figure out how those happen.

Samovar posted:

Again, RBD, my viewpoint is entirely that - an opinion. If you enjoy the series (and I hope you do) all power to you.

A major plot point has already been spoilt for me in the final season but it can't be helped when it was part of the advertisements.

For better or worse, I will see the series through to the end. I'll happily give my honest opinion on things as they progress, I've no qualms with calling out issues with games.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Unless we have a surge of votes swinging a different way within the next few hours it would seem like we have another clear winner. I've already recorded the next update in advance as I had some free time this morning. I'm going to be busy over the next few days because of the school holidays so I thought that I'd make the most out of my available time. I'll post the update tonight when I finish work.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There is no poll with this video as there wasn't a big decision to make. There were decisions to be made but they were early on and I thought the best thing to do right now was to remain diplomatic in regard to the situation. I will make a recurring poll at some point but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This post was updated as I watched the video so I could remember the choices and such.

* Definitely agreed with your choices involving Larry and Kenny regarding the potential bite. If Duck had been bitten, he'd have likely been crying from the pain and not just numb from the shock.
* Being honest with the others as much as you can without stirring up drama's been a good plan, too
* I'm not sure Clementine would be able to handle hearing her parents are dead just yet, but at the same time, the longer we wait, the longer she'll have held out hope and the harder it will finally hit, so I never know what to do in those sorts of situations (at least when survival is on the line, otherwise I'm almost always a proponent of telling the truth)

I really did think we'd have a chance at the beginning to do more than we did, though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Shei-kun posted:

This post was updated as I watched the video so I could remember the choices and such.

* Definitely agreed with your choices involving Larry and Kenny regarding the potential bite. If Duck had been bitten, he'd have likely been crying from the pain and not just numb from the shock.
* Being honest with the others as much as you can without stirring up drama's been a good plan, too
* I'm not sure Clementine would be able to handle hearing her parents are dead just yet, but at the same time, the longer we wait, the longer she'll have held out hope and the harder it will finally hit, so I never know what to do in those sorts of situations (at least when survival is on the line, otherwise I'm almost always a proponent of telling the truth)

I really did think we'd have a chance at the beginning to do more than we did, though.

I was expecting at least an attempt to save Shawn from Lee.

I'm not sure if these warrant spoilers or not but I'll reveal what would have happened if we had gone down the previous paths in the last couple of videos:

First video:

Leaving at night - Shawn and a Sheriff's Deputy would have been outside the gate, they would have taken us to the farm after speaking to them.

Second video:

Duck - It is possible to fail to save him, at which point Kenny rushes in and carries him to safety.

Shawn - Lee attempts to pull Shawn from under the tractor and/or attempts to move the tractor but can't. Kenny runs in, scoops up Duck, takes a look at us struggling and then runs off.

Neither Choice - Kenny rushes past to rescue Duck, then runs off to safety.

No matter what we do and which ever way we do it, Shawn dies.

I would talk more about the third video but it would most likely spoil what's to come.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this update, Lee and Carley go tot he motel to rescue Glenn and discover that he's not the only one in need of rescuing.

This is a short segment if you know what you're doing and it comes with another choice to make. This isn't a major decision to make but it does affect your relationships with certain people.

Voting ends in 72 hours: https://strawpoll.com/polls/mpnboo80Lg5

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hmm... some kind of undead epidemic that makes you come back from the dead, she's bitten, and they're attracted by noise.

Nope. Nothing could go wrong here at all. Let's give her the gun and certainly not regret it in 4 seconds when she comes up from the grave.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Hmm... some kind of undead epidemic that makes you come back from the dead, she's bitten, and they're attracted by noise.

Nope. Nothing could go wrong here at all. Let's give her the gun and certainly not regret it in 4 seconds when she comes up from the grave.

:lmao: I know that they just want a quick end to it all and it's the humane way, but I'd rather not take the risk of being eaten alive while having to travel several miles on foot back to the pharmacy with an unknown amount of zombies walking around. Giving her the gun seems to be the most popular choice right now though.

I've also found this:

quote:

One of the most prominent myths in the silencer industry, and one I have seen countless times on TV – that you can use a pillow as a silencer. A pillow will not work as a silencer. A pillow might reduce a handguns sound report from around 160dB to 150dB decibels, a mere 10dB reduction that makes no audible difference.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Oh I absolutely voted to give it to her. My understanding is that this game is the base model that all of telltale graphic novel factory was built off of, and half the fun of an interactive story is that you can make silly decisions and it doesn't lead to failure, it just changes up the story being told a little.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:hmmyes:

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh I absolutely voted to give it to her. My understanding is that this game is the base model that all of telltale graphic novel factory was built off of, and half the fun of an interactive story is that you can make silly decisions and it doesn't lead to failure, it just changes up the story being told a little.

I've never thought of it like that before. I like the way that you think!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Giving her the gun was the clear winner. The group return to the pharmacy and Lee decides that it's time to retrieve the keys from his dead brother. We're almost at the end of this episode, but before we see the ending we have one last decision to make.

Voting ends in 72 hours: https://strawpoll.com/polls/05ZdWWAX4g6

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
no goon left behind :reject:

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

They really should’ve done more to make this a harder choice. Instead it’s between a character you spend a decent amount of time with with a gun versus basically just a guy.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Funktastic posted:

They really should’ve done more to make this a harder choice. Instead it’s between a character you spend a decent amount of time with with a gun versus basically just a guy.

Yeah, this one does seem a little imbalanced. We did spend some time zombie watching with Doug but it's not the same as someone who's saved your life and helped to save Glenn's life.

STABASS posted:

no goon left behind :reject:

I don't think we really have a choice in the matter any more. We could still take him with once the zombies are done with him. Well, we can take the parts of him that are still salvageable.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 20, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This one just struck me as a lot dumber than the last one. Last time we had the goofiness of man stuck under tractor somehow, but in this case we literally just demonstrated Clemintine being able to think under pressure and contribute by gophering. She has just heard that of our two people struggling one of them just needs bullets from her bag that she pointed out to the rest of the room.

What exactly is stopping Lee from helping Doug while Clementine tosses Carley the bullets here? The decision itself feels a little goofy compared to the last one where it was just the situation.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

This one just struck me as a lot dumber than the last one. Last time we had the goofiness of man stuck under tractor somehow, but in this case we literally just demonstrated Clemintine being able to think under pressure and contribute by gophering. She has just heard that of our two people struggling one of them just needs bullets from her bag that she pointed out to the rest of the room.

What exactly is stopping Lee from helping Doug while Clementine tosses Carley the bullets here? The decision itself feels a little goofy compared to the last one where it was just the situation.

Now that's being too logical!

I can only speculate at this point. Lee is in a state of panic and this is probably something that didn't enter his head at that point. If anything, Lee could have thrown the bag to Carley himself and then rushed off to save Doug.

Maybe he's being protective of Clementine now that they've broken through?

Two of his group have been grabbed so it could just be a case of reacting over thinking. You don't have a lot of time to react to this one even though there isn't a timer. I had to cut the video in the middle of talking as the game suddenly decided that if I wasn't going to make a choice then Lee was going to die alongside them.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 20, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Unless something major changes in the next three hours, Doug is definitely going to be zombie chow. I was going to record the ending tonight but something has come up so I'll do it tomorrow morning.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Poor Doug. He just wanted to help.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I often wonder what I'd do if I'd ended up in a zombie apocalypse like the one here and as much as I'd say that I'd be a badass zombie killer, no I'd probably die within the first few months.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I often wonder what I'd do if I'd ended up in a zombie apocalypse like the one here and as much as I'd say that I'd be a badass zombie killer, no I'd probably die within the first few months.

I appreciate your optimism. I'd probably be the clueless guy that gets killed out of curiosity in the opening moments.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Carley was the clear winner and gets to survive for another day. This is the finale of the first episode and it's only about ten minutes long. The rest of the video shows us stats about the decisions that we made, a preview of the next episode and the credits for this episode. I've taken a screenshot of the stats to post here so you can stop watching at the ten-minute mark if you don't want spoilers for what's to come.

I'll most likely start the second episode on Sunday.

Judge Tesla posted:

I'd like to say that I'd do alright but I'd end up doing something stupid at some point and getting myself killed needlessly.

Edit: I asked a joke question then realised what I asked.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 23, 2023

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
interesting that all the choice stats are so close. anecdotally I remember there always being one or two that were in the 80-90% range, but I've never played a telltale game more than ~6 month after release. maybe they tend to even out over time

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I actually just checked because I remembered the same, and the last play though I watched of this 6 years ago it was 76% for picking Carley.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

STABASS posted:

interesting that all the choice stats are so close. anecdotally I remember there always being one or two that were in the 80-90% range, but I've never played a telltale game more than ~6 month after release. maybe they tend to even out over time

Funktastic posted:

I actually just checked because I remembered the same, and the last play though I watched of this 6 years ago it was 76% for picking Carley.

These may be the stats solely for the Definitive Edition as it operates on a different plane to the stand-alone releases.

I remember some of the stats being completely one-sided when I played this series many years ago. Carley was also heavily favoured, as was siding with Kenny over Larry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm thinking about starting up episode two tomorrow as the first video is only going to be five minutes long, including the recap, because there's going to be another tough decision to make.