Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah - I have a lot of feelings about this game series, and the resulting fallout on TellTale games... But I don't know if this is the thread to share 'em? While there wouldn't be specific spoilers, it does address the mechanics of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yeah - I don't have any beef with the actual creators of the games, my main complaint is against those who decided to expand TTG to obtain and work with as many IPs as they could.

My secondary complaint is against the 'your choices matter' mechanic which started off intriguing, but just started getting more and more threadbare at an exponential rate as the games progressed.

Now, I'm not gonna deny - making a game that ACTUALLY does that is outstandingly hard; the closest I've ever seen a game truly reach that is Disco Elysium, and even that has some railroading. TTG didn't make one that reached that level.

BUT it doesn't necessarily matter that much, so long as the story is good, and regrettably , that's not usually the case, imo. Tales from the Borderlands is probably the best example of an exception to this, but for a non-TTG (and more recent) example, I would point to Pentiment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Again, RBD, my viewpoint is entirely that - an opinion. If you enjoy the series (and I hope you do) all power to you.